IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Deep South Texas pics 10 months after Arctic blast

Xenon

8 minutes ago, Aceraceae said:

They really have them there? Large but recently planted? 

I never saw them but that was my understanding, some were planted there before the freeze, looks like they are no longer there though, hopefully they will replant.

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

47 minutes ago, Aceraceae said:

They really have them there? Large but recently planted? 

edit

"Don't know if they died outright or were removed. There are some new foxtail palms at the residential area "

@Xenon you saw the area and they're gone, or standing dead trunks? 

They planted a long row of very young royals (3 or 5 gallon?) in summer of 2020 along the mid-high bay.

They are missing from recent web footage. Probably would've been removed anyways due to construction. 

• Upvote 1

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

5 hours ago, Xenon said:

They are at the north end of SPI, a bit up the road from the sea turtle center just before the dunes. Didn't get a pic but the two large curving dead trunks were unmistakable. One was similar in size to the two on E Red Snapper St. 

Okay.  Thanks.  It wasn't the two from me (Green Malayan Dwarf and Fiji Dwarf) that were planted at the Plant Center there on the island on the left side of the road about 4 years ago, were they?

John

1 hour ago, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

Okay.  Thanks.  It wasn't the two from me (Green Malayan Dwarf and Fiji Dwarf) that were planted at the Plant Center there on the island on the left side of the road about 4 years ago, were they?

John

No, these were in the backyard of a house next to a pool. I've afraid your palms never really took off, seems the center didn't irrigate them enough if at all...most of their other plants were also declining in summer 2020. 

• Like 1

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

3 hours ago, Mr.SamuraiSword said:

No coconuts? Any word on the two on Red Snapper?  Bottles surprised me

Dead 

But there are more bottles, some look even better than what I posted 

• Like 1

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

3 hours ago, Xenon said:

No, these were in the backyard of a house next to a pool. I've afraid your palms never really took off, seems the center didn't irrigate them enough if at all...most of their other plants were also declining in summer 2020. 

Yeah, Jonathan, that's what I was afraid of.  Such as waste of two good, healthy palms.  I wasn't at all impressed by the person who was in charge there back then.

John

16 hours ago, Xenon said:

Araucaria columnaris or Cook pine from New Caledonia, commonly misidentified as "Norfolk Island pine". Here are some better looking ones (most look much worse) on the island (borrowed pic):

FB_IMG_1641583994370.thumb.jpg.f5f9c6edd6be16909b8826a963c67d04.jpg

Can they survive 8A? I'm assuming since they are in texas they could? They look so cool with the leaf segments

3 hours ago, ZPalms said:

Can they survive 8A? I'm assuming since they are in texas they could? They look so cool with the leaf segments

No, they are tropical warm 9b/10a plants. 

This part of Texas rarely freezes. Last year's freeze killed coconuts that were over 20 years old. 

• Like 1

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

Just now, Xenon said:

No, they are tropical warm 9b/10a plants. 

This part of Texas rarely freezes. Last year's freeze killed coconuts that were over 20 years old. 

Oh that's a shame, I was thinking less about the cold part cause I just thought oh it's a pine it should do fine but makes sense for a plant that naturally lives around equator but very cool though! guess if I wanted one I could pot one :blush2:

3 minutes ago, ZPalms said:

Oh that's a shame, I was thinking less about the cold part cause I just thought oh it's a pine it should do fine but makes sense for a plant that naturally lives around equator but very cool though! guess if I wanted one I could pot one :blush2:

They aren't true pines but an older lineage of conifers that once dominated the earth before the proliferation of flowering plants. So yes, very "Jurassic" looking 

They are commonly available at many big box stores and nurseries during the winter holiday season as "mini" Christmas trees 

Edited by Xenon
  • Like 1

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

2 minutes ago, Xenon said:

They aren't true pines but an older lineage of conifers that once dominated the earth before the proliferation of flowering plants. So yes, very "Jurassic" looking 

They are commonly available at many big box stores and nurseries during the winter holiday season as "mini" Christmas trees 

very interesting and super cool and makes me want one even more i'll have to keep my eye out during the holiday season to see if I can get one :P

16 hours ago, Xenon said:

Dead 

But there are more bottles, some look even better than what I posted 

R.I.P.... Damn.....  How many dead coconuts can you confirm you think?  Bottles still surprise me, the ones you posted don't look half bad.  Any adonidia or other Z10's?

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Here is something I found about 2 months ago and am just now getting around to post.  It appears to me to be some type of Dypsis sp. that survived the February 2021 cold blast.  It is planted outdoors in a condominium complex between buildings. Prior to the cold blast, there were lots of D. decaryi and lutescens on the Island. Many died or suffered significant damage, though many are coming back. Few if any other kinds of Dypsis that I knew of.  Any thoughts on what this is?

unknown dypsis 1.jpg

unknown dypsis 2.jpg

unknown dypsis 3.jpg

unknown dypsis 4.jpg

unknown dypsis 5.jpg

unknown dypsis 6.jpg

unknown dypsis 7.jpg

Clay

South Padre Island, Zone 10b until the next vortex.

16 minutes ago, Xenon said:

Looks like a lone D. lutescens cane 

Guess it is really sun starved.  Looks almost nothing like the other D. lutescens around the island before the winter freeze.  Was hoping it was something a little rarer.  Surprised it is not suckering.  Not even any indication of pruning to keep it a single stem. It came thru the cold better than any other Dypsis in the area that I am aware of.  Several D. dacaryii survived but looked bad for some time while several died outright.

I know of a D. cabade in Harlingen that survived with damage. It was in a protected spot and well cared for.  Have since planted a few of those as well.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Clay

South Padre Island, Zone 10b until the next vortex.