• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pacific Northwest Arctic Outbreak?

Collectorpalms

Looks like a couple -10F events (at least)possible on there, what they call zone 6 weather around here.

Seriously those -20F dew points need to be watched because they can translate to lows of the same with

the right set up/timing, fresh snow, calm winds and a clear night.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Collectorpalms said:

Latest GFS model Run. Almost no changes for the last 54 hours since I posted this thread.

But the cold has now expanded deeper into California, Idaho, and Nevada. 

7ABA0E5A-6814-47C3-9A26-520615A12935.jpeg

Wow

Ya it looks dire ....im not sure what is going to happen things are all over the map...i take the worse case scenario ....looks like teens for 3 nights maybe....hey atleast is Christmas time...my son is head over heels for the snow ...i might need to have a few extra but...im a peace...what happens ...happens.

• Like 1

I’m not at peace I HATE snow and cold temps. 40 years was enough for me, I could care less if I ever see snow again. I spent the whole day protecting and boxing in palms. I see 4 nights in the teens right now but I am also worried about the heavy wet snow this weekend followed by the sunny and windy weather predicted after that will be devastating. Front yard is 99% done. Backyard to go. 

First time protecting palms so hopefully I didn’t screw it up. 

Edited by Chester B
  • Like 4

This will surly be an 8a winter for me. Will it be a cold or warm 8a? Stay tuned!  :o Very time I have an 8a winter I have dieback and spear pulls.  I will have it this time too.  4 days below freezing is pretty bad. :rant: They say 1.5" of snow in my area.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Paradise Found said:

This will surly be an 8a winter for me. Will it be a cold or warm 8a? Stay tuned!  :o Very time I have an 8a winter I have dieback and spear pulls.  I will have it this time too.  4 days below freezing is pretty bad. :rant: They say 1.5" of snow in my area.

They’re saying trace to 4” here this weekend but there is some more snow after that. I don’t want any spear damage or any damage. It takes too long to grow out of it.  I think I have one more days worth of work to keep protecting. Hopefully the big palms can deal with this. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Paradise Found said:

I hope you have photo to share when this all happens or just your protection set up!

Partway through

After dark

• Like 7

Bonus footage of my neighbors queen palm in ground and nicely protected. 

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, Chester B said:

I spent the whole day protecting and boxing in palms.

Just watched your latest videos (before you posted them here, hah). The protection looks beautiful at night, to be honest, and I am sure it will be effective as well. In Texas last winter (we're talking several days below zero and extreme lows of 4F for me), a lot of the palms you protected survived with less (e.g., no lights). It looks like you're not taking chances. In fact, from my vantage point, you're not protecting for survival, you are protecting against any cosmetic damage!
:P
In all seriousness, I don't want to dismiss the storm. Weather is unpredictable and you all got some nasty combo's coming your way. I know how it feels so I totally understand doing the max.  I hope this will peter out for you west-coasters and I surely hope won't reverberate into Texas somehow mid-January!

Yours following closely!

Oh, and don't forget to spear-spray with some fungicide beforehand!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Swolte said:

Just watched your latest videos (before you posted them here, hah). The protection looks beautiful at night, to be honest, and I am sure it will be effective as well. In Texas last winter (we're talking several days below zero and extreme lows of 4F for me), a lot of the palms you protected survived with less (e.g., no lights). It looks like you're not taking chances. In fact, from my vantage point, you're not protecting for survival, you are protecting against any cosmetic damage!
:P
In all seriousness, I don't want to dismiss the storm. Weather is unpredictable and you all got some nasty combo's coming your way. I know how it feels so I totally understand doing the max.  I hope this will peter out for you west-coasters and I surely hope won't reverberate into Texas somehow mid-January!

Yours following closely!

Oh, and don't forget to spear-spray with some fungicide beforehand!

Thanks for the kind words. I kind of feel that it may be a little overboard but they can really miss on the weather here, so who knows. Better safe than sorry. Most of these palms have been growing here for decades so they are tested but yes I do hate looking at damaged palms all summer. Plus what happened to everyone in Texas last year has left an impression on me. 

Thanks for the tip on the fungicide I hadn’t thought of doing that beforehand. I was planning on treating afterhand for sure but now I’m going to spray all my Trachys ahead of the cold. 

• Like 1

So many palms declined in Texas from defoliation, and we had our cold spell just at the very end of winter. I wouldnt take chances in a climate that is going to have several months of cool weather till they start growing again if damaged. Many complicated factors to your forecast. But if the confidence level is over 50% dont chance it. Eitherway its a beautiful yard. My soil ( oh and the salty killer city water) just doesnt afford me to grow those type of plants.

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Like 3

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

Well, The needle palm, the chamaerops, and cordylines  are all on their own. I ran out of blankets, darn it.  I don't do lights or boxes but they sure are pretty when done right. Nice Videos, Man!! yard is rocking. :shaka-2: Tomorrow in the rain have to wrap tarps over the lucky ones that got a comfy blanket.

I am looking at this as a hardy palm and exotic shrub experimental test for hardiness and comeback recovery.  I hope my dyckia's will be ok their in big pots against the side of the house. Aloe have a small popup greenhouse with a blanket over the top, this one I am curious will they do good when totally dry.  I've done all I can do just have to see what happens.. I did get the tree fern wrapped, it the most prized plant in my garden it is totally Irreplaceable because of it large size. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Collectorpalms said:

So many palms declined in Texas from defoliation, and we had our cold spell just at the very end of winter. I wouldnt take chances in a climate that is going to have several months of cool weather till they start growing again if damaged. Many complicated factors to your forecast. But if the confidence level is over 50% dont chance it. Eitherway its a beautiful yard. My soil ( oh and the salty killer city water) just doesnt afford me to grow those type of plants.

Is this coming our way? Is this kind of the same way the 2011 freeze started?

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

2 minutes ago, SailorBold said:

Is this coming our way? Is this kind of the same way the 2011 freeze started?

There was a sever freeze predicted for us last year, I saw -13C forecasted for me at one point but it fizzled out and went south instead. I only saw -5C and a wee bit of snow at my place. I think Oregon folks (@Chester B) dealt with some nasty freezing rain, but no extreme cold. The cold then went south and punished Texas. I hope for your sake it doesn’t happen again. But I don’t want it either! 

Everyone grab all your fans and point them north to send this air back where it belongs! 

• Like 2

Zone 8b, Csb (Warm-summer Mediterranean climate). 1,940 annual sunshine hours 
Annual lows-> 19/20: -5.0C, 20/21: -5.5C, 21/22: -8.3C, 22/23: -9.4C, 23/24: 1.1C (so far!)

If you look at the Historical weather maps of Feb 1, 1950, ( seattle coldest day i believe at 0F ) and the forecast weather pattern to develop soon, I wouldnt sleep well. It takes perfect conditions to break or come close to records, and not any one area or even In a town will have the same conditions. ( wind, snow cover, etc...)

but this is clearly a Pacific Northwest Arctic Outbreak that could easily send the coldest weather in a long time.

• Like 3

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

23 minutes ago, Collectorpalms said:

If you look at the Historical weather maps of Feb 1, 1950, ( seattle coldest day i believe at 0F ) and the forecast weather pattern to develop soon, I wouldnt sleep well. It takes perfect conditions to break or come close to records, and not any one area or even In a town will have the same conditions. ( wind, snow cover, etc...)

but this is clearly a Pacific Northwest Arctic Outbreak that could easily send the coldest weather in a long time.

I had my doubts about this from the beginning but now it turning into a major Artic Blast.  Its been 10 years since it has gotten this cold, last time it got down to 12F. So I am hopeful it will not get that cold this time.  I live on a hill and most of my garden is in a microclimate sheltered from most of the cold winds.  The stuff out in the open has made it before, so there is hope.

Cordyline 'torbay dazzler' is on it's own, just to big to protect and move. It is in a shelter spot so maybe that will save it.  The big tall green cordyline I will have to find something to wrap the bottom trunk up to 6'.  The top 10' will be open to the cold weather. :wacko:    Ch. radicalis is on it own too! I could go on but won't. Fingers are crossed. 

• Like 1

On 12/20/2021 at 5:59 PM, Collectorpalms said:

Uh huh….. NWS Seattle warning homeless and people without heat to expects 10s coming .

We're expecting it to bottom out in low to mid teens in Portland area... colder than average for sure, but technically right in the middle of our zone 8 minimum temp range.  Many winters we don't get much below zone 9 range.   Bringing in the potted palm babies for a few days!  

1 hour ago, ShadyDan said:

There was a sever freeze predicted for us last year, I saw -13C forecasted for me at one point but it fizzled out and went south instead. I only saw -5C and a wee bit of snow at my place. I think Oregon folks (@Chester B) dealt with some nasty freezing rain, but no extreme cold. The cold then went south and punished Texas. I hope for your sake it doesn’t happen again. But I don’t want it either! 

Everyone grab all your fans and point them north to send this air back where it belongs! 

Nanoose Bay BC, hard to get great resolution there so close to the water, but just inland here is the forecast. 

120EEA37-F93D-4018-847D-D38E661A8744.jpeg

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Paradise Found said:

I had my doubts about this from the beginning but now it turning into a major Artic Blast.  Its been 10 years since it has gotten this cold, last time it got down to 12F. So I am hopeful it will not get that cold this time.  I live on a hill and most of my garden is in a microclimate sheltered from most of the cold winds.  The stuff out in the open has made it before, so there is hope.

Cordyline 'torbay dazzler' is on it's own, just to big to protect and move. It is in a shelter spot so maybe that will save it.  The big tall green cordyline I will have to find something to wrap the bottom trunk up to 6'.  The top 10' will be open to the cold weather. :wacko:    Ch. radicalis is on it own too! I could go on but won't. Fingers are crossed. 

Yeah the Dracaenas and Cordylines are not really winter hardy here (in coldest winters), so protect and hope!  They do get big in the between years though! Good luck!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chester B said:

I’m not at peace I HATE snow and cold temps. 40 years was enough for me, I could care less if I ever see snow again. I spent the whole day protecting and boxing in palms. I see 4 nights in the teens right now but I am also worried about the heavy wet snow this weekend followed by the sunny and windy weather predicted after that will be devastating. Front yard is 99% done. Backyard to go. 

Yours should probably be just fine, from the sound of it, you've worked to protect them.  Mine are out in the breeze--except the babies in pots lol, they're coming into the living room yeah!  The garden plants, cacti & palms, are all on their own.  May the hardy survive!  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MarkbVet said:

Yeah the Dracaenas and Cordylines are not really winter hardy here (in coldest winters), so protect and hope!  They do get big in the between years though! Good luck!!!

They are root hardy here to 7b, my largest clump is 25 years old. Always grows back and like you said, can get big in between these cold winter.

well the bigger your plants, the harder it is to protect them, but they'll be hardier too!  Hang in there--  M

• Like 1

Just now, Paradise Found said:

They are root hardy here to 7b, my largest clump is 25 years old. Always grows back and like you said, can get big in between these cold winter.

Yeah the roots can survive--- but sucks having to start from scratch again.  Especially given how large some varieties can get if they just--didn't-- die--back.   ':-P

6 minutes ago, Paradise Found said:

Your torbay dazzler is a pretty plant; you could also try Yucca aliofolia 'variegated' variety, colors and patterns on leaves remind me a lot of the dazzler, but with stiffer/rigid leaves. It gets large/trunked and multibranched, and is rock solid hardy here, even in clay soil!   Mine is taller than I am, with 6-8 trunks, and won't be bothered at all by this weather.  But... I love me those cordylines too.  Good luck w/ your plants; interested to see how they do!   Fingers crossed...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Collectorpalms said:

Nanoose Bay BC, hard to get great resolution there so close to the water, but just inland here is the forecast. 

120EEA37-F93D-4018-847D-D38E661A8744.jpeg

Yea being next to the water makes things hard to predict reliably. I was much cooler (35C vs 40C inland) than predicted during the heat dome this summer, winter extremes are usually the same. During regular calm radiative frosts I’m pretty similar to inland areas (slightly warmer), but for outflow events the water really helps me stay significantly warmer. Last outflow I was 3-4C warmer… I’m sure there’s some science I don’t understand behind the difference in outflow vs radiative cold that I’m still wrapping my head around, but I’m still learning the intricacies of our climate.  Hoping the water is my my saving grace next week. 

Zone 8b, Csb (Warm-summer Mediterranean climate). 1,940 annual sunshine hours 
Annual lows-> 19/20: -5.0C, 20/21: -5.5C, 21/22: -8.3C, 22/23: -9.4C, 23/24: 1.1C (so far!)

7 minutes ago, MarkbVet said:

Your torbay dazzler is a pretty plant; you could also try Yucca aliofolia 'variegated' variety, colors and patterns on leaves remind me a lot of the dazzler, but with stiffer/rigid leaves. It gets large/trunked and multibranched, and is rock solid hardy here, even in clay soil!   Mine is taller than I am, with 6-8 trunks, and won't be bothered at all by this weather.  But... I love me those cordylines too.  Good luck w/ your plants; interested to see how they do!   Fingers crossed...

Thanks, I love the one you have it looks awesome and very exotic.  I am going to put the dazzler in the unheated greenhouse that has no doors. lol. My yucca blue boy is in an open courtyard it will surely die with no protection. 

Edited by Paradise Found
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Paradise Found said:

Thanks, I love the one you have it looks awesome and very exotic.  I am going to put the dazzler in the unheated greenhouse that has no doors. lol. My yucca blue boy is in an open courtyard it will mostly die with no protection. 

Great!  I thought the dazzler was too big to move/protect?  Sounds like  you can help it at least somewhat, which should help.  I've got 10-12 types of yuccas (that I can think of), and all should be ok with the weather.  I've found it easier to find cold/wet hardy yuccas than agaves, though I've got a variety of those too.  My giant agaves (A. americana and A. salmiana ferox, now known as Agave 'pseudoferox' Green Goblet) may get burned/damaged a bit.  They won't die, but they may get ugly, and rot some leaves after the freeze burn.  The upside is if it knocks them back a bit, they'll take longer to reach flowering stage (when they die), so there is that.  Gotta look at the bright side!  :innocent:

Geez this is a bit early for this type of weather; our worst is often January/early Feb... let's hope this isn't a harbinger of worse things to come.   The precipitation is needed after a long drought (and winter precip makes me not feel guilty if we have a long warm summer).  But at least let it be liquid not frozen! 

• Like 1

Bonus footage of my neighbors queen palm in ground and nicely protected. 

Queen palm eh?!   My, you ARE adventurous! Ah....it's not you lol. 

Edited by MarkbVet

It is to heavy but its only 6' away form the greenhouse and I will use a hand truck.  What you said change my mind. And I have help if I need it.  State holiday tomorrow.  (Friday)

I have Sal. var ferox but it variegated. I have it in a warm spot inside for winter. 

I've been wondering the same thing what is Jan. and Feb. going to be like?

I'm not freaking out about this, I have very calm feeling. 

Edited by Paradise Found

8 minutes ago, Paradise Found said:

It is to heavy but its only 6' away form the greenhouse and I will use a hand truck.  What you said change my mind. And I have help if I need it.  State holiday tomorrow.  (Friday)

I have Sal. var ferox but it variegated. I have it in a warm spot inside for winter. 

I've been wondering the same thing what is Jan. and Feb. going to be like?

I'm not freaking out about this, I have very calm feeling. 

Glad I could help...inspire you lol!   Yeah it is what it is, and we KNOW this area is gonna do this every 10-15 years at least.   Still better than in the past; we used to have really nasty ice storms that would break trees, power lines, etc and make roads a sheet of glass.   Since the 1980s they've mostly vanished, at least on the west side where I live.   Courtesy of climate change I suppose, but at least conditions are milder than they once were. 

• Like 1

The latest models suggest it won’t be anywhere near as bad as was being forecast 24 hours ago. Portland doesn’t look like it will go below about 20F now. Seattle shouldn’t go below 15F. A couple of days below freezing and some snow, but nothing too extreme, unless the models change again. Most of that extreme cold looks to be going east, rather than south now. 

3167E15D-E887-4389-B8F1-AE4AC709698F.png

• Like 2

Dry-summer Oceanic climate (9a)

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

10 hours ago, Chester B said:

Partway through

After dark

Chester...that is the most beautiful and effective short-term notice protection possible...I think you’ll see the fruits of your labor by spring. I’m really impressed! The bows on the boxes? Great idea...:laugh2:

• Like 1

Much better forecast here for Vashon/Seattle this morning. Last night was 6 days staying below freezing and the lowest of 12f. Now it’s 4 days and 16f lowest and back to mid 30s after that. 

• Like 1

It has backed off a lot for me too at the moment. 1 maybe 2 days below freezing. A few nights in the 20s. Nothing too scary, let’s hope this holds. 

I’m feeling all that work yesterday this morning though!  I’m still going to protect a couple of tender palms in the back and my tree fern though. 

Woke up to near 6" of snow this morning. Current temp 35°F / 1.5°C. We have a 40 mile drive today for Christmas commitments. Hopefully road crews are on top of conditions. :mellow2:

• Like 1

The other thing I was thinking about was we could have another cold event this year.  We only typically have one cold snap per year, and in my head I’ve been thinking if we get past this we’re in the clear. But this one is early so we still have another 6 weeks of being at risk. I decided that I’m keeping my protection on until late February. 

• Like 1

Just now, Las Palmas Norte said:

Woke up to near 6" of snow this morning. Current temp 35°F / 1.5°C. We have a 40 mile drive today for Christmas commitments. Hopefully road crews are on top of conditions. :mellow2:

Oh boy. We have terrible snow removal down here. 6”’shuts the city down for days. I guess it’s better up your way. 

• Like 1

Just now, Chester B said:

Oh boy. We have terrible snow removal down here. 6”’shuts the city down for days. I guess it’s better up your way. 

Main roads and highways get the lions share of attention.  Snow removal around town is hit and miss, more miss than hit.