IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Any Mature jubaea or hybrids in PNW?

NWpalms@206

The current weather just has me wondering… are there many, or any mature jubaea or mule or hybrid palms in the northern Oregon/western Washington area that are gonna make it to true adulthood or long term? I mean the various butia and jubaea hybrids, and jubaea mostly. I know the trachycarpus hybrids do. Would Love to see some pics of the biggest baddest hybrids/jubaea in the PNW. Protected or not just wondering can these things really live to maturity, Even jubaea?

Dave Alvarez has videos on youtube

Also if you haven't seen this thread you Need to:  

Also I think I stole this pic from someone here.  Not sure any info on these Jubaeas other than they're up by Seattle somewhere. 

jubaeas_in_pnw.jpg

Edited by Jesse PNW
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Jesse PNW said:

Also I think I stole this pic from someone here.  Not sure any info on these Jubaeas other than they're up by Seattle somewhere. 

jubaeas_in_pnw.jpg

Awesome, thats what im talking about, those jubaeas are amazing! gives me hope. And great video by Dave ive talked to him gonna go check out what hes got this spring also, was gonna get a J/B x syag Schizo from him but turned out there was one right down the street in west seattle, so I havent made it out there yet.

8 minutes ago, Chester B said:

Washington park in Seattle has some big Jubaeas as well. 

Ill have to go check those out, thanks this is exactly what im hoping to see! looks like the jubaea can do it, now im hoping the Jubaea hybrids and Butia hybrids can as well. 

On 12/28/2021 at 8:24 AM, NWpalms@206 said:

The current weather just has me wondering… are there many, or any mature jubaea or mule or hybrid palms in the northern Oregon/western Washington area that are gonna make it to true adulthood or long term? I mean the various butia and jubaea hybrids, and jubaea mostly. I know the trachycarpus hybrids do. Would Love to see some pics of the biggest baddest hybrids/jubaea in the PNW. Protected or not just wondering can these things really live to maturity, Even jubaea?

Dave told me not to worry about wrapping the Jubaea and my Jubaea x Butia.said they should do fine.I did put frost cloth on the hybrids just in case but my Jubaea is exposed to the cold in Mukilteo wa 

20211228_171424.jpg

Edited by Love them palms
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, Love them palms said:

Dave told me not to worry about wrapping the Jubaea and my Jubaea x Butia.said they should do fine.I did put frost cloth on the hybrids just in case but my Jubaea is exposed to the cold in Mukilteo wa 

20211228_171424.jpg

Nice. For all the drama and worry I dont feel like we (or I at least) saw anything too outside the normal range for my area, a little extended... we rarely see 5+ days under freezing and thats definitely hard on the more sensitive palms. That forecast was ugly though I dont blame folks for stressing out a bit. Hoping everyones stuff pulls through. Got my Jubaea x Butia Yatay 5gal coming today will be one of my favorites for sure. Plus a Butia x Parajubaea Sunkha to go along with the BxPJT i have already.  Ive spent too much on Patrick hybrids this month I gotta STOP!! Its tough, and he been a pleasure to work with! The wish list is dwindling... i think its down to 10 palm species/hybrids. 

1) Jubaea x Queen ---?

2) Juabea x Parajubaea (or vise versa, any variant of PJ)----?

3) Juibaea Chilensis ---- Matt Hedlund @ Wanderlust, or Bryan @ Backyard Tropics, or Phil @ JungleMusic

4) Butia Yatay x Queen----- Patrick

5) Butia x Lytocaryum Weddellanium ------- Patrick

6) Butia Eriospatha x  "Silver Queen" Syagrus Rom.  var. "litoralis"----- Mule Palms Of Mississippi

7) Butia Eriospatha ----- Dave Alverez

8) T. Nainital------ Dave Alverez, or Bryan @ Backyard Tropics

9) T. Nainital x T. Waggie------ Dave Alverez

10) Chamaerops Cerifera----- Dave Alverez, or Monrovia.com

11) Chamaerops Vulcano------ Dave Alverez

12) Sabal Riverside------ Dave ALverez, or Matt Hedlund @ Wanderlust

Okay well 12... for now! All but 2 have been found.

3 hours ago, Jesse PNW said:

@NWpalms@206 Patric sells 5 gal sizes?

Yessir he did at least for me, and I’m no one special just met him in December. Maybe I was lucky but he was extremely professional and always returned emails the next day.  Sent me two shipments within a couple weeks 6 palms total. Just got this 5gal today! (and a huge B x PJSunkha in a 8x8x12” busting roots out the bottom) The shipping was almost as much as the palm but he’s super fair priced so don’t bug me to pay 300 total for a 5 gal jubaea hybrid like this. That’s still a deal in my opinion. Trunk base is about 7-8 inches and has a great balance of traits. Has hooked leaf tips, twisted fronds and jubaea trunk but slight V and arch like butia. Really a nice looking palm! The BxPJS is awesome too. 

BB33BDAF-6733-41E5-B233-61CEB4BA8E5E.jpeg

8F996FF4-1635-49B1-8C2A-D7DC264DB90A.jpeg

511B41FB-03F8-4CD7-A86A-5A0F75330AB4.jpeg

1652F7F9-72AB-4256-B45F-3EA73B5A9350.jpeg

4D77CA64-F047-4849-B10F-A46BDC90A3C1.jpeg

9589C06A-8F39-4F4B-806A-6A7C6573A414.jpeg

590CE06E-C4E2-4C89-AD0C-6C95E9C68FCA.jpeg

• Like 2

Beautiful, and worth the money.  I'm surprised he's not charging more for specimens that size.  

Looking forward to seeing pics of it in the future. 

• Like 1

Just now, Jesse PNW said:

Beautiful, and worth the money.  I'm surprised he's not charging more for specimens that size.  

Looking forward to seeing pics of it in the future. 

He really is doing us all a favor he could be so much worse.  Especially with the demand for his signature hybrids. I’m thankful to have all of these and will definitely show them off as they grow. 

On 12/28/2021 at 9:32 AM, Jesse PNW said:

jubaeas_in_pnw.jpg

I'll see if I can find the original post, but if I remember correctly these Jubaea in the last image are in Southern Oregon, not Seattle.

• Like 2

Those bottom 2 jubaea are no joke. The others are close to that and don’t see why they wouldn’t get there. Probably hard to kill a 25 yr old established jubaea, I feel Like if they made it that long theyre pretty bulletproof only time until they’re that big. But maybe there’s a reason there’s no 50ft chilenses any where near Seattle. At least That I’ve heard of yet. Maybe some freak giant somewhere but that’s hard to hide!

Edited by NWpalms@206

Maybe one of these mad scientist palm geniuses can make a jubaea x Santa Catarina Queen someday. That one may be too good to be true. I can’t even find a regular jub x Q. If they crossed as nicely as that one did, then it would have to be the ultimate hardy pinnate. 

24 minutes ago, NWpalms@206 said:

Those bottom 2 jubaea are no joke. The others are close to that and don’t see why they wouldn’t get there. Probably hard to kill a 25 yr old established jubaea, I feel Like if they made it that long theyre pretty bulletproof only time until they’re that big. But maybe there’s a reason there’s no 50ft chilenses any where near Seattle. At least That I’ve heard of yet. Maybe some freak giant somewhere but that’s hard to hide!

There's no 50' Chilensis in the PNW because no one was planting palms up here 100 years ago.  

I wonder when folks started planting palms up here.  Would love to know some historic information for the introduction of palms to this area. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, matthedlund said:

I'll see if I can find the original post, but if I remember correctly these Jubaea in the last image are in Southern Oregon, not Seattle.

Thanks.  I saved that picture, seems like 2 years ago so I'm probably misremembering.  I positively remember that I found it while searching for Jubaeas in the PNW.  

8 minutes ago, Jesse PNW said:

There's no 50' Chilensis in the PNW because no one was planting palms up here 100 years ago.  

I wonder when folks started planting palms up here.  Would love to know some historic information for the introduction of palms to this area. 

True. I’d love to know some history too. 

On 12/29/2021 at 9:40 AM, NWpalms@206 said:

Nice. For all the drama and worry I dont feel like we (or I at least) saw anything too outside the normal range for my area, a little extended... we rarely see 5+ days under freezing and thats definitely hard on the more sensitive palms. That forecast was ugly though I dont blame folks for stressing out a bit. Hoping everyones stuff pulls through. Got my Jubaea x Butia Yatay 5gal coming today will be one of my favorites for sure. Plus a Butia x Parajubaea Sunkha to go along with the BxPJT i have already.  Ive spent too much on Patrick hybrids this month I gotta STOP!! Its tough, and he been a pleasure to work with! The wish list is dwindling... i think its down to 10 palm species/hybrids. 

1) Jubaea x Queen ---?

3) Juibaea Chilensis ---- Matt Hedlund @ Wanderlust, or Bryan @ Backyard Tropics, or Phil @ JungleMusic

6) Butia Eriospatha x  "Silver Queen" Syagrus Rom.  var. "litoralis"----- Mule Palms Of Mississippi

NIce list...can u tell me where did u get your Jubaea X B. yatay?   Have you tried Jubaea X B. eriospatha or B. odorata?  (know any sources for these?).   A nice triple hybrid  I want to try would be the supermule from Moultrie in Florida.... possibly quite hardy and supposedly fast growing.   Also a T. wagenerianus X T. princeps.   Happy growing!!   :-)

1) Jubaea x Queen ---?

Some Oregon nurseries have some of your wish list plants too, if you want other sources...  :-)

29 minutes ago, MarkbVet said:

NIce list...can u tell me where did u get your Jubaea X B. yatay?   Have you tried Jubaea X B. eriospatha or B. odorata?  (know any sources for these?).   A nice triple hybrid  I want to try would be the supermule from Moultrie in Florida.... possibly quite hardy and supposedly fast growing.   Also a T. wagenerianus X T. princeps.   Happy growing!!   :-)

My Jubaea x B.yatay is from Patrick. Although it arrived labeled Jub x butia, so I asked and he said it’s very likely butia yatay but not 100% sure. I got 5gal, so this particular palm was crossed a while back when he began using the yatay. Otherwise it would be oderata or yatay/oderata mutt I think he said. The Jub x Yatay was on his last list but he he was out then later had a 5gal. And I have 2 moultrie super palms too and Love em! Although they’re young and not outside in ground yet but they look promising. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

Lovely plants.!!  Not to sound ignorant (ok, I am!) who is Patrick and where does he sell his plants??   Lol...thanks,  M

31 minutes ago, MarkbVet said:

Some Oregon nurseries have some of your wish list plants too, if you want other sources...  :-)

Good to know thanks! My wife and are are road trippers so a drive to Oregon is no prob. Especially for some palms! This spring I’m gonna finish the list off, hopefully the top 2 will be tough. 

If you haven't been to Raintree in Silverton, you should definitely go.  Big inventory, some hard-to-find stuff, and the prices are reasonable to say the least.  I think his name is Steve?  was a good guy to talk to as well.  And you have to go in their climate controlled greenhouse.  I could live in that greenhouse.  Also probably the biggest Sabal palmettos in the PNW.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, MarkbVet said:

Lovely plants.!!  Not to sound ignorant (ok, I am!) who is Patrick and where does he sell his plants??   Lol...thanks,  M

Patrick is a palm grower in philo, California who specializes in hybridizing. As far as I know he is just a guy with a passion for palms and he is nice enough to share that with all of us. He is not a business. I don’t know him personally but you’ll find a lot of chatter about him in this site. And his palms are always beautiful. I’ve heard he goes through extreme measures to ensure quality and reliability in his work. Hybridizing isn’t foolproof so there are a few “unsuccessful” attempts that people will have a palm turn into just the pure mother plant. And don’t quote me but I believe he’s even gone as far as replacing those duds for people. He will go by Patrick, Patric, Patrix sometimes. He corresponds through email, payment with PayPal, and ships USPS. 

Edited by NWpalms@206

5 hours ago, NWpalms@206 said:

Patrick is a palm grower in philo, California who specializes in hybridizing. As far as I know he is just a guy with a passion for palms and he is nice enough to share that with all of us. He is not a business. I don’t know him personally but you’ll find a lot of chatter about him in this site. And his palms are always beautiful. I’ve heard he goes through extreme measures to ensure quality and reliability in his work. Hybridizing isn’t foolproof so there are a few “unsuccessful” attempts that people will have a palm turn into just the pure mother plant. And don’t quote me but I believe he’s even gone as far as replacing those duds for people. He will go by Patrick, Patric, Patrix sometimes. He corresponds through email, payment with PayPal, and ships USPS. 

Nice information!  Thanks for your help!  I've reached out to him via email.  

1 hour ago, MarkbVet said:

Nice information!  Thanks for your help!  I've reached out to him via email.  

Also I do Highly recommend Moultrie Palms, like I said I have 2 of their Super Mules and they’re just going pinnate and look really good, long flat deep green fronds. Seems it’s gonna look just like advertised tall and weeping but not droopy. Very tropical and should be pretty hardy (JxB)xB)xQ.  Elaine was so nice and they’re the best deal out there at $40’a palm for decent sized ready to plant tree. I don’t think they’re shipping at the moment but likely next month again. I’d get in on that sooner than later they’ll sell out quickly. 

14B3BF5D-E678-487B-A38C-5F0AAC75E844.png

27 minutes ago, NWpalms@206 said:

Also I do Highly recommend Moultrie Palms, like I said I have 2 of their Super Mules and they’re just going pinnate and look really good, long flat deep green fronds. Seems it’s gonna look just like advertised tall and weeping but not droopy. Very tropical and should be pretty hardy (JxB)xB)xQ.  Elaine was so nice and they’re the best deal out there at $40’a palm for decent sized ready to plant tree. I don’t think they’re shipping at the moment but likely next month again. I’d get in on that sooner than later they’ll sell out quickly. 

14B3BF5D-E678-487B-A38C-5F0AAC75E844.png

any thoughts on the 'supermule' from wanderlust?  It's (BxJ)xQ,  2 gallon size, $100.  Not sure if this would increase the Jubaea genes/appearance, or affect hardiness?  Any experience with this particular hybrid?  I believe the plants from Moutrie are one gallon, but great price.  Likely will go with them.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, NWpalms@206 said:

Good to know thanks! My wife and are are road trippers so a drive to Oregon is no prob. Especially for some palms! This spring I’m gonna finish the list off, hopefully the top 2 will be tough. 

Cerifera is plentiful at OregonPalms along with Jubaea.  You could visit OregonPalms and Raintree the same day== both off I-5 between Portland and Salem.  :-)

Edited by MarkbVet
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Jesse PNW said:

If you haven't been to Raintree in Silverton, you should definitely go.  Big inventory, some hard-to-find stuff, and the prices are reasonable to say the least.  I think his name is Steve?  was a good guy to talk to as well.  And you have to go in their climate controlled greenhouse.  I could live in that greenhouse.  Also probably the biggest Sabal palmettos in the PNW.  

Yes, Steve.   With the grey beard as I recall.  Nice guy.   Nice variety of plants!

1) Jubaea x Queen ---?

Vulcano is available at DesertScape nursery in bend, oregon...they sell online via Etsy or Facebook i think

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, MarkbVet said:

any thoughts on the 'supermule' from wanderlust?  It's (BxJ)xQ,  2 gallon size, $100.  Not sure if this would increase the Jubaea genes/appearance, or affect hardiness?  Any experience with this particular hybrid?  I believe the plants from Moutrie are one gallon, but great price.  Likely will go with them.

If I’m not mistaken, and Matt H the owner may correct me, but I believe that one he has is from Richard Lindberg, and it is not the extra butia cross, before queen. But I may be wrong he may have said that it’s the Same Moultrie cross (JxB)xB)xQ. I’m sure he’d be happy to clarify. Either way would be a good one. I have Patrick’s (BxJ)xQ and I believe the wanderlust/Lindberg/moutlrie 3way cross all share the same Merrill Wilcox Jubutia F3 mother. 

Matt did mention that 'their palm grower took a 1 year holiday in 2020, so we may not have 2 gallon specimens again until next year, maybe some smaller plants this spring".  can ask him re:  the exact hybrid.   Thx!

1 hour ago, MarkbVet said:

The 3 way mules seem to all have a more butia/ syagrus appearance, I think the jubaea definitely adds to the hardiness but I don’t see a whole lot of jubaea traits in those in my opinion. But I’ve never seen any significant sized ones in person hard to judge by photos sometimes. I think if you want the jubaea look without waiting 20yrs for size the jubaea x butia and butia x jubaea are probably the best choice. 

Edited by NWpalms@206
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, NWpalms@206 said:

The 3 way mules seem to all have a more butia/ syagrus appearance, I think the jubaea definitely adds to the hardiness but I don’t see a whole lot of jubaea traits in those in my opinion. But I’ve never seen any significant sized ones in person hard to judge by photos sometimes. I think if you want the jubaea look without waiting 20yrs for size the jubaea x butia and butia x jubaea are probably the best choice. 

I did a check mission today on some of the trees the Butia x Jubaea x Queens looked ok, Jubaea x Butia yatay- Patrick Schafers looked fine, Jubaea x Butia  looked ok, Jubutia x Queen looked ok. Jubaea x Queen looked ok., Jubaea looked fine.but I hate to say my parajubea x Butia/Jubaea ( last pic ) maybe toast.:rant: won't know the final outcome till things start to grow, in the spring Mukilteo wa Z8B 

20220101_152450.jpg

20220101_152644.jpg

20220101_154242.jpg

20220101_154426.jpg

20220101_154937.jpg

20220101_155325.jpg

20220101_155712.jpg

20220101_153604.jpg

• Like 3

To bad about the parajubaea cross.  All my palms look good, some of the colorful cordylines here are looking really ratty and maybe spear pull or die back.  Livistona chinensis looks great. Aloes are still cover up with snow, so tomorrow I will see how they look. The ones in dry spaces are still frozen so maybe in a week I will know for sure. 

Glad your other mule palms look great.  Nice to see the pics. 

• Like 1

My mule palm tonight ...7 ft of trunk bought it as a 10 or 15 gallon from Raintree nursery. Silverton Or....nice place.

0101221701_HDR.jpg

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Hutch said:

My mule palm tonight ...7 ft of trunk bought it as a 10 or 15 gallon from Raintree nursery. Silverton Or....nice place.

0101221701_HDR.jpg

I never get tired looking at that mule palm.  I think mine did ok too.  

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Paradise Found said:

To bad about the parajubaea cross.  All my palms look good, some of the colorful cordylines here are looking really ratty and maybe spear pull or die back.  Livistona chinensis looks great. Aloes are still cover up with snow, so tomorrow I will see how they look. The ones in dry spaces are still frozen so maybe in a week I will know for sure. 

Glad your other mule palms look great.  Nice to see the pics. 

not gonna give up on the parajubaea cross. just yet,gonna wait for the warm up.hopefully worst case scenario will be a spear pull. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Love them palms said:

not gonna give up on the parajubaea cross. just yet,gonna wait for the warm up.hopefully worst case scenario will be a spear pull. 

I hope it makes it!  I just don't think they will be hardy for me.  So I will let y'all have the pleasure of growing them and see what happens. I wish you the best. 

• Like 1