• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pacific Northwest Arctic Outbreak?

Collectorpalms

Pretty cold on my part of the island. -7C was my low last night. Lots of snow but back up to -4.5C currently. Supposed to drop back to -8C tonight. Wish me luck. 

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Zone 8b, Csb (Warm-summer Mediterranean climate). 1,940 annual sunshine hours 
Annual lows-> 19/20: -5.0C, 20/21: -5.5C, 21/22: -8.3C, 22/23: -9.4C, 23/24: 1.1C (so far!)

WOW this is totally Unbelievable Billinghams ( close to Canadian boarder) high right now at 12noon is only 12F.  The low tonight will be 9F for them....My temperature has dropped to 29F it was 34F for a few hours but now its snowing again. 

Edited by Paradise Found
  • Like 3

We get much snow..it is almost 5.5" of snow  at 12:40pm and it is still snowing. The temp is slowly going down.... More pics of snow...

PXL_20211226_183718861.jpg

PXL_20211226_185043173.jpg

PXL_20211226_184031556.jpg

PXL_20211226_184846310.jpg

PXL_20211226_185048944.jpg

PXL_20211226_184908039.jpg

PXL_20211226_203941439.jpg

PXL_20211226_203829244.jpg

PXL_20211226_183927476.jpg

PXL_20211226_183805064.jpg

• Like 6

-9c my low for today but tonight it supposed to go down to -12C or 11F. Arctic outflow warnings still in effect for my area. The winds where howling yesterday night and I’m sure they will be back tonight. I’m sure a lot of damages will be done in the next couple of days .I’m glad I pulled out my mule, sabals and jubaea which were all seedlings.

FA1EE1D9-CF79-4DC7-8DDC-5BB1E6A582C6.jpeg

• Like 8

Hummers are taking the cold and snow is stride.  click on video and it will download to the bottom of your screen, hit play. 

Edited by Paradise Found
  • Like 2

If there were palms in the Fraser Valley hope they were out of the wind. Just brutal. I’ll cross the Valley off retirement possibilities. Bellingham International gusts over 50 mph.

Portland Metro has lucked out. Briefly when the high resolution models, which usually are better predictors of precipitation, stars aligned and had a convergent band of snow today and clearing skies overnight and calm winds. They responded by dropping the floor out. Now it’s not going below 23F tonight, if that. GFS got that right recently with a precipitation shadow staying over the metro and warmer temperatures. 

2FDB7396-DD40-4595-B3D0-5A3B85E4E4E3.png

EC77D5F6-E78E-4D25-8255-422FA219B3E3.jpeg

C17FEB80-4C69-4141-960A-664D4AFE5BBE.png

C30C17F6-1477-4B7E-A6B6-D847EFBBD5D9.jpeg

25511B07-969D-40B9-A5F7-C3A1F2B2D854.jpeg

DCDCF246-9572-4C88-B08E-D84A93A5E730.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

Snow here is all gone. We were above freezing pretty much all day. It was a mix of sunshine  and snow flurries all day but it melted on impact. Apparently we’re just south of the real cold according to Mark Nelson. Everyday above freezing for us. Official snow total was 0.5” and last night was the first official frost for Portland, at my house I’ve had 3 very light ones. And most importantly the palms look happy. 

• Like 4

Agree...bye afternoon my son was like where is the snow...gone completely...but I've got another inch..its 33...just yo yo weather...as much as I hate snow it's really perfect timing for the kiddos!

I've got some extra snow if you Oregonians feel like you're missing out.  25f here and dropping.  

Bryan all the palms I got from you are safe and sound in the greenhouse.  Supposed to hit 16f tonight...  I'll probably throw the propane heater in there for an hour or so before I go to bed.  

• Like 1

Chester did you protect your Livistona chinensis? Or Anybody?

I've got mine in a popup greenhouse and it staying warm inside so far, with heat that is, LOL.

• Like 2

Will that be enough heat for them or do you excepting leaf damage?  I know Nitidas is faster growing back.  

I'm not to sure about mine, the heavy snow keeps pulling the side down but since it stopped snowing it seem ok.  7:45 pm 25F.

Edited by Paradise Found

@Paradise Found the chinensis got covered with nursery pots. The mules got wrapped with fabric and lights since they’re small. 

9:30 pm and 32F with light powdery snow falling. So much better than the wet stuff. 

• Like 2

This is just brutal...
Wishing the best of luck to all of you and your palms through this event! 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Palms - 3 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 4 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 2 P. sylvestris, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 2 BxS, 1 C. nucifera, 1 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa

All my snow melted yesterday but we got a fresh round last night of some nice light flakes. At my house less then half an inch but other areas of the city got much more. 30F at 6am so still pretty mild but it seems based on current forecasts the cold is going to stick around for an extra couple days. 

Edited by Chester B

Chester your really  missing out in all the fun, with this cold spell, lol. This mornings low is 22F. not sure how warm its going to be but still in the 20's for highs.  My ch. radicalis are on their own, a real test for sure. Three more day below freezing, enough of this crap, I want the rain back. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Paradise Found said:

Chester your really  missing out in all the fun, with this cold spell, lol. This mornings low is 22F. not sure how warm its going to be but still in the 20's for highs.  My ch. radicalis are on their own, a real test for sure. Three more day below freezing, enough of this crap, I want the rain back. 

Well can’t say I’m disappointed!  Friday and Saturday overnights are looking cold now. I agree bring back that rain. Can’t wait until March. 

it’s kind of strange today some areas of the coast are colder than me. And the beaches are covered in snow in some spots n

Edited by Chester B

Last night's minimum 20.8F.  Better than the 16 they called for.  

Woke up at 3am and the greenhouse was 33f.  May have been OK but too close for comfort.  My dual-burner propane heater, on low, got it up to 60f in 20 minutes... which is too hot since the thermostat turns off the heat lamp at 50f. 

My low was -12.5C or 9.5F last night which was the coldest night of the Arctic Outbreak. Future temps aren’t looking that great with more snow expected and cold! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chester B said:

Well can’t say I’m disappointed!  Friday and Saturday overnights are looking cold now. I agree bring back that rain. Can’t wait until March. 

it’s kind of strange today some areas of the coast are colder than me. And the beaches are covered in snow in some spots n

-3C and lots of snow in Tofino this morning. Pretty cold for Canada’s warmest climate right on the west coast of the Island.  Can’t say I’ve ever surfed in the snow before, should be interesting!

-8.3C was my low back in Nanoose last night. Most of my tenders should breeze through these temps. I figured as long as I stay above -10C I’m in the clear and all my palms should be fine.. The only thing I’m worried about is my big Acacia, but it looked healthy when I left yesterday. I guess I’ll see in a few days. 

BCCAAB92-FEF6-4052-947C-2C26DD6673D7.jpeg

• Like 12

Zone 8b, Csb (Warm-summer Mediterranean climate). 1,940 annual sunshine hours 
Annual lows-> 19/20: -5.0C, 20/21: -5.5C, 21/22: -8.3C, 22/23: -9.4C, 23/24: 1.1C (so far!)

A few snow photos taken this weekend.  Have 6" of snow now it so cold it like powder.  Temp has gone up and is now 26F - 28F. chilly but as long as you move around it not bad.  Looks like rain by Thursday. 

IMG-2607.JPG

IMG-2605.JPG

IMG-2602.JPG

IMG-2587.JPG

IMG-2586.JPG

IMG-2583.JPG

IMG-2573.JPG

IMG-2576.JPG

IMG-2580.JPG

IMG-2551.JPG

IMG-2553.JPG

IMG-2549.JPG

IMG-2564.JPG

IMG-2568.JPG

IMG-2560.JPG

Edited by Paradise Found
  • Like 5

18 hours ago, Paradise Found said:

Chester did you protect your Livistona chinensis? Or Anybody?

I've got mine in a popup greenhouse and it staying warm inside so far, with heat that is, LOL.

I have one 5 gallon Livistonia chinensis in the greenhouse and about a dozen in 1 gallon pots outside unprotected. I ran out of space, so if any of them live I'll let you know!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, matthedlund said:

I have one 5 gallon Livistonia chinensis in the greenhouse and about a dozen in 1 gallon pots outside unprotected. I ran out of space, so if any of them live I'll let you know!

Matthed I think the 5 gallon should make it for sure, may have leaf damage but will come back.  I don't no about the 1 gallons if they'll come back or not.  Yes, please let me know.  Thanks for the responds, hope your doing good. 

Edited by Paradise Found

The Snow photos continue, also, inside the greenhouse plants look good so far. There is no door on the greenhouse. Inside the cage there is hardly any snow.

IMG-2537.JPG

IMG-2526.JPG

IMG-2546.JPG

IMG-2542.JPG

IMG-2522.JPG

IMG-2524.JPG

IMG-2520.JPG

IMG-2512.JPG

IMG-2508.JPG

IMG-2507.JPG

IMG-2504.JPG

IMG-2499.JPG

• Like 4

@Paradise FoundBeautiful Snowy Wonderland pics. I am expecting some leaf damages on the nitidas. The temp inside the palm is hovering around low 40s

My lowest temperature was either 16F or 17F.  

• Like 1

I got 4 inches last night ...some melted today but we only hit..35 for a high..there saying another 1 to 3 tonight then it's suppose to go to rain..lets see......ill  send some pics tommarow !

Hey, everyone from the PNW .. hang in there plants are tougher than humans.....i always look at the bright side ...id rather get are cold outta the way now.....if we can get a nice spring..! I've seen bamboo flattened for a week a bounce back!

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Hutch said:

Hey, everyone from the PNW .. hang in there plants are tougher than humans.....i always look at the bright side ...id rather get are cold outta the way now.....if we can get a nice spring..! I've seen bamboo flattened for a week a bounce back!

Yes, its almost over and the garden is looking good.  Tuesday mornings low was 28F.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Hutch said:

Most of my bamboo is almost flat.  

Sierra is loving this. 

20211228_082018.jpg

20211228_082805.jpg

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Paradise Found said:

Yes, its almost over and the garden is looking good.  Tuesday mornings low was 28F.

Doesn’t feel like that to me. Almost 4” last night and our coldest nights are the next 4. 

B45C2D72-B44D-48CA-B217-31DB3FFC0ECB.jpeg

3293AA41-BAE8-4F6B-991E-C14122C570F6.jpeg

B239818A-837D-4AE1-AD36-8EC953E82588.jpeg

• Like 3

Dang your places looks like mine now!  Except your palms are more ample and larger of course!  How's the temp been?

• Like 1

Milder here overnight at 25°F. My Butia looks sad right now but I did tuck some burlap in the crown before this cold started.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jesse PNW said:

Dang your places looks like mine now!  Except your palms are more ample and larger of course!  How's the temp been?

I woke up yesterday to 30F, shortly after cold air pushed in dropping temps to 26f for a couple hours. Temps rose to 28f and sat there all day. This morning it was 30f but has risen to 32F.

The next two nights are projected to be low 20s followed by a couple of high 20s. The next 4 days we’ll be a few degrees above freezing and then it’s warm again. 

So not horrible cold but the longest stretch of cold I’ve seen since living here.  

• Like 1

Well @Chester B so far it seems like you have stayed warmer than all of the forecasts.  Hopefully it continues to hold true.  But low 20s isn't bad.  Especially with all the protecting you've done. 

• Like 2