IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Living with dry stream bed slopes

WaianaeCrider

Over the past 30 years of so I've been terracing my stream slopes.  There is probably a 15-20 foot drop from the level lands on both sides of my "stream" depending on where you are on it's  600 + foot long run through my long narrow 2 acres.

The easy lower slopes were done years ago when I could drive my old truck down and along it to haul in rocks from anyplace I could find them.  I'd be driving along the road and I spotted a rock on the side I'd pull over and pick it up.  Sometimes after big rains and slides I could get a truck load.  What's left now is the last 5 or 6 feet on one side and it's the steepest and hardest to terrace.  There are dozens of scrub haole koa trees that in the winter are in full leaf but in the dry summer lose just about all the leaves.  I'm in the process of trying to create little terraces to plant a tree that will someday shade the lower slopes after I cut down the scrubs.  Worked on the little spot today to plant an avocado from a fruit I picked up in the mountains back in October.  Yea I know it may produce junk fruit but all I want is shade.  In two months it went from a seed to about 2' tall.  I have two others in other locations that were planted a year ago and they are both about 4 feet tall.  Wish me luck that I don't wipe out my "old" body scrubbing around for rocks and moving them.  A lot can be done if you are careful rocks just a bit larger than say two fists.  The biggest rock in the picture was already there and so I worked with it to form the little terrace.

20211225_111426.jpg

20211225_140908.jpg

20211225_143631.jpg

• Like 9

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

I can't be held responsible for anything I say or do....LOL

Looking good! I especially like how the terracing and pathways look in that last photo. Paradise in the making :shaka-2:

Stacey Wright  |  Graphic Designer

Pan-20200522_143732.thumb.jpg.4320c1a029423ea9126332470ba45662.jpgPan-20200522_143732.thumb.jpg.4320c1a029423ea9126332470ba45662.jpg

4 hours ago, idesign123 said:

Looking good! I especially like how the terracing and pathways look in that last photo. Paradise in the making :shaka-2:

I've tried to alternate with a planting terrace and a path terrace

Pan-20200522_143732.thumb.jpg.4320c1a029423ea9126332470ba45662.jpg

This shows progress back in 2005

BackTerrace-03pan1July05-2.JPG

BackTerrace-07pan11July05-3.JPG

BackTerrace-10pan9Aug05-2.JPG

• Like 2

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

Yep, this space is going to look amazing. I love the main view where you can take it all in... then the pathways will be fun to explore. Also a reminder that creating a Hawaiian paradise isn’t as simple as it seems from a distance. Keep us updated - your yard progression pics are fun to see.

• Like 2

Stacey Wright  |  Graphic Designer

What about Koai’a? They would let filtered sun in and they seem to hold soil pretty well. Just a thought

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

3 hours ago, Kailua_Krish said:

What about Koai’a? They would let filtered sun in and they seem to hold soil pretty well. Just a thought

Would love some.  Do you know who sells them on Oahu?  Last time i tried the native nursery in Ha`iku they didn't have any.

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

2 hours ago, WaianaeCrider said:

Would love some.  Do you know who sells them on Oahu?  Last time i tried the native nursery in Ha`iku they didn't have any.

Oh thats who I would have said. I know they have had them in the past as I bought one when I lived in Manoa.

• Like 1

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

1 hour ago, Kailua_Krish said:

Oh thats who I would have said. I know they have had them in the past as I bought one when I lived in Manoa.

I"ll probably try again soon, but I don't think they get tall enough to offer m uch shade.  Merry Xmas and have a Happy New Year.  Maybe 2022 will bring us together to look at our palms.

• Like 1

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae