IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Is it possible to identify which Licuala these are?

miamicuse

I have a number of Licuala sp. seedlings but no idea specifically what they are.

Is it possible at this stage to tell what these might be?

IMG_20211225_162202.jpg.8102e7e01da607985129ce14a2b9540d.jpg

IMG_20211225_162228.jpg.4141fde69afe142af83a2c7ae5fc1bde.jpg

Any list of possibilities?

If they all have split leaves and are common species, maybe L. spinosa or L. lauterbachii? Grow them to a 3-gallon size and they will be a lot more identifiable.

Ryan

South Florida

You can look at the leaf shape, but the trouble is that mostare species of indoor palms have pinnate leaves . The place to look to identify indoor palms is the the base where stems emerge from the soil, the size and coloration of trunk or main stems, the areas where leaf sheaths are attached to stem, and the shape, color, and size of the leaflets.

On 12/25/2021 at 8:02 PM, miamicuse said:

I have a number of Licuala sp. seedlings but no idea specifically what they are.

Is it possible at this stage to tell what these might be?

Yeah, most of them look similar when they are small.  Clearly you could rule out Peltata v. Sumawongii since they are pinnate.  I have seedlings of Aurantiaca (Paludosa), Fordiana, Peltata v. Peltata, Peltata v. Sumawongii, Ramsayi v. Tuckeri, and Spinosa.  Most of mine are smaller than yours, bought from Floribunda, NatureGirl or PalmatierMeg.  Based on the end of the leaves I'd rule out Peltata (very square tips), but Ramsayi, Spinosa, Fordiana and Aurantiaca are possibilities.

• 4 months later...

So I have close to 60 of these seedlings.  Most of them in repurposed water bottles.

How big do they need to be before I move them to a real pot?   I still have no idea what kind of Licuala these are.

IMG_20220504_174351.thumb.jpg.b74b75b67cc4012f3378f5851b2cb304.jpg

• Like 1

ID might take awhile, you have to narrow the possibilities of where the seed came from. When you see roots coming out of the bottom of those containers, then it’s time to move them to a larger pot. At this stage, they grow relatively fast. They look great. 

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

14 hours ago, realarch said:

ID might take awhile, you have to narrow the possibilities of where the seed came from.

I don't have any idea of where the seeds came from.  I bought all of the seedlings in a single pot from a local nursery who closed it's business, and the tag says "Luicala Sp." and the people there didn't have any specifics beyond the tag.  I then took it home and emptied the pot and individually planted about 60 of these.  So I have absolutely no idea what these are.

• 1 year later...

Fast forward 21 months since last post.  This is not a fast growing palm.  I planted four into the ground in the summer of 2022, one in filtered light, one in part sun, one in full morning sun, and one in shade.  The full morning sun wilted, the other three did not grow any faster than then ones in pots.

Here are some new pictures, I wonder if they exhibit anything to narrow down what it may be?

It looks solitary,

IMG_20240211_151049.jpg.a012fda879f125b74bdac4de52d10e44.jpg

IMG_20240211_151043.jpg.78e20e651baf47916cb6882152aecead.jpg

IMG_20240211_153652.jpg.96ae41739278739132857726a1aa8d43.jpg

I still don't see anything detail wise that narrows it down to a species, just more possibilities. When you got them, did you get the feeling they were something unusual or that the place dealt with exotic material? If all 60 plants are the same and they were not expensive (as in trying to recoup money from expensive seed or seedlings); chances are they will be more common... or they either didn't know or bothered to price them accordingly.

You are right they are most likely solitary. Thin fiber on the leaf bases and small spines on the petioles might suggest a smaller species. If it remains small with no urgency to grow a stem it could be one of the shorter, stout members, like L. kunstleri. Since you mentioned the tag said "Licuala sp." I wonder if it is a known 'sp.' and the tag wasn't completely written out or it got cut off? One short, stemless 'sp.' that comes to mind is Licuala sp. 'Yal Braal' which was later renamed as Lanonia acaulis. They have been known to mature and flower as a large 3-gallon, or regular 7-gallon sized plant. Then again, just another possibility. 

The more I stare at the photos, a couple things begin to stand out. First. the angle of attachment of the leaf segments. In the first and second photos above, the segments come off the attachment at an outward, forward angle instead of a circular or orbicular arrangement. This could just be a juvenile feature. It kind of gives a blunt-edge to the leaf instead of a rounded one. Another feature that might aid in identification is the inner most, center two, apical segments. I cannot tell for sure, but they look like they are conjoined at the base (first photo). If they are conjoined, then it would be one large center, apical segment that is bifurcated instead of two segments. Again, this could just be a juvenile habit, but if it remains as is, it could be identification material as they grow.

They are healthy and happy palms, so keep growing them the way you have been. I know it is annoying not knowing what they are, but it is part of the mystery of buying 'spuh's'. Name them something fun if you need to, like for a sale or auction, such as Licuala sp. 'Mystery #1'. 

Ryan

• Like 1

South Florida

It's interesting how much they've changed since the first photos!  Initially they were very rounded, but the new leaves look very blunt-tipped.  I thought it couldn't be Peltata v. Peltata, but the newest leaf looks like any of the deeply split types.  I'd guess it isn't Auriculata/Paludosa, just because the stems aren't super-stabby.  But that could just be the photos or the still young-ish age of the plants.

18 hours ago, Palmarum said:

I still don't see anything detail wise that narrows it down to a species, just more possibilities. When you got them, did you get the feeling they were something unusual or that the place dealt with exotic material? If all 60 plants are the same and they were not expensive (as in trying to recoup money from expensive seed or seedlings); chances are they will be more common... or they either didn't know or bothered to price them accordingly.

You are right they are most likely solitary. Thin fiber on the leaf bases and small spines on the petioles might suggest a smaller species. If it remains small with no urgency to grow a stem it could be one of the shorter, stout members, like L. kunstleri. Since you mentioned the tag said "Licuala sp." I wonder if it is a known 'sp.' and the tag wasn't completely written out or it got cut off? One short, stemless 'sp.' that comes to mind is Licuala sp. 'Yal Braal' which was later renamed as Lanonia acaulis. They have been known to mature and flower as a large 3-gallon, or regular 7-gallon sized plant. Then again, just another possibility. 

The more I stare at the photos, a couple things begin to stand out. First. the angle of attachment of the leaf segments. In the first and second photos above, the segments come off the attachment at an outward, forward angle instead of a circular or orbicular arrangement. This could just be a juvenile feature. It kind of gives a blunt-edge to the leaf instead of a rounded one. Another feature that might aid in identification is the inner most, center two, apical segments. I cannot tell for sure, but they look like they are conjoined at the base (first photo). If they are conjoined, then it would be one large center, apical segment that is bifurcated instead of two segments. Again, this could just be a juvenile habit, but if it remains as is, it could be identification material as they grow.

They are healthy and happy palms, so keep growing them the way you have been. I know it is annoying not knowing what they are, but it is part of the mystery of buying 'spuh's'. Name them something fun if you need to, like for a sale or auction, such as Licuala sp. 'Mystery #1'. 

Ryan

I will keep a close eye as they grow as far as the leaf shape and arrangement.  It could be like you said being a juvenile feature.

So far what seems to be the case:

As the plant grows the individual leaves seem to form more a blunt edge instead of a pointed edge when it was a very small seedling.

It seems to be solitary.

One specimen got burnt in full sun, well I could have guessed that without trying it.