• Similar Content

• Looking Glass
      By Looking Glass
      I’ve got a friend that has an issue with what I presume is Phoenix sylvestris at his house.   These palms have been in the ground >1 year, probably more like 2 years.   Planted locally here/10b, in what is likely fast draining, calcerous, sandy local soil.   Likely not fertilized much, if at all, I’d bet.  

Pretty handsome young palms, and these normally do pretty well around here.  Having trouble with yellowing of the old leaves, which seems pretty straight forward.   Magnesium and potassium deficiencies are naturally troublesome here, and Phoenix family palms classically display these here, if not supplemented.  

Looks like the lawn team has overpruned these a bit, exacerbating things, but also eliminating the evidence.   

I’d give the generic advice of fertilizing the drip line with high-end, timed release palm specific fertilizer 4x/year (I like Palm Gain and TreeSaver based on availability).  And fixing likely K/Mg deficiency with 2.5 cups of langbeinite each, scattered every 4-6 weeks, til corrected (probably a year), then 3-4x per year after that.  And stop over-trimming the old fronds even if fugly.  
      But I don’t grown any of the Phoenix palms other than roebelenii, so it’s just generic advice.   
      Can any of you guys that grow these, offer specific instruction (feeding, irrigation, K/Mg, etc…) for future care that would help these guys blossom into knockout specimens in this environment.  It’s been hot and pretty dry, for the wet season lately.   The good rains have mostly been passing us over along the coast down here.  

Thanks for any input.  As always, inspirational photos are welcome.  

• palm and cactus collector
      By palm and cactus collector
      I’m planting 3 silver bismarcks from seed. Also thinking of getting a W. Robusta. Is it possible to cross-breed these palms? if so, i’d love to see names you can come up with for this.
    • DreaminAboutPalms
      By DreaminAboutPalms
      Trying to grow a triple trunked robusta trip and wondering if anyone has any tips or advice. I’ve germinated 3 seeds and placed them close together in a pot, are they too close together? 

• SALOttawa
      By SALOttawa
      I live in Ottawa, Canada. I have been growing palms for about seven years in pots. This year I am trying my first palm planted in the ground and overwintering it outdoors (with protection, of course). It is a washingtonia robusta. If it survives the winter, I will be planting two or three more in the spring. I also want to try a couple of Trachycarpus Fortunei. I am also trying to overwinter some musa basjoo and a dracanea by covering them with mulch. I also have a yucca which has been outside for three years now with no protection. If you have experience with any of these in zone 5a, or less, I would love to hear your experiences. If you want to check out my yard on YouTube, search Constance Bay Palms.
    • LunaBlue
      By LunaBlue
      Hi, new to the forum and palms in general. 
      I got this washingtonia robusta and was acclimatizing it when it started yellowing several fronds. I was super careful about watering, so couldn't be an overwatering issue. Possibly also shipping stress?
      Today I pulled it out of it's pot and turns out it was pretty root bound. And as such was not getting enough water maybe. Untangled the root ball a bit and potted up. Well draining potting mix.
      Any advice on how to help it survive? It will go out for the summer once the weather will be warmer. Location Estonia, so will stay in pot.  Currently it is in the corner of east-south facing window. Is getting some hours of sun. I have read that they are pretty tough, so hope will keep on growing.
      Second question: does robusta usually grow side shoots? Or is this some multi trunk cultivar? Getting two new shoots off the main stem. 
      Thank you!