• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pacific Northwest Arctic Outbreak?

Collectorpalms

6 minutes ago, Phyllostachys said:

@Paradise Found  What species is your king fern? Are you talking about Angiopteris evecta?!? :drool:

I don't have that one anymore, it needs are to tropical for it to grow here. I only grow Dicksonia A. and C. Atrox.  Atrox will go in the ground this spring and is hardy around 26f - 27F.  starts growing while temps are in the 50's.

Edited by Paradise Found

1 hour ago, SailorBold said:

How is your king fern doing?

Sorry Sailorbold I don't grow that one anymore, to tropical for me.  I thought you were referring to the big Dicksonia antarctia. 

Here is  pic from growing on the edge of a tree fern like mine, this one is a few ft taller but the same trunk width. and leaf spread 16 ft. 

dicksoniaantarctica.jpg

Edited by Paradise Found
  • Like 6

I am sounding the Alarm, its only 6pm and already 29F.  Clear skies now but lets hope for some cloud cover after midnight.  

Anyone else having temps drop fast?

51 minutes ago, Paradise Found said:

I am sounding the Alarm, its only 6pm and already 29F.  Clear skies now but lets hope for some cloud cover after midnight.  

Anyone else having temps drop fast?

What town are you in? Yes lots of thermometers are falling  due to the calm winds and according to satellite mostly clear till morning. But if you do not have fresh snow its not going to drop too bad.

My town is expected to be 80  for a high and drop to 30 tomorrow night. Welcome to 2022!

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Like 1

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

27 minutes ago, Collectorpalms said:

What town are you in? Yes lots of thermometers are falling  due to the calm winds and according to satellite mostly clear till morning. But if you do not have fresh snow its not going to drop too bad.

My town is expected to be 80  for a high and drop to 30 tomorrow night. Welcome to 2022!

Olympia WA the airport is alway 5 degrees colder than me, keep that in mind. I had fresh snow last night so ice box here. LOL!  Airport is saying 18F tonight,  already 26F at 7pm.  I've done all I can to protect so I'm cool. Yikes the airport is already 17F same time.  This would have to happen on the last freeze night. 

Edited by Paradise Found

5 minutes ago, Paradise Found said:

Olympia WA the airport is alway 5 degrees colder than me, keep that in mind. I had fresh snow last night so ice box here. LOL!  Airport is saying 18F tonight,  already 26F at 7pm.  I've done all I can to protect so I'm cool. 

lots of clouds are already moving into NW Washington. Will take a few more hours from Portland, or.

• Like 1

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

2 minutes ago, Collectorpalms said:

lots of clouds are already moving into NW Washington. Will take a few more hours from Portland, or.

That's what I though!  Thank Goodness! I don't what this to be the coldest night of the year, LOL! 

Happy New Years, everyone!!!

Edited by Paradise Found

Got snow again last night and was hovering right around freezing all day. Supposed to see 19F tonight and 18f tomorrow night gonna be cold tomorrow but after that we are back to low 40s in the day. Bye bye snow and ice thank god. 

7872F5B9-5564-4555-BD26-569AA3B974B1.jpeg

Edited by NWpalms@206
  • Like 2

24f, clear, temp started dropping before sundown.  18f forecasted but that incudes cloud cover coming in.   So far the weather man has been about 2degrees too extreme in each direction, each day.  I wonder if my Arenga engleri is holding up. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jesse PNW said:

24f, clear, temp started dropping before sundown.  18f forecasted but that incudes cloud cover coming in.   So far the weather man has been about 2degrees too extreme in each direction, each day.  I wonder if my Arenga engleri is holding up. 

24F right now too. 8pm. 

Not looking too bad from here tomorrow is above freezing daytime and then should thaw out. We’re loaded up inside and this isn’t even the greenhouse! I’m kinda glad nothing was in ground this winter but I’m running out of space quick. And of course bird of paradise on sale at Home Depot and I didn’t have one of those yet soooooo… had to make room. 

83BB5A32-409C-498E-9B82-BD8AC4C8183A.png

01FD6C06-DD6A-4776-ABF0-F9484C9C79F9.jpeg

E304BAD6-0E1C-4665-8A5D-6C8488352E24.jpeg

3DFAC046-528C-40E6-B14C-EF1933FD1732.jpeg

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Jesse PNW said:

@NWpalms@206 I love your indoor jungle.  I think you've got more plants than I do!  Looks like lots of interesting stuff too. 

The weather outside is frightful but my palms are so delightful!  ya I got a jungle going. Some good stuff for sure. Can probably play I spy if you zoom in lol.  come spring we got some serious planting to do. Greenhouse is loaded too. Few last minute drag ins, stuff in 15-25 gal I was ok with 2 days freeze but not a week. 

05D7C01B-C7FE-4D89-91CD-B297307A1DD7.jpeg

31CDED1D-69BB-4CC7-82E5-19C3A0B951AD.jpeg

E7E01A46-7EEA-4941-BF21-2C8DB438DCE0.jpeg

• Like 3

I got pretty scared for a sec, briefly dropped well below the forecasted low to -6.3C but heading back up now. Phew. Thank you clouds!

• Like 1

Zone 8b, Csb (Warm-summer Mediterranean climate). 1,940 annual sunshine hours 
Annual lows-> 19/20: -5.0C, 20/21: -5.5C, 21/22: -8.3C, 22/23: -9.4C, 23/24: 1.1C (so far!)

11 minutes ago, ShadyDan said:

I got pretty scared for a sec, briefly dropped well below the forecasted low to -6.3C but heading back up now. Phew. Thank you clouds!

Dan you already had your cold night, now its our turn. lol.  The clouds are coming here in a few hours or less, right now it says haze outside that better than clear.  I'm not worried about the plants yet. I want my Livistona chinensis to be evergreen this winter. It the most tender palm I have in the ground. 

Edited by Paradise Found

22 minutes ago, Paradise Found said:

Dan you already had your cold night, now its our turn. lol.  The clouds are coming here in a few hours or less, right now it says haze outside that better than clear.  I'm not worried about the plants yet. I want my Livistona chinensis to be evergreen this winter. It the most tender palm I have in the ground. 

That’s what I thought too, this little bit of cold came out of nowhere! Looking forward to the thaw beginning for us tomorrow. And they snow melting, because I’ve been too lazy to shovel anything. Hopefully the warm air is not far behind for you guys too. 

Should have a decent idea of what damage I’ll see with the snow gone and the thaw by Sunday/Monday. At least your Livistona should bounce back in the spring even if it gets defoliated. 

Sending warm vibes to y’all from up North! Happy New Years! 

• Like 2

Zone 8b, Csb (Warm-summer Mediterranean climate). 1,940 annual sunshine hours 
Annual lows-> 19/20: -5.0C, 20/21: -5.5C, 21/22: -8.3C, 22/23: -9.4C, 23/24: 1.1C (so far!)

18 minutes ago, ShadyDan said:

Sending warm vibes to y’all from up North! Happy New Years! 

Thanks, and Happy New Years!!!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Paradise Found said:

Thanks, and Happy New Years!!!

Well over at the Olympia, Wa airport at 203Ft elevation, raditational cooling has allowed it to drop to 7F at midnight, Jan 1, 2022!

52997BCA-61C2-4C1E-8BD9-3864BFC2C3B4.jpeg

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Like 1

Not surprising at all.  Midnight I have 21F Fog, and holding.  One time the airport was -2F and I had 14F.  The airport is only 10 miles away but I am in town and on a hill so come cold air drainage. It was a fun ride while it lasted but glad it going away. 

Edited by Paradise Found
  • Like 1

I was in the 20s since just after sundown. No clouds here at all, the weather apps say 22F but my thermometer seems to have died. Had to pull out an old thermometer it was reading 23-24F. Once we warm up after lunch that’s the end of it for me. I didn’t have it as bad as most of you, only two days failed to go above freezing, both at 30F.  The snow we got pretty much melted each day. I sure hope we don’t get another one of these this year. 

• Like 2

Half the night it was 19F.  clouds came in very late and temps rose to 23F, I am now 8b.  So long 2021 glad your gone.  Still lots of snow on the ground.  8am 27F.

Edited by Paradise Found

Turned in at 22:15, clear skies and temp was 25°F. Woke up this morning at 06:30, overcast and temp was 29°F. No new snow and forecasters are calling for a wind warning later (no snow).  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Las Palmas Norte said:

Turned in at 22:15, clear skies and temp was 25°F. Woke up this morning at 06:30, overcast and temp was 29°F. No new snow and forecasters are calling for a wind warning later (no snow).  

We’re getting those strong winds tomorrow as the warm weather arrives from the south. 46f/8C with a lot of rain and possible flooding. 

4 hours ago, Chester B said:

We’re getting those strong winds tomorrow as the warm weather arrives from the south. 46f/8C with a lot of rain and possible flooding. 

Gonna be nasty here with the rain & snow melt.

Edited by Las Palmas Norte
  • Like 1

I luck'd out last night clouds till about 6 am ...then cleared off and dropped quick...was 32 all night then dropped to 27...in about a hour and a half...but that was the low and I'm  fine with that no snow left down here...looks like a pattern flip mid jan!

• Like 1

This is interesting. 

https://www.washington.edu/news/2013/11/13/snow-melts-faster-under-trees-than-in-open-areas-in-mild-climates/ 

My neighbor's yard on the right, mine on the left.  I thought it was from the tree canopy acting as a thermal brake. 

20220103_153118.jpg

Edited by Jesse PNW
  • Like 4

hey @Hutch Remember when you said it's like your Phoenix canariensis makes its own heat?  You were right!  According to the article in the above post.  I'm trying to look more into this "long wave radiation" but big trees do give off their own heat.  That's great information for those of us trying to exploit microclimates. 

• Like 1

Cold damages so far from 4 days of below freezing with low of 17F:  

1: Filibusta wrapped with bedsheet and Christmas light.  The fronds are exposed to the snow.

2. Philodendron selloum - unprotected

3. Aloe striatula - unprotected buried in snow

PXL_20220104_210851364.jpg

PXL_20220104_212127601.jpg

PXL_20220104_210824227.jpg

• Like 4

@Trustandi I have the same three plants and I can say my Robusta looks totally fine, the P. selloum will definitely lose all the above ground foliage, and my Aloe so far looks good.  The Aloe I think might take some time to show damage if any occurred.  Trachycarpus latisectus does not look good for me either.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chester B said:

@Trustandi I have the same three plants and I can say my Robusta looks totally fine, the P. selloum will definitely lose all the above ground foliage, and my Aloe so far looks good.  The Aloe I think might take some time to show damage if any occurred.  Trachycarpus latisectus does not look good for me either.

T. lastisectus is to tender for me to grow.  Chester which aloe are you growing? 

Same one as above - Aloiampelos (Aloe) striatula.  I had an Aloe brevifolia but I didn't like the way it look so I removed it this past summer.  It took some damage the previous winter and didn't grow out of it as quickly as I would have liked. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Chester B said:

Same one as above - Aloiampelos (Aloe) striatula.  I had an Aloe brevifolia but I didn't like the way it look so I removed it this past summer.  It took some damage the previous winter and didn't grow out of it as quickly as I would have liked. 

Brevifolia is one of my favorites for me it doing good with overhead plastic protection to keep it dry. Last year mine grew right out of its damage, the smaller ones around the big mother plant, they die.  Grew new ones in the summer.  I haven't looked at it since covering them up, will tomorrow. 

Striatula is a good one and true hardiest in the PNW.

Edited by Paradise Found
  • Like 2

I had 3 small clumps of Striatula each at various heights on a small slope. Each were protected with some mulch heaped around them. It got down to 3F last winter. Only the one on top came back which reiterates the fact that we need to keep them as dry as possible in winters.

• Like 2

Yep...everytime it got just about freezing the CIDP shed its snow quick...and when the grass frost up the leaf s of the Canary are still wet ..

The aloes are looking so far so good, it to early to tell what the extent the damage will be if any. These are the one close to the house. Two testing are Nobilis and Brevifolia. low was 19, 22, 24, 27, 27,  5 day below freezing. inside shelter to keep dry and blanket over it.  Have to wait till april to see the real results.  I do have some exciting new aloes to try out this spring. 

Edited by Paradise Found
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Paradise Found said:

The aloes are looking so far so good, it to early to tell what the extent the damage will be if any. These are the one close to the house. Two testing are Nobilis and Brevifolia. low was 19, 22, 24, 27, 27,  5 day below freezing. inside shelter to keep dry and blanket over it.  Have to wait till april to see the real results.  I do have some exciting new aloes to try out this spring. 

Here are some picture of aloes that did good and bad. 

Brevifolia did the best close to the house were it was in  protected spot. The one gallon size one out in the open, dry spot, it died. 

Of course Aristata did the best with no damage at all. 

Aloe nobilis (last photo) did the worst and may or may not make it. Time will tell when it warms up in spring.  Today is mild and windy, cloudy. 

IMG-2723.thumb.JPG.3376fca2eacd8b1d6fd4854e4c8a51aa.JPG

IMG-2719.JPG

IMG-2727.JPG

IMG-2720.JPG

Edited by Paradise Found
  • Like 1

Here is the results of chameadorea radicalis did perfect took, cold and snow totally with out protection.  6" inches of snow and some protection from cold wind with surrounding palms and shrubs for protection. No damage at 19, 22, 24, 27 .27F. 

IMG-2551.JPG

IMG-2708.JPG