IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Phoenix sylvestris Deficiency?

ahosey01

What’s this spotting from?  It’s planted in terrible soil but gets plenty of water.

65F9CE85-B46F-4F23-81F7-6F39F1D47127.thumb.jpeg.d50eb6d5a2f20d402e034ebd95c5f233.jpeg

564C3AC7-2F78-4CAC-9DBD-FE34098CBCD7.thumb.jpeg.90d9925a3ccae8d8c9f0bea281a15a33.jpeg

None of my other Phoenix have this same issue.  I have an acaulis nearby in the same soil with no problems.

10 hours ago, ahosey01 said:

What’s this spotting from?

I'd guess potassium deficiency, I think that's the normal cause of spotting like that.  Here's my cheat sheet on deficiencies:

• Nitrogen: Older fronds turn light green uniformly, new fronds remain dark green until deficiency is really severe
  • Potassium: Older fronds get translucent yellow/orange or dead spots on leaves, especially at the tips. Sometimes tips are curled or frizzled. Always starts at tips of oldest leaves, moving inwards
  • Magnesium: Yellow linear bands on leaves but generally transitions to solid green at the base of each leaf. Never causes leaf tip necrosis
  • Iron: Many times caused by overly mucky soil and root rot. Starts with new spear leaves with yellow-green or even white, possibly with spots of green.
  • Manganese: Lengthwise necrotic streaks in leaves with dead and curled leaf tips. Similar to bands showing Magnesium deficiency
  • Boron: Bent or necrotic or distorted leaf tips, distorted or bent spear, bands of dead spots on new fans, spears that won't fully open
  • Water: Underwatering brown at the edges first, later followed by yellowing of the whole leaf. Overwatering can be drooping fronds turning yellowish and losing color

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Nice clear descriptions! Copying into my deficiency notes (along with some leaf example photos from another post).

Stacey Wright  |  Graphic Designer

5 hours ago, ahosey01 said:

Sounds reasonable.

@sonoranfans is there any merit to applying a fertilizer to fix the deficiency now, or just wait til spring?

I would add a little now and an also in spring.  I know you can have warm days there even in winter.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

• 1 month later...
On 12/26/2021 at 1:33 PM, sonoranfans said:

I would add a little now and an also in spring.  I know you can have warm days there even in winter.

After fertilizing with some MiracleGro Plant Food, it now looks worse.  I followed all the instructions and only applied about half the amount it suggested for a single plant.

New look:

41C31DCC-30CD-4737-A0A2-0758595BE26E.thumb.jpeg.34d9f3e5ed78232a8a83998879036f90.jpeg

What am I missing?

That’s a tough one, and it looks much worse now.  The first photo doesn’t fit Potassium deficiency perfectly, as the new leaves seem effected, and the old leaves seem not too bad.  K should really toast the old leaves before it hits the new growth, and you should see a lot of leaf tip necrosis and orange-yellowing, I would think, in the old stuff before the new growth is hit.  

I assume you hit it with Miracle Gro Palm specific fertilizer, and not just the high N-K stuff.  You can use the high nitrogen stuff during prime growth conditions like a steroid shot, but it can throw everything else out of whack quickly.    

I don’t think the palm in the 1st post fits anything perfectly, but I’d guess Mn?   K and Mg deficiency manifest almost textbook-like in date palms, and often concomitantly.    
https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/publication/EP269

I’d also venture that the follow up post looks so bad that perhaps it isn’t nutritional at all.  Perhaps something in the soil, like a herbicide, salt, other chemical, or very severe pH problem.

I’ve got a single Coccothrinax miriguama that has had problems with necrotic streaking not fitting classic nutritional deficiency patterns.   Crushed shell mulching and Mn application, seems to have helped somewhat, but I haven’t exactly pinpointed the issue yet.  
10A39C50-F191-4D58-B273-94263421CE5B.thumb.jpeg.442b460872cf6e739b2279b181ff14e6.jpegB172F284-16E4-4151-8BE7-882DB602B459.thumb.jpeg.cd2ab91a681b4ecfa0afb808f7870201.jpeg

If you figure it out, post the solution.  

Perhaps a soil test for that spot is in order, to rule out the straightforward stuff?  

Here’s my favorite common nutritional deficiency guide….

https://www.palmbeachpalmcycadsociety.com/documents/PalmNutritionalDeficiencyCorrectionAndAntagonisticNutritionalRelationships.pdf

13 hours ago, ahosey01 said:

After fertilizing with some MiracleGro Plant Food, it now looks worse.  I followed all the instructions and only applied about half the amount it suggested for a single plant.

New look:

41C31DCC-30CD-4737-A0A2-0758595BE26E.thumb.jpeg.34d9f3e5ed78232a8a83998879036f90.jpeg

What am I missing?

wow that was way too fast to be lack of water, its a goner.  I would dig it out and check the roots for white mold.  In my time in arizona I watered every 2-3 weeks in winter in ammended clay soil.  (If the temps dont rise to 70, 3 weeks)

• Like 1

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

I'd agree with Tom, that decline is way too fast to be anything like a basic nutritional deficiency or lack of water.  Something else is going on, like root rot, TPPD/LB, or maybe some other fungal thing is going on.  If it were just a simple potassium or Mn/Mg deficiency it would just keep on looking somewhat unhappy until the next fronds grow out clean.