IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Where to find coral rocks and coral blocks in south Florida?

miamicuse

I am looking for suggestions where to find coral rocks or rectangular coral blocks for landscape use in south Florida.

I apologize this is probably not the right sub-forum but there isn't one for non-plant related landscape discussions.

IMG_20211221_153837.jpg.e4b6086bc19c2eedc67d7d9b37fe8e5c.jpg

IMG_20211221_153821.jpg.6b175e7ef6ea75703895198e7823d036.jpg

For 6x6x6 chunks,visit the beaches around Ft. Lauderdale/Pompano;especially after a storm. Tons of it out there...

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

Most new developments or road construction will generate plenty of boulders.  I asked the contractor if I could have some and he said "no" because everything was either to be used on site for landscaping or they sold it to a crusher for fill.  He intimated that if some turned up missing on the off days, he would not be concerned though.  Don't get caught by the gendarme though because theft from any construction site is a felony.

Pool builders and sewer contractors could be good sources.  Keep in mind that boulders are big.  You are not.  You will need a machine.  Also realize that boulders are usually dirt cheap.  It is the loading, unloading and transportation that costs money.

There are a few rock suppliers around Homestead and other places.  I used to get boulders from Larry's Caprock if he is still in business.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

• 1 year later...
On 12/24/2021 at 7:59 PM, miamicuse said:

I am looking for suggestions where to find coral rocks or rectangular coral blocks for landscape use in south Florida.

I apologize this is probably not the right sub-forum but there isn't one for non-plant related landscape discussions.

IMG_20211221_153837.jpg.e4b6086bc19c2eedc67d7d9b37fe8e5c.jpg

IMG_20211221_153821.jpg.6b175e7ef6ea75703895198e7823d036.jpg

Any luck finding a good source of those rocks?  
Ed did not return my calls.  

Edited by Looking Glass

Please note that the rocks in the picture are not coral rock, they are oolitic limestone, the common bedrock in South Florida.  

People down here often refer to oolitic limestone as coral rock, but that's not correct.  True coral rock does exist, usually mined in the Florida Keys, and referred to as Florida keystone.

Florida keystone is often used for pool decks, even though it can be quite unpleasant to walk on barefoot, and quickly grows mold and mildew.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1