Sign in to follow this  
WaianaeCrider

Living with dry stream bed slopes

WaianaeCrider

Over the past 30 years of so I've been terracing my stream slopes.  There is probably a 15-20 foot drop from the level lands on both sides of my "stream" depending on where you are on it's  600 + foot long run through my long narrow 2 acres.

The easy lower slopes were done years ago when I could drive my old truck down and along it to haul in rocks from anyplace I could find them.  I'd be driving along the road and I spotted a rock on the side I'd pull over and pick it up.  Sometimes after big rains and slides I could get a truck load.  What's left now is the last 5 or 6 feet on one side and it's the steepest and hardest to terrace.  There are dozens of scrub haole koa trees that in the winter are in full leaf but in the dry summer lose just about all the leaves.  I'm in the process of trying to create little terraces to plant a tree that will someday shade the lower slopes after I cut down the scrubs.  Worked on the little spot today to plant an avocado from a fruit I picked up in the mountains back in October.  Yea I know it may produce junk fruit but all I want is shade.  In two months it went from a seed to about 2' tall.  I have two others in other locations that were planted a year ago and they are both about 4 feet tall.  Wish me luck that I don't wipe out my "old" body scrubbing around for rocks and moving them.  A lot can be done if you are careful rocks just a bit larger than say two fists.  The biggest rock in the picture was already there and so I worked with it to form the little terrace.

20211225_111426.jpg

20211225_140908.jpg

20211225_143631.jpg

• Like 9

iDesign

Looking good! I especially like how the terracing and pathways look in that last photo. Paradise in the making :shaka-2:

WaianaeCrider

Pan-20200522_143732.thumb.jpg.4320c1a029423ea9126332470ba45662.jpgPan-20200522_143732.thumb.jpg.4320c1a029423ea9126332470ba45662.jpg

4 hours ago, idesign123 said:

Looking good! I especially like how the terracing and pathways look in that last photo. Paradise in the making :shaka-2:

I've tried to alternate with a planting terrace and a path terrace

Pan-20200522_143732.thumb.jpg.4320c1a029423ea9126332470ba45662.jpg

This shows progress back in 2005

BackTerrace-03pan1July05-2.JPG

BackTerrace-07pan11July05-3.JPG

BackTerrace-10pan9Aug05-2.JPG

• Like 2

iDesign

Yep, this space is going to look amazing. I love the main view where you can take it all in... then the pathways will be fun to explore. Also a reminder that creating a Hawaiian paradise isn’t as simple as it seems from a distance. Keep us updated - your yard progression pics are fun to see.

• Like 2

Kailua_Krish

What about Koai’a? They would let filtered sun in and they seem to hold soil pretty well. Just a thought

WaianaeCrider
3 hours ago, Kailua_Krish said:

What about Koai’a? They would let filtered sun in and they seem to hold soil pretty well. Just a thought

Would love some.  Do you know who sells them on Oahu?  Last time i tried the native nursery in Ha`iku they didn't have any.

Kailua_Krish
2 hours ago, WaianaeCrider said:

Would love some.  Do you know who sells them on Oahu?  Last time i tried the native nursery in Ha`iku they didn't have any.

Oh thats who I would have said. I know they have had them in the past as I bought one when I lived in Manoa.

• Like 1

WaianaeCrider
1 hour ago, Kailua_Krish said:

Oh thats who I would have said. I know they have had them in the past as I bought one when I lived in Manoa.

I"ll probably try again soon, but I don't think they get tall enough to offer m uch shade.  Merry Xmas and have a Happy New Year.  Maybe 2022 will bring us together to look at our palms.

• Like 1