Paradise Found

Sabal's in PNW

Paradise Found

Sabal's are hardy in some parts of the PNW/ West Seattle Sabal garden.  This is not my photo found on Net. Photo is from 2015 and they are still alive and much bigger now.

The palms are Left to Right... Sabal etonia, S. causarium, and S. minor. I have a small S. burmdiana.

home-design.jpg.af0a574fd0baf94713314cc695fa9fdd.jpg

Edited by Paradise Found
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

ShadyDan

And not as slow as some would think. My S. minor put out close to 5 fronds this year and my S. palmetto almost 3 (first year in the ground). These are two palms I will not even worry about protecting in the upcoming cold blast. 

I just got some S. causarium seeds in the mail today, very excited about this one! 

• Like 1

Paradise Found

Nice! I guess you'll use bottom heat to get them to grow faster? When there seedlings!  

How much sun does your Sabal's get in summer? How offter do you water? 

Edited by Paradise Found

Chester B

I have a reasonable collection

6 Sabal minor - 5 McCurtains

10 S palmetto

10 S palmetto “Lisa”

2 S uresana “Highlands”

2 S Louisiana

1 S brazoriensis

2 S “Riverside”

1 S “Birmingham”

1 S “Oregon”

3 S causiarum 

The S brazoriensis flowers and sets seed  I’m hoping my oldest minor will next year.

• Like 2

Jesse PNW
49 minutes ago, Chester B said:

I have a reasonable collection

6 Sabal minor - 5 McCurtains

10 S palmetto

10 S palmetto “Lisa”

2 S uresana “Highlands”

2 S Louisiana

1 S brazoriensis

2 S “Riverside”

1 S “Birmingham”

1 S “Oregon”

3 S causiarum 

The S brazoriensis flowers and sets seed  I’m hoping my oldest minor will next year.

Pictures?  I've only seen video of a couple of those I believe. 

• Like 1

NWpalms@206
4 hours ago, Paradise Found said:

Sabal's are hardy in some parts of the PNW/ West Seattle Sabal garden.  This is not my photo found on Net. Photo is from 2015 and they are still alive and much bigger now.

The palms are Left to Right... Sabal etonia, S. causarium, and S. minor. I have a small S. burmdiana.

I drive by a couple Sabals in west Seattle almost every day. Not these but a nice one in particular I think a sabal Minor, low/small trunk with big tall wide lacey fronds. I’ll try and snap a pic tomorrow!

• Like 1

ShadyDan
1 hour ago, Paradise Found said:

Nice! I guess you'll use bottom heat to get them to grow faster? When there seedlings!  

How much sun does your Sabal's get in summer? How offter do you water? 

I will while they are small, then I’ll grow them up in my greenhouse in bigger pots once they are beyond 2 strap leaves. 

They get mostly full sun at my place. I don’t water too often, however I make an effort to dump all my old fish tank water on them whenever I do a water change. I’m sure they like all the yummy fish poop that goes along with that too haha. 

• Like 1

Paradise Found

OH Yeah! Plants love fish tank waste water. LOL!  Why buy it when you have your own to throw out. LOL! 

• Like 1

Chester B
47 minutes ago, ShadyDan said:

I will while they are small, then I’ll grow them up in my greenhouse in bigger pots once they are beyond 2 strap leaves. 

They get mostly full sun at my place. I don’t water too often, however I make an effort to dump all my old fish tank water on them whenever I do a water change. I’m sure they like all the yummy fish poop that goes along with that too haha. 

Smart man, I do the same except my Butia is generally the recipient. I run the hose out the front door to the base of the palm. Gets about 30 gallons in summer. The house plants are the other recipients. 

The benefits of the aquarium water is that it is a mild fertilizer, warm and dechlorinated. 

With my Sabals I water them as much as I can in summer. 

Edited by Chester B
  • Like 1

Paradise Found
7 hours ago, Paradise Found said:

Here are some more palms in the same yard as above.  Butia orodata, & Brahea edulis.  again these are older picture and they are much taller now. 

33380951540_5676cfbafb_z.jpg.03ab636b38bb9bc33f4764d839e5c3ea.jpg

871900848_LqjeV-XL.thumb.jpg.e898d11d386b9003f2558959fcdf9ad0.jpg

33380960870_6179ab5391_z.jpg.2a302d3b7bee8f3705927b33f0cdd80b.jpg

33636391851_3b1dd2bd3c_z.jpg.65e2297461908f956e9d21da5cdbe207.jpg

Edited by Paradise Found
  • Like 1