IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Likely Death of My Twenty Year Old Syagrus sancona

Jim in Los Altos

This morning, I cut the rotted top off the Syagrus sancona (Colombian Foxtail) that I originally planted as a tiny seedling twenty years ago. I cut in sections until I got to living tissue but, unfortunately it looks to be below the growing point. I can’t imagine what happened but the decline was sudden. No freezing temperatures, no known pests, and the palm was always thriving until now. This was a palm I didn’t expect to live three years let alone twenty despite my 10a zone. I thought it would need much more heat than my Bay Area climate has to offer. :(

EE77C722-3BF2-4C85-B275-5776447F9760.thumb.jpeg.41918f38ad4a7c4128cbce2c33e190b3.jpeg

95F50BBF-8AC5-45EE-B829-3F690FCA590F.thumb.jpeg.da2f9f39b3502f24a7e53fc73cd08613.jpeg

7905DC62-9E0B-4CF3-B926-35FD42861FBE.thumb.jpeg.4be213df4e802f29ed1a83df0c4f8139.jpeg

Edited by Jim in Los Altos

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Who knew i'd be a heart breaker? haha.. Lighthearted joke aside,  Total bummer Jim.  You considering trying another?

• Like 1

So sorry to hear that Jim, that was an amazing grow. I’ve always loved that species, but gave up after a couple attempts early on. I’ve got a few palms as well that shouldn’t be growing as well as they do here, and can understand the heartbreak of losing one of them after all the time I spent admiring them. Well done regardless..

Edited by quaman58
  • Like 1

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

21 hours ago, quaman58 said:

So sorry to hear that Jim, that was an amazing grow. I’ve always loved that species, but gave up after a couple attempts early on. I’ve got a few palms as well that shouldn’t be growing as well as they do here, and can understand the heartbreak of losing one of them after all the time I spent admiring them. Well done regardless..

It was the survivor of three seedlings and surprised me with its vigorous growth. Good genes perhaps. Same goes for a Wodyetia and Roystonea in my front yard growing reasonably well for seven years. Six previous unsuccessful tries with Wodyetia and three with Roystonea. It’s why I always try several marginal palms of a particular species instead of just one.  

• Upvote 1

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

22 hours ago, quaman58 said:

By the way, had it flowered before?

No, it never flowered. 

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Losing a special palm is a real body blow, but I always dwell on the pleasure it’s presence gave to the garden. I think about that and all is good. 

Tim

• Like 2

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Jim, do you have a photo in its former glory?

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.