IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My old house in Fernandina Beach

NickJames

Here’s shots last night of my old house outside Fernandina Beach. It’s not actually on Amelia Island, but benefits from intracoastal proximity. 

these were all planted in 2018. 

Points of note:

The Washingtonia continued to grow at an explosive rate. They still look wonderfully full. I’m glad the current owner doesn’t butcher them. They were always so thick trunked and kept so many green fronds. Does this mean they’re not full robusta? They get a lot of water. 

The phoenix Sylvestris was near death when I lived there despite how much I cared for it. Showed symptoms of lethal bronzing. Look at it now!!

A8FF7FCC-EEDB-4CCC-A23A-579CFFAD9831.jpeg

64F212DC-2CF0-4120-9A1C-973482D9F392.jpeg

A70256AD-920E-45A6-8494-62C20485360E.jpeg

EF73B841-1087-4339-B1C8-9F8E11A0DD24.jpeg

• Like 8

Nick, do you believe there is a big difference between the extreme low temperatures in Fernandina and where you live know? I'm sort of in the middle here in St. Augustine Beach and my neighborhood looks like 9B with all the mature hibiscus, crotons, avocados, Dypsis lutescens, and even a handful flowering spindle palms. I'm zone pushing alot of crown shafted palms with my fingers-crossed.

Cheers

Edited by Kekoanui
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Kekoanui said:

I'm zone pushing alot of crown shafted palms with my fingers-crossed.

Cheers

I'm seriously zone pushing here in Jax on Pottsburg Creek.  Have a few royals, foxtails, Archontophoenix and what is supposed to be a Dypsis hybrid (though most likely a pure triangle) growing.  I'm adding a few more questionable Dypsis and Syagrus to the mix in the spring as well.

Oh yeah, forgot about the Adonidia merillii in the pot now for 15+ years and the newly added potted Satakentia liukiuensis.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Scott W said:

I'm seriously zone pushing here in Jax on Pottsburg Creek.  Have a few royals, foxtails, Archontophoenix and what is supposed to be a Dypsis hybrid (though most likely a pure triangle) growing.  I'm adding a few more questionable Dypsis and Syagrus to the mix in the spring as well.

Oh yeah, forgot about the Adonidia merillii in the pot now for 15+ years and the newly added potted Satakentia liukiuensis.

Holy cow @Scott W, you are really pushing it! Hope they all do well as I have considered an Archontophoenix. 

@NickJames if I recall your old place is just over in Yulee and can’t recall whether it was you or someone else that posted a pic of a Majesty palm growing at a house there. That post made me get one so we’ll see if I can get lucky.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KDubU said:

Holy cow @Scott W, you are really pushing it! Hope they all do well as I have considered an Archontophoenix. 

Yeah, these were all freebies more or less, so figured why not.  Royal #1 has been in ground for 3 years now, Triangle for 2.  Royal #2, foxtail, and Archontophoenix are all new additions this year.  Trying some strategic placement under shelter of oaks, towards the water, etc to see how long they make it.  Satakentia is said to be good to 25f, but I'm going to let it get some size first in a pot before finding a spot in the ground once it's too big to handle....