IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sabal's in PNW

Paradise Found

Sabal's are hardy in some parts of the PNW/ West Seattle Sabal garden.  This is not my photo found on Net. Photo is from 2015 and they are still alive and much bigger now.

The palms are Left to Right... Sabal etonia, S. causarium, and S. minor. I have a small S. burmdiana.

home-design.jpg.af0a574fd0baf94713314cc695fa9fdd.jpg

Edited by Paradise Found
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 1

And not as slow as some would think. My S. minor put out close to 5 fronds this year and my S. palmetto almost 3 (first year in the ground). These are two palms I will not even worry about protecting in the upcoming cold blast. 

I just got some S. causarium seeds in the mail today, very excited about this one! 

• Like 2

Zone 8b, Csb (Warm-summer Mediterranean climate). 1,940 annual sunshine hours 
Annual lows-> 19/20: -5.0C, 20/21: -5.5C, 21/22: -8.3C, 22/23: -9.4C, 23/24: 1.1C (so far!)

Nice! I guess you'll use bottom heat to get them to grow faster? When there seedlings!  

How much sun does your Sabal's get in summer? How offter do you water? 

Edited by Paradise Found

I have a reasonable collection

6 Sabal minor - 5 McCurtains

10 S palmetto

10 S palmetto “Lisa”

2 S uresana “Highlands”

2 S Louisiana

1 S brazoriensis

2 S “Riverside”

1 S “Birmingham”

1 S “Oregon”

3 S causiarum 

The S brazoriensis flowers and sets seed  I’m hoping my oldest minor will next year.

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, Chester B said:

I have a reasonable collection

6 Sabal minor - 5 McCurtains

10 S palmetto

10 S palmetto “Lisa”

2 S uresana “Highlands”

2 S Louisiana

1 S brazoriensis

2 S “Riverside”

1 S “Birmingham”

1 S “Oregon”

3 S causiarum 

The S brazoriensis flowers and sets seed  I’m hoping my oldest minor will next year.

Pictures?  I've only seen video of a couple of those I believe. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Paradise Found said:

Sabal's are hardy in some parts of the PNW/ West Seattle Sabal garden.  This is not my photo found on Net. Photo is from 2015 and they are still alive and much bigger now.

The palms are Left to Right... Sabal etonia, S. causarium, and S. minor. I have a small S. burmdiana.

I drive by a couple Sabals in west Seattle almost every day. Not these but a nice one in particular I think a sabal Minor, low/small trunk with big tall wide lacey fronds. I’ll try and snap a pic tomorrow!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paradise Found said:

Nice! I guess you'll use bottom heat to get them to grow faster? When there seedlings!  

How much sun does your Sabal's get in summer? How offter do you water? 

I will while they are small, then I’ll grow them up in my greenhouse in bigger pots once they are beyond 2 strap leaves. 

They get mostly full sun at my place. I don’t water too often, however I make an effort to dump all my old fish tank water on them whenever I do a water change. I’m sure they like all the yummy fish poop that goes along with that too haha. 

• Like 1

Annual lows-> 19/20: -5.0C, 20/21: -5.5C, 21/22: -8.3C, 22/23: -9.4C, 23/24: 1.1C (so far!)

47 minutes ago, ShadyDan said:

I will while they are small, then I’ll grow them up in my greenhouse in bigger pots once they are beyond 2 strap leaves. 

They get mostly full sun at my place. I don’t water too often, however I make an effort to dump all my old fish tank water on them whenever I do a water change. I’m sure they like all the yummy fish poop that goes along with that too haha. 

Smart man, I do the same except my Butia is generally the recipient. I run the hose out the front door to the base of the palm. Gets about 30 gallons in summer. The house plants are the other recipients. 

The benefits of the aquarium water is that it is a mild fertilizer, warm and dechlorinated. 

With my Sabals I water them as much as I can in summer. 

Edited by Chester B
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Paradise Found said:

Here are some more palms in the same yard as above.  Butia orodata, & Brahea edulis.  again these are older picture and they are much taller now. 

33380951540_5676cfbafb_z.jpg.03ab636b38bb9bc33f4764d839e5c3ea.jpg

871900848_LqjeV-XL.thumb.jpg.e898d11d386b9003f2558959fcdf9ad0.jpg

33380960870_6179ab5391_z.jpg.2a302d3b7bee8f3705927b33f0cdd80b.jpg

33636391851_3b1dd2bd3c_z.jpg.65e2297461908f956e9d21da5cdbe207.jpg

Edited by Paradise Found
  • Like 4

• 11 months later...

How did everyone's Sabals in the PNW handle the year? My minor and palmetto made it through the deep Christmas 2021 freeze unprotected with 0 issues. Despite the late start to the growing season in 2022, I still got 2 fronds out of my minor and 2.5 out of the palmetto... a far cry from the 5 fronds I managed to eeek out of the minor during the hot hot heat of 2021! I bought both of these plants in 2019 as tiny strap-leaf palms in 2.5" pots. Anyways, here are some pictures I took in the late summer of them:

Sabal minor:
image.thumb.jpeg.48668f602964607a003c0cbac8c9d42d.jpeg

Sabal palmetto:
image.thumb.jpeg.3311f78c1d289120971344b2f02359c4.jpeg

• Like 8

I have Sabal Riverside in the ground along with an unknown Sabal which I’m thinking could be a etonia. In pots I have Bermudana, Causarium, Lisa, Louisiana and Brazoria. I love this species and have been collecting them over the years. Will be planting some of them in year 4 or 5 once they have several strap leaves. Riverside has been growing steadily for me and start to pick up growth in years 2/3. Will post an update in the spring as the 2 in ground are wrapped for winter from these cold outbreaks. 

6D68ACE7-C6CE-4692-924D-9F4C95F62533.jpeg

• Like 6

22 hours ago, southpacific73 said:

I have Sabal Riverside in the ground along with an unknown Sabal which I’m thinking could be a etonia. In pots I have Bermudana, Causarium, Lisa, Louisiana and Brazoria. I love this species and have been collecting them over the years. Will be planting some of them in year 4 or 5 once they have several strap leaves. Riverside has been growing steadily for me and start to pick up growth in years 2/3. Will post an update in the spring as the 2 in ground are wrapped for winter from these cold outbreaks. 

6D68ACE7-C6CE-4692-924D-9F4C95F62533.jpeg

I’ve found the Sabals to be quite good for us as they can tolerate the winter moisture and are surprisingly drought tolerant. However they grow best with ample water so best to water frequently in summer.  I started with my first one six years ago.  

In ground I have:

Sabal minor “McCurtain” plus 2 other unknown sources 

Sabal “Louisiana”

Sabal brazoriensis 

Sabal uresana 

Sabal causiarum 

Sabal “Birmingham”

Sabal rosei 

Still in pots, some are big enough (5-7 gallon) to be planted next spring  

Sabal palmetto 

Sabal palmetto “Lisa”

Sabal “Riverside”

Sabal “Oregon”

Sabal domingensis 

Sabal bermudana 

• Like 4

So true sabals are quite flexible in terms of heat/cold and moisture. So many variants to choose from also! Chester B that’s an impressive list of Sabals! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, southpacific73 said:

So true sabals are quite flexible in terms of heat/cold and moisture. So many variants to choose from also! Chester B that’s an impressive list of Sabals! 

Thanks. Sabal mexicana is the one I’m missing that should do well here. I had some seedlings that I grew from seed but they were attacked by some pest one winter in my greenhouse. Unfortunately they didn’t recover. I had other Sabals in there that were left alone, bad luck I guess. 

• Like 1

Chester B at least you’re in the US and can easily replace or receive palm seeds/trees. It’s quite difficult and expensive up here . How is Sabal Oregon in terms of growth and hardiness? 

9 hours ago, southpacific73 said:

Chester B at least you’re in the US and can easily replace or receive palm seeds/trees. It’s quite difficult and expensive up here . How is Sabal Oregon in terms of growth and hardiness? 

Yes I do feel lucky I can find most of these without much looking. When I was back in Ontario I grew my palms from seed and you know how slow that is. 

All I can say about the Sabal “Oregon” is that it grows at a glacial pace. It’s inside under grow lights and I have 6 other Sabal species growing along with it and they are like rocket ships in comparison.  I’ve read the description from the seller a few times and I think it may be a straight Sabal “Birmingham”. I think it’s grown two small strap leaves in the last year. So it’s going to be sometime until it finds it’s way outside. 

• Like 1

Yes I know how slow that process is 90% of my palms are all seed grown. Thanks for the feedback on Sabal Oregon. Back in the day when I was rookie in this palm growing hobby. I had a Sabal Birmingham also and it was a slow grower. Probably had one or two strap leaves. I had planted in the ground hoping it would be speed up but it died after one of the arctic outbreaks we had. 

• Like 1

The only ones that do halfway decent for me are S. minor, S. minor (emerald island var.)  S. mexicana, S. palmetto.  Not for lack of trying most of the other variants.  The emerald isle are probably my favorite but they are so slow that they are still in strap leaf after two years from seed.

• Like 2