• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pacific Northwest Arctic Outbreak?

Collectorpalms

33 minutes ago, Las Palmas Norte said:

Main roads and highways get the lions share of attention.  Snow removal around town is hit and miss, more miss than hit.

Highways get plowed here, everything else not so much. Neighborhood streets will never see a plow. 

Models keep backing off. Pouring rain here still under flood warnings. Hard to believe it going to change. We’re under flood warnings and winter storm warnings at the same time. 

Yesterday when I was doing the protection I was only wearing a t shirt. Crazy stuff. 

Edited by Chester B

54 minutes ago, Las Palmas Norte said:

Woke up to near 6" of snow this morning. Current temp 35°F / 1.5°C. We have a 40 mile drive today for Christmas commitments. Hopefully road crews are on top of conditions. :mellow2:

Nothing down here for me, just rain. I don’t even own a snow shovel and I’m not about to buy one now! Last time we had decent snow in Nanoose it took 3 days for crews to plow my road. 

Im heading to Tofino for 3 nights on Boxing Day, the mini ice age should be much more bearable there for me. Too bad I cant take my plants with me. 

Edited by ShadyDan
  • Like 1

Zone 8b, Csb (Warm-summer Mediterranean climate). 1,940 annual sunshine hours 
Annual lows-> 19/20: -5.0C, 20/21: -5.5C, 21/22: -8.3C, 22/23: -9.4C, 23/24: 1.1C (so far!)

3 hours ago, Chester B said:

It has backed off a lot for me too at the moment. 1 maybe 2 days below freezing. A few nights in the 20s. Nothing too scary, let’s hope this holds. 

I’m feeling all that work yesterday this morning though!  I’m still going to protect a couple of tender palms in the back and my tree fern though. 

lol it's hell gettin' older...

• Like 1

I'm done protecting, there is no protection material. I did put a blanket over my red banana, its lying down one foot off the ground.  My lows have gone up some,  coldest three nights are 16, 17, 18F.  And this is for the airport which is always colder than me.  I'll be checking my lows at 7am to see how close I come to these lows.

Chester my back and knees are sore too. lol.

• Like 3

Don’t put too much trust into this fizzling out. It’s -41 in Fort Yukon and by Sunday it’s going to warm about 50 to 70 degrees in Alaska. That cold air hasn’t even begun to push south.

The Canadian model has all along moved this cold air quicker ( shorter duration of sub freezing hours ) than GFS, but snow isn’t likely at Sea Level until The Day after Xmas, except in convective bands, with possible thunder.

Latest model run has freezing temperatures all the way to The Hollywood Hills, yet sparing Portland. Again it’s just one model run.

If you have protected your palms, no need to worry. 

D46526CE-274D-4D13-830D-EDD3875A3B4C.jpeg

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Like 3

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

Arctic Outflow Warning
Coastal British Columbia

Alert summary
Arctic outflow winds and falling temperatures will combine to produce wind chill values below minus 20.

Locations: Metro Vancouver, Fraser Valley, Howe Sound, Sea to Sky Highway, Whistler, near the mainland inlets of the Sunshine Coast and Comox and Campbell River.

Time span: early Sunday morning to Wednesday afternoon.

Wind chill values: below minus 20. Temperatures: Near record cold temperatures next week.

Remarks: An Arctic ridge of high pressure over the B.C. interior will bring strong and bitterly cold outflow winds to coastal communities beginning Saturday night. The outflow winds will create wind chill values of minus 20 and below. Mainland inlets and areas that are exposed to outflow winds are more likely to experience these very cold wind chill values. Temperatures will remain well below seasonal and will bottom out near record cold temperatures next week.

The wind chill will improve during to day on Wednesday as temperatures increase.

Frostbite and hypothermia can occur within minutes if adequate precautions are not taken when outdoors. Any outdoor activity exposes you to an increased risk of frostbite.

Please continue to monitor alerts and forecasts issued by Environment Canada. To report severe weather, send an email to BCstorm@ec.gc.ca or tweet reports using #BCStorm.
Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Like 1

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

For those of you closer into Seattle I would recommend this weather blog for some details.  Some of you may already be familiar with this gentleman (Cliff Mass) who has been a weather forecaster/climatologist in that area for a few decades and is in my opinion one of the best in the PNW.

Cliff Mass Weather Blog

He discusses some very good meteo. regional details in the latest blog from today (Dec 24th).

-- Matt

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Collectorpalms said:
Arctic Outflow Warning
Coastal British Columbia

Alert summary
Arctic outflow winds and falling temperatures will combine to produce wind chill values below minus 20.

Locations: Metro Vancouver, Fraser Valley, Howe Sound, Sea to Sky Highway, Whistler, near the mainland inlets of the Sunshine Coast and Comox and Campbell River.

Time span: early Sunday morning to Wednesday afternoon.

Wind chill values: below minus 20. Temperatures: Near record cold temperatures next week.

Remarks: An Arctic ridge of high pressure over the B.C. interior will bring strong and bitterly cold outflow winds to coastal communities beginning Saturday night. The outflow winds will create wind chill values of minus 20 and below. Mainland inlets and areas that are exposed to outflow winds are more likely to experience these very cold wind chill values. Temperatures will remain well below seasonal and will bottom out near record cold temperatures next week.

The wind chill will improve during to day on Wednesday as temperatures increase.

Frostbite and hypothermia can occur within minutes if adequate precautions are not taken when outdoors. Any outdoor activity exposes you to an increased risk of frostbite.

Please continue to monitor alerts and forecasts issued by Environment Canada. To report severe weather, send an email to BCstorm@ec.gc.ca or tweet reports using #BCStorm.

Glad I love south of Comox. Lots of open water between me and the mainland inlets to dissipate the outflow winds. Still gonna get cold gear, but the duration is much shorter than originally predicted. 

• Like 1

Annual lows-> 19/20: -5.0C, 20/21: -5.5C, 21/22: -8.3C, 22/23: -9.4C, 23/24: 1.1C (so far!)

They’re saying snow Sunday night here. No snow on Mt Scott elevation 1100’. Just pouring down rain all day. 

2 hours ago, Chester B said:

They’re saying snow Sunday night here. No snow on Mt Scott elevation 1100’. Just pouring down rain all day. 

Merry Christmas.....

1224211955_HDR.jpg

• Like 5

We were out of town but had to come back early.  Got to move all the precious seedlings out of the greenhouse and back into the growbox where I know they'll be protected even if worse comes to worst and the power goes out.  

Weather man called for 35.  It's 33 and making some very wet, heavy snow.  We drove back from Missouri, through KS, CO, WY, MT, ID....  Snow is pretty but the wife and I kept saying, "I don't know how anyone could live here!"  She's not a palm nut but she gets the tropical weather bug.  

Even just a couple miles from here, it was 35 but snowing pretty good.  I expect that's just a taste of what is to come.  

Glad I get to go do some more protecting tomorrow.  Presents with the kids in the morning, then tinkering in the garden in the afternoon.  Sounds like a great Christmas!  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Hutch said:

....I smell snow in the air!

This has nothing to do with snow or weather... but, I wish you'd post a pic of the Sabals and Chamaerops in front of your parent's house!  And the Trachy forest behind your house.  And the C radicalis.  You have so much that you could share and would be appreciated here.  

23 hours ago, ShadyDan said:

Nothing down here for me, just rain. I don’t even own a snow shovel and I’m not about to buy one now! Last time we had decent snow in Nanoose it took 3 days for crews to plow my road. 

Im heading to Tofino for 3 nights on Boxing Day, the mini ice age should be much more bearable there for me. Too bad I cant take my plants with me. 

I'm east of Coombs on the Alberni hwy Xmas day. Must be a foot of snow here and still snowing. Roads are not great. Hopefully they're cleared for your drive out to Tofino tomorrow.  It's 28F and no very likely to warm up much. It's insane and feels like I've been sent to a place far away.

20211225_084511.jpg

• Like 6

@Las Palmas Norte I'm not sure whether I should even 'like' that photo or not that you posted. It looks nice and scenic, but I would hate to experience that here.

Dry-summer Oceanic climate (9a)

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

Rain/Snow today and turning to heavy snow early evening, 90% chance of snow tonight.  Its been 37F all morning, but we did get a trace of snow late last night.  Tonight will be the first of the nights to go below freezing.  Looking at 27F by sunday morning.  Sunday night you can most likely be another 10 degrees colder than Saturday night.  :evil:

Edited by Paradise Found

My forecast for Monday and Tuesday is still changing by the hour.

Yesterday's forecast had a low of 5 degrees, today it's 12. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Las Palmas Norte said:

I'm east of Coombs on the Alberni hwy Xmas day. Must be a foot of snow here and still snowing. Roads are not great. Hopefully they're cleared for your drive out to Tofino tomorrow.  It's 28F and no very likely to warm up much. It's insane and feels like I've been sent to a place far away.

20211225_084511.jpg

Different story this morning in Nanoose! At least it’s nice and fluffy, not that wet heavy crap. I think we will be fine, I have a good 4x4 that should get us there in one piece. Merry Christmas everyone! 

225763A2-4C15-4787-816A-26D2E890BEB1.jpeg

Edited by ShadyDan
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Usually, when it's COLD in the East, it's WARM in the West and vice versa.  It hasn't even been dropping below freezing as daily minimums here and looks the same into early January, so far.

It's been unusually warm this December in most of the country other than the West (even Hawaii has had pretty sucky weather this month).

I know it's a la nina year, but those years seem to trigger different weather pattern, el nino years seem more predictable. Maybe it's a gender thing. LOL

Wasn't last winter also la nina winter?   Same year that it dropped  to 0F on the GULF OF MEXICO!

Edited by oasis371

3 hours ago, UK_Palms said:

@Las Palmas Norte I'm not sure whether I should even 'like' that photo or not that you posted. It looks nice and scenic, but I would hate to experience that here.

11 acres of foot deep snow. All the structures are holding up nicely. 

20211225_122702.jpg

20211225_122709.jpg

• Like 7

2E838432-3ED8-49A2-A0D8-4771BC19ED28.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Wow...thats a lot of snow...i got like 17 inches aka  Snowmeggedon.... a couple years back and it was a wet snow...really threw things around but they recovered bye summers end... I'm hoping the best for everyone...snow can be a great insulator..

Pretty mild here today and pretty much rained the entire day. Yesterday we had heavy and steady rain all day. Supposed to have been getting snow by now but no sign of it yet. Tonight will still be above freezing so another 24 hours or so before some freezing weather. Most everything has been protected. Just a couple small things to do tomorrow. 

Merry Christmas everyone. Here’s a picture of the only conifer I own!

image.jpg

Edited by Chester B
  • Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Ryan i love that big wall of windows and nice tall ceiling. 

The forecast continues to get a little milder each time I check it.  Threw some upside down flowerpots on a few thing. The only things I really spent time protecting were the Butias, and I enclosed my covered corner with the Syagrus and Butiagrus, there's a heat lamp in there and I think it will stay above 32f in there.  

Bryan thanks for posting those pics!!

20211225_183409.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

The HRRR Model is picking up on something bad for Portland area. Hope it doesnt pan out.... I also dont like the long term forecast gives me PTSD even for a light freeze here.

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Jesse PNW said:

Ryan i love that big wall of windows and nice tall ceiling. 

The forecast continues to get a little milder each time I check it.  Threw some upside down flowerpots on a few thing. The only things I really spent time protecting were the Butias, and I enclosed my covered corner with the Syagrus and Butiagrus, there's a heat lamp in there and I think it will stay above 32f in there.  

Bryan thanks for posting those pics!!

20211225_183409.jpg

Thanks it’s a pretty nice room. If you look closely at the windows there are lots of palm fronds  south facing aspect too. 

Since the weather forecast improved I did the pot thing as well on plants I didn’t get protected earlier, but I lined the insides with frost fabric. Still a couple tender thinks tomorrow but all they’ll get is the frost material over them. Forecast keeps looking better and better for me at least. 

2 hours ago, Collectorpalms said:

The HRRR Model is picking up on something bad for Portland area. Hope it doesnt pan out.... I also dont like the long term forecast gives me PTSD even for a light freeze here.

I hope your mistaken, but at least I’m ready. 

23 minutes ago, Hutch said:

Awesome Christmas tree Chester...same here 9...pm..no snow yet ! 38 still..

Thanks. Nothing happening here right bow, not even rain. I’d be happy to not get that heavy wet snow. Makes the palms look terrible. I guess it’s a waiting game at this point. 

Yesterday to this morning! 25f with 6” now and not looking like stopping. Lower temps coming. Gonna get a little crazy. 2 big fortunei On their own. 18f forecast should be ok I shake off the snow every couple hours to keep from weighing down. 

74039571-DB46-49DB-8E64-90AD1B0AABF9.jpeg

6F1E6D15-8BEF-404A-B8D8-BD84FB493B1E.jpeg

2C26D750-2633-42CD-BA4E-9927EC3307F9.jpeg

F522D6BE-283D-4CDB-9E2E-BA3D1CC31552.jpeg

02B410B0-E2E6-4DFF-8A2B-54BA6870E129.jpeg

Edited by NWpalms@206
  • Like 5

10 am, temps is now 33F, what a different going north, Bellinghams high today is only going to be 20F. Seattle is colder than me this time, But I may be colder than them by tomorrow morning or not!

31f.  5" of snow.  

Last night overall low 29.6F.  They forecasted 25.  

20211226_100415.jpg

20211226_100348.jpg

20211226_100326.jpg

20211226_100257.jpg

20211226_100216.jpg

20211226_100201.jpg

20211226_100144.jpg

20211226_100017.jpg

Edited by Jesse PNW
  • Like 6