Sign in to follow this  
miamicuse

Is it possible to identify which Licuala these are?

miamicuse

I have a number of Licuala sp. seedlings but no idea specifically what they are.

Is it possible at this stage to tell what these might be?

IMG_20211225_162202.jpg.8102e7e01da607985129ce14a2b9540d.jpg

IMG_20211225_162228.jpg.4141fde69afe142af83a2c7ae5fc1bde.jpg

Palmarum

Any list of possibilities?

If they all have split leaves and are common species, maybe L. spinosa or L. lauterbachii? Grow them to a 3-gallon size and they will be a lot more identifiable.

Ryan

graham spell

You can look at the leaf shape, but the trouble is that mostare species of indoor palms have pinnate leaves . The place to look to identify indoor palms is the the base where stems emerge from the soil, the size and coloration of trunk or main stems, the areas where leaf sheaths are attached to stem, and the shape, color, and size of the leaflets.

Darold Petty

Graham, Welcome to Palmtalk !  :)

Merlyn
On 12/25/2021 at 8:02 PM, miamicuse said:

I have a number of Licuala sp. seedlings but no idea specifically what they are.

Is it possible at this stage to tell what these might be?

Yeah, most of them look similar when they are small.  Clearly you could rule out Peltata v. Sumawongii since they are pinnate.  I have seedlings of Aurantiaca (Paludosa), Fordiana, Peltata v. Peltata, Peltata v. Sumawongii, Ramsayi v. Tuckeri, and Spinosa.  Most of mine are smaller than yours, bought from Floribunda, NatureGirl or PalmatierMeg.  Based on the end of the leaves I'd rule out Peltata (very square tips), but Ramsayi, Spinosa, Fordiana and Aurantiaca are possibilities.

miamicuse

So I have close to 60 of these seedlings.  Most of them in repurposed water bottles.

How big do they need to be before I move them to a real pot?   I still have no idea what kind of Licuala these are.

IMG_20220504_174351.thumb.jpg.b74b75b67cc4012f3378f5851b2cb304.jpg

• Like 1

realarch

ID might take awhile, you have to narrow the possibilities of where the seed came from. When you see roots coming out of the bottom of those containers, then it’s time to move them to a larger pot. At this stage, they grow relatively fast. They look great. 

Tim

miamicuse
14 hours ago, realarch said:

ID might take awhile, you have to narrow the possibilities of where the seed came from.

I don't have any idea of where the seeds came from.  I bought all of the seedlings in a single pot from a local nursery who closed it's business, and the tag says "Luicala Sp." and the people there didn't have any specifics beyond the tag.  I then took it home and emptied the pot and individually planted about 60 of these.  So I have absolutely no idea what these are.