IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What is your ocean temperature?

bubba

Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica

Pacific Coast

30.1C (86.2F)

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

Quite a difference in ocean temps off the coast of southern California ranging from 58F\ 14.4C to 68F\ 20C.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

24C/75F-26C/79F. Can't wait for a cold front to cross that water. It could get interesting. I don't think we're going to get winter this year.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Honokohou Harbor, west coast of the Big Island of Hawaii, 81'f

Donald Sanders

24C 75F. It should start dropping soon.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Hardly any difference from winter to spring along the California coast:

Santa Monica Bay: 63F\ 17.2C

San Diego Bay: 64F\ 17.7C

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Same here in Texas...

Galveston: 79F

South Padre Island: 79F

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

Sebastian Inlet reported 77 degrees yesterday, but there was a long spell mostly in the high 60s due to wind-caused upwelling.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

• 2 weeks later...

Galveston, Texas: 75F

South Padre Island, Texas: 80F

We just had our last (probably) cold front come in a few days ago :yay:.

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

• 2 weeks later...

Santa Monica Bay: 64F\ 17.7C

San Diego Bay: 67F\ 19.4C

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ocean water temp finally hit 70F\ 21.1C in places along the southern California coast.

Santa Monica bay: 68F\ 20C

San Diego bay: 70F

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

22,23C here off the coast. Quite high for mid winter. The last cold front which came across on Friday night dropped much more than expected with 57mm of rain in 6 hrs approx. 36mm fell in 30 minutes. Another bigger one coming through tonight and tomorrow. Got friends flying in from Sydney right in the middle of it. They'll feel landing at Perth at it's bumpiest worst. I'm hoping for another 60mm of rain as it's a slow moving powerful front, and it's moving over some quite warm ocean to get here.

22,23C here off the coast. Quite high for mid winter. The last cold front which came across on Friday night dropped much more than expected with 57mm of rain in 6 hrs approx. 36mm fell in 30 minutes. Another bigger one coming through tonight and tomorrow. Got friends flying in from Sydney right in the middle of it. They'll feel landing at Perth at it's bumpiest worst. I'm hoping for another 60mm of rain as it's a slow moving powerful front, and it's moving over some quite warm ocean to get here.

Hi Tyrone,

That's the difference between Western Australia and the American West Coast. Ocean water temps only just about reach those levels in southern California during summer and never in winter. Maybe 75F\ 23.8C for a while during July\ August.

Are you experiencing above normal rainfall this winter? How have temps been? Hopefully no frost.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Hi Tyrone,

That's the difference between Western Australia and the American West Coast. Ocean water temps only just about reach those levels in southern California during summer and never in winter. Maybe 75F\ 23.8C for a while during July\ August.

Are you experiencing above normal rainfall this winter? How have temps been? Hopefully no frost.

Winter's just getting started. Expecting around 50-70mm by the end of June which will take the total to 178-198mm of rain which is above average. July looks like being wet too. We got to 24.3C today which is way above average. So far June has been a warm one. My Heliconias still have flowers and so does my frangipani. Coldest so far has been around 3.5C but we're averaging about 10Cmin −19.5C max which is above average.

The cold front approaching appears to be a powerful system so I'll let you know how it turns out. This week is going to be messy and wild with thunderstorms on two of the days and wild winds. Would love 100mm of rain before the month is out.

Best regards

Tyrone

• 3 weeks later...

21C SST's now. Still warmer than average.

Too cold here to swim for us Queenslanders but the Victorians, South Australians and New South Welshmen are in the water.....brrrrrr

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

I remember years ago visiting my relatives in Victoria. We took a day trip down to Gippsland. It was around early January and it was 22C max the wind was freezing and we went down to the beach. All the local Victorians were straight into the water. Not us from WA. I went rugged up with a jumper and jeans. Here we won't go into the water unless it's 30C plus. At the time it was 40C in Perth. It's amazing what you get used too.

Best regards

Tyrone

• 2 weeks later...

20C SST now.

Gulf of Mexico off Tampa Bay is now 91F with the Bay also at 91F. Anclote Key, off my county, is 92F. This is according to the water temps stated on the news. I have only seen 90's a few times. Few thunderstorms in the water means no mixing up of the water from the cooler depths. That may change this weekend as the pattern goes west. :drool:

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

• 2 weeks later...

19C off the coast now.

Gulf of Mexico off Tampa Bay is now 91F with the Bay also at 91F. Anclote Key, off my county, is 92F. This is according to the water temps stated on the news. I have only seen 90's a few times. Few thunderstorms in the water means no mixing up of the water from the cooler depths. That may change this weekend as the pattern goes west. :drool:

Those are mighty hot ocean temps but so far this summer the hurricanes are missing in action! Let's hope it stays this way for Florida and Texas.

Santa Monica bay: 70F\ 21.1C

San Diego bay: 69F\ 20.5C

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Galveston, Texas: 85*F

Port Aransas, Texas: 86*F

South Padre Island, Texas: 83*F

Bay temperatures are in the mid 90s!!!

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

68F off the coast, that's warmer than I thought it got here. :lol: It gets cooler as you go up the coast.

Lots of warm pocket in Puget Sound, thats why we have many grey whales that visit us in summer.

Edited by Palm crazy

• 1 month later...

Ocean temperatures for east Pacific ocean in the last days.

For southern California and Baja California 2-3C/3-5 F more colder than normal.

La Niña does not go away for this summer, also the low pressure persistant on the east Pacific ocean, this to make the winds bring the more colder water from deep to the surface. The high pressure here in this area always in the summer is not here in this year but more east in southern USA and northern México.

It is to be interesting in this winter to see how it is, with La Niña in most years it is more dryer and more warmer or can also be more cooler. In this last winter also when we have La Niña it is very strange, with much rain and cold in december.

post-285-047573300 1316580966_thumb.gif

post-285-002599500 1316580985_thumb.gif

Edited by Cristóbal

TEMP. JAN. 21/10 C (69/50 F), AUG. 29/20 C (84/68 F). COASTAL DESERT, MOST DAYS MILD OR WARM, SUNNY AND DRY. YEARLY PRECIPITATION: 210 MM (8.2 INCHES). ZONE 11 NO FREEZES CLOSE TO THE OCEAN.

5845d02ceb988_3-copia.jpg.447ccc2a7cc4c6

• 2 weeks later...

Warmest water of the year around here: 60.3F just inside the Golden Gate on San Francisco Bay; 69.4F on SF Bay at Redwood City (Silicon Valley).

Jason Dewees

Inner Sunset District

San Francisco, California

Sunset zone 17

USDA zone 10a

21 inches / 530mm annual rainfall, mostly October to April

Humidity averages 60 to 85 percent year-round.

Summer: 67F/55F | 19C/12C

Winter: 56F/44F | 13C/6C

40-year extremes: 96F/26F | 35.5C/-3.8C

• 2 weeks later...

Santa Monica bay: 68F

San Diego bay: 68F

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

About the same here.

About the same here.

Hi Tyrone, I figure ocean temps near Perth are about normal for this time of the year considering your latitude. But in mid Spring the ocean temps off southern California wouldn't be much above 60F\ 15.5C. Water temps stayed cool again this summer due to residual effects of La Nina; hardly any station reported above 70F\ 21.1C. Chilly for the surfers! :lol:

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

• 1 month later...

Santa Monica bay: 62F\ 16.6C

San Diego bay: 63F\ 17.2C

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

San Francisco: 54.1F just inside the Golden Gate; 52.9F at Southeast Farallon Island, 25 miles off the coast; 56.7F at Redwood City, on the SF Bay, 30 miles distant from the Golden Gate.

Jason Dewees

Inner Sunset District

Sunset zone 17

USDA zone 10a

• 2 weeks later...

JasonD, I suppose you weren't among the participants in November's bodysurfing event. Here in central Florida, the water at Sebastian Inlet is about 72. The Inlet area is warm enough to have a really big gumbo limbo tree (the same shiny-barked, living-fencepost tree you'd see in Costa Rica or Panamá). There's only two native palm species: saw palmetto and cabbage palm (Sabal palmetto). I did get to see some nice Coccothrinax argentata at a nursery in Palm Beach County today. They're wild plants, rescued and waiting for new homes. In the wild, they grow slowly...

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

• 2 weeks later...

JasonD, I suppose you weren't among the participants in November's bodysurfing event. Here in central Florida, the water at Sebastian Inlet is about 72. The Inlet area is warm enough to have a really big gumbo limbo tree (the same shiny-barked, living-fencepost tree you'd see in Costa Rica or Panamá). There's only two native palm species: saw palmetto and cabbage palm (Sabal palmetto). I did get to see some nice Coccothrinax argentata at a nursery in Palm Beach County today. They're wild plants, rescued and waiting for new homes. In the wild, they grow slowly...

Haven't body-surfed north of San Diego since 1977 or so...

Glad to hear Coccothrinax argentata is being "repurposed" after rescue. Scott Zona's experiment growing seedlings of different geographic origins was fascinating.

The C. argentata on Bahia Honda Key are among my favorite wild palms!

Jason Dewees

Inner Sunset District

Sunset zone 17

USDA zone 10a