jdl

Why are my palm tree’s fronds turning brown on the tips

jdl

What would cause the tips of my Sylvester palms to do this? Over watering? Under watering? I fertilized them about 2 months ago and I don’t think it could be from over fertilization because I only used half of the amount of fertilizer I was supposed to use just to be safe from over fertilizing. Also they were planted a little over 4 months ago. Could it be transplant shock starting to appear after this long? 

2A47D29D-17FF-4CD0-9D26-8DF52420ECB1.jpeg

Edited by jdl

Palmlover_78

Looks Like a Nutrient Deficiency,

palmleaf.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

iDesign

Great chart! Adding to my personal notes (along with the verbal descriptions @Merlyn gave in this post. Deficiencies have been a mystery to me, but it’s starting to “click” now. I’ve personally seen manganese deficiency and overwatering on a sago, And one of the palms I bought had a boron deficiency (that resolved after fertilizing). My Coccothrinax crinita deficiency is a mystery, but these photos and descriptions should help. I’ll get this eventually!

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Jenny88
      By Jenny88
      Hi,
      I had this Sylvester palm transplanted about three weeks ago. I would like an opinion about how my tree is looking and any suggestions to help care for it. The yellow/brown leaves are making me nervous. 
      I had a large oak tree removed about six months before planting the palm. It was planted a few feet away from where the trunk of the oak was, but the oak tree was huge and roots were everywhere. Some even had to cut out when the palm was being transplanted 
      I have not used any fertilizers yet. I live in northern Florida and we have not had much rain lately. I’m still watering daily. 

thank you for everyone’s help  

• husmenusta
      By husmenusta
      Hello, complete beginner here so I apologize if this questions sound stupid. 
      I have licuala grandis I purchased last july, and the store I bought said you need to replant in next April or so I have questions about that. Living in Ankara, Turley.

1 - I have some browning/yellowing on the tips only, can I do something about that? What is the probable reasons for that?
      2 - My current pot is 25 cm in diameter, so I was thinking getting 35cm in diamater? 
      3 - Any special kind of soil mixture I need to use for this palm? 
      4 - Should I use any fertiziler after repotting? 
      5 - Any advice in general how to take care of better?
      Thank you kindly for your answers.

cd4c0733-3e7f-40c8-9bcb-fd3394d9c7d6 (1).jfif fa95a840-aaad-4c65-a213-cf4e330243ff.jfif cd4c0733-3e7f-40c8-9bcb-fd3394d9c7d6.jfif
    • jdl
      By jdl
      First winter with palm trees. My sylvesters had a good bit of freeze damage but there’s still green in the middle of both so they’re still alive. I’m pretty sure most of the damage is now over because it is starting to get warmer.
      But I need to know exactly how I should treat this in Spring.
      Should I cut off everything except for the meristem on both palms? And should I spray fungicide in them or is there no need to? 

(The photos of when they were green is for reference of how badly they were burned in the cold)
    • jdl
      By jdl
      Why do some Sylvester palms look like this with short bottom fronds?