IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Winter's Day, 21-12-21

Darold Petty

As a lapsed and semi-observant pagan, I try to spend my day in the garden on the solstice and equinox days.  Here are images from my garden, all made today.

The view to the west with the crown of Cyathea medularis and Ceroxylon quindiuense

Lepidorrhachis opening a new frond

Bomarea multiflora

Dypsis baronii 'Black Stem' from Bill Austin seed,   obtained February 18th, 2018

closer image,  same palm

ground planting achieved this afternoon,   D. baronii 'Black Stem' on the right and D. baronii 'Black Petiole' on the left  (RPS seed)

It was quite pleasant today, scattered light rain showers and temperature of 50F, or 10C.     :greenthumb:

IMG_0435.JPG

IMG_0438.JPG

IMG_0439.JPG

IMG_0440.JPG

IMG_0442.JPG

IMG_0445.JPG

• Like 21
  • Upvote 5

San Francisco, California

Outstanding!

• Like 1

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

9 hours ago, Darold Petty said:

As a lapsed and semi-observant pagan, I try to spend my day in the garden on the solstice and equinox days.

No dancing around the stones and baying at the moon.  Darold, you are a lapsed pagan.

• Like 2

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

1 hour ago, Frond-friend42 said:

Cool! Blacks stems going through a red phase? I hope mine do it.

I have grown generic D. baronii,  D. b 'Black Petiole', and D. b 'Black Stem'.  The generic ones are just as colorful when juvenile, but usually will become all green as adults.

So.. don't pay a lot of money for a generic colorful small plant !  :winkie:  If it stops raining a bit today I can post my adult, generic forms. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Darold Petty said:

I have grown generic D. baronii,  D. b 'Black Petiole', and D. b 'Black Stem'.  The generic ones are just as colorful when juvenile, but usually will become all green as adults.

So.. don't pay a lot of money for a generic colorful small plant !  :winkie:  If it stops raining a bit today I can post my adult, generic forms. 

By "generic" do you mean the ones from Floribunda?

I personally have...
- Dypsis baronii Black Stem "The Real Deal"  from Josh at Fairview (one of my more expensive purchases... not sure what he meant by "The Real Deal")
- Dypsis baronii Black Stem seedlings from Floribunda (five seedlings @ $8 each)

Photos below (larger is the more expensive one). Assuming Josh did indeed sell me "The Real Deal" ... is the expectation that the more expensive one is likely to have the black stem, but the seedlings will eventually have a green stem? I'll enjoy them either way, but the answer would influence where I place them in the yard. Looking forward to seeing your comparison photos.

larger.jpg

smaller.jpg

• Like 1

Stacey Wright  |  Graphic Designer

Here is one I missed from the first posting of images taken yesterday,  this is a Howea forsteriana, it came to me labeled as "Red Kentia".  I have two of these, and they are stronger and faster growing than other forms.   I would very much like to obtain more of this form.

IMG_0441.JPG

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Stacy, when I say generic D. baronii I mean that there is no color reference to the vendor's ID, such as "RPS Dypsis baronii".  I have no experience with Black Petiole or Black Stem other than the small ones I showed previously.  I  did see a true Black Stem at the SoCal garden of our Moderator, Dean Ouer, now managed by his son.  However, I don't recall much of this plant from memory.

Here are two images, the first is my group of 'generic' D. baronii, these were quite colorful as juveniles, but have matured into just green, but with a faint, but nice blueish tone.

(hard to see when wet)   I don't know anything about the form from Josh Allen.   I believe that these color forms all have originated from tourist collections from the landscaping plants at the Vakona Lodge in Madagascar.

The second image shows plants I have grown from seed,  "RPS D. baronii" on the left and "Bill Austin D. baronii Black Stem" on the right,  pretty similar, right ?  :winkie:

The slight difference I observe is that the Black Stem tends to hold the color higher up on the petiole.

IMG_0448.JPG

IMG_0449.JPG

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Darold Petty said:

Stacy, when I say generic D. baronii I mean that there is no color reference to the vendor's ID, such as "RPS Dypsis baronii"...

Ah, I thought you were referring to a "Generic Dypsis baronii black stem", and was wondering what you meant by that. Thanks for clarifying that you were referring to "Generic Dypsis baronii" (makes more sense now). I still think the "generic" baronii are very pretty with that dark/light green contrast.

The reason I was curious was because I've read there are several versions of the "black stem" baronii out there. I seem to recall that the  the first batch from Rancho Soledad (from the Lodge) was problematic, and the seeds Bill Austin collected (near the Lodge but not in it) were having better results. If so, I'm guessing Josh meant his was a Bill Austin plant? I'll have to ask him whenever I'm picking up palms again. I also wonder where Floribunda got theirs.

Yet another thing only palm geeks think about :wub2:

• Like 2

Stacey Wright  |  Graphic Designer

5 hours ago, idesign123 said:

….Yet another thing only palm geeks think about :wub2:

If Josh told me it was the “real deal”, I’d definitely believe him.  Stand up dude. :shaka-2:

-dale

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Darold Petty said:

Stacy, when I say generic D. baronii I mean that there is no color reference to the vendor's ID, such as "RPS Dypsis baronii".  I have no experience with Black Petiole or Black Stem other than the small ones I showed previously.  I  did see a true Black Stem at the SoCal garden of our Moderator, Dean Ouer, now managed by his son.  However, I don't recall much of this plant from memory.

Here are two images, the first is my group of 'generic' D. baronii, these were quite colorful as juveniles, but have matured into just green, but with a faint, but nice blueish tone.

(hard to see when wet)   I don't know anything about the form from Josh Allen.   I believe that these color forms all have originated from tourist collections from the landscaping plants at the Vakona Lodge in Madagascar.

The second image shows plants I have grown from seed,  "RPS D. baronii" on the left and "Bill Austin D. baronii Black Stem" on the right,  pretty similar, right ?  :winkie:

The slight difference I observe is that the Black Stem tends to hold the color higher up on the petiole.

IMG_0448.JPG

IMG_0449.JPG

Dean's Dypsis.

IMG_1758.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Palm Tree Jim said:

Dean's Dypsis.

Not accurate Jim.  This is DORIAN"S Dypsis now.  Dean lives far far away, half way across an ocean from here.:floor:

• Like 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

1 hour ago, Tracy said:

Not accurate Jim.  This is DORIAN"S Dypsis now.  Dean lives far far away, half way across an ocean from here.:floor:

Very true!