IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

31 year anniversary of the 1989 freeze

Jimbean

Key West still hung on to zone 11 temps even it that!  19-20 degree low where I live :-( My Sabals would remain at least lol

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, D. Morrowii said:

Key West still hung on to zone 11 temps even it that!  19-20 degree low where I live :-( My Sabals would remain at least lol

I used to live on Merritt Island and talked to the old timers there.  They told me that it got down to 21 to 22 degrees there in December 1989.

Edited by Jimbean
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Brevard County, Fl

8 minutes ago, D. Morrowii said:

The official all-time low in Key West is 41F. 

Here's another link where we discussed the various freezes: https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/15208-looking-back-at-the-great-us-freezes/

Here were the readings at our airport for the 1989 Christmas Freeze:

https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/uploads/monthly_2020_10/image.png.549ed54ba56ea8be833a0394effb95e5.png

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

21 minutes ago, D. Morrowii said:

And also Port St. John was 19F and Christmas about two miles north of highway 50 it got down to 13F

• Upvote 2

Brevard County, Fl

3 hours ago, kinzyjr said:

The official all-time low in Key West is 41F. 

Here's another link where we discussed the various freezes: https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/15208-looking-back-at-the-great-us-freezes/

Here were the readings at our airport for the 1989 Christmas Freeze:

https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/uploads/monthly_2020_10/image.png.549ed54ba56ea8be833a0394effb95e5.png

The temps shown for the 22nd are't too far off from whats forecast for Wednesday night. Otherwise 4 solid days of temps that never rose above 60 and those 2 days during Christmas I imagine were devastating to quite a few gardens

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Well i imagine this is part of the reason why parts of NW FL look like central Alabama.

Edited by JLM
  • Upvote 1

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

You know some of the temps on that map aren't THAT bad, look at Tampa, that looks like a regular really bad year, but not a catastrophic one, same in Jacksonville, that's bad but not too far out of whack for a 9a area that has recorded single digits (other years in the 80's were worse for certain areas).  But boy the bad ones are baaaaaaad, teens all over central Florida, that is completely unthinkable to nearly everyone living there that came from somewhere else or were too young to remember '89.  and freezing temps all the way down to Miami and that 25 right on the southern tippy-tip! Were it not for Feb '21 in Texas I bet many people would say an outbreak like that in Florida is not likely again, well, just keep your fingers crossed.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

I remember it well still. What made 1989 bad was that it followed previous devastating freezes in 12/83 and 1/85. Many tropicals and palms that survived those 2 freezes couldn't take a 3rd freeze and died.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

When this happens in FL, the low temps stick around a while right?  Trying to relate to how it’s different from here in AZ.  My town hit 17F in 2007 but by late morning was back above 40F.  That doesn’t really happen in FL where it’s more humid and these events are advective rather than radiative, correct?

Edited by ahosey01
  • Upvote 1

I was just visiting Tampa and seemed notice more very old (at least pre-80's) queens and some other semi-tropicals than I did in Orlando. May correlate with the above map that interior Orlando got more the short end of the stick in this event and killed many of those species.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, ahosey01 said:

When this happens in FL, the low temps stick around a while right?  Trying to relate to how it’s different from here in AZ.  My town hit 17F in 2007 but by late morning was back above 40F.  That doesn’t really happen in FL where it’s more humid and these events are advective rather than radiative, correct?

The last deep freeze we had here it stayed at or below freezing for several days as the high, as I recall....but yeah, I'd say it typically climbs back similar to what you see.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/22/2021 at 9:16 AM, ahosey01 said:

The desert, where it's almost guaranteed to be sunny each day ,can rebound very quickly and also drop very quickly like in New Mexico 'cold' deserts where desert palms and cacti are given dubious ratings such as being sort of desert zone 5, 6 or 7 but the low temps are extremely brief and between dry and sunny days. 

But Florida is further south and it's usually dry when it's cold and in winter so it also rebounds very quickly. Looking at the map for this freeze, it doesn't look all advective per micro climates and urban areas. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/19/2021 at 1:41 PM, Jimbean said:

Here's an early Christmas present to the forum. 

1989 Freeze.gif

WOWZERS ! :sick: 

I guess the Everglades doesn't help any like lake O, the UHI and Biscayne bay, looking at that 25 degrees at what looks like that visitor center or a buoy. 

WPB airport (PBIA) recorded 28°F during this cold event. As I have demonstrated in the past, the locations close to the warm ocean extremely close to the Gulfstream/Florida Current low temperatures average 6F degrees greater than PBIA. Did it freeze in PB? I will never forget the steam coming off the ocean water! It was cold and windy but never saw frost and personally doubt a freezing temperature.

One gentleman I know who kept detailed records was out in the Glades in the “ lip of the lake” at Pahokee. He was an outstanding farmer, who faithfully kept records in his backyard on Lake Okeechobee and never recorded a freezing temperature and passed in 1996. This is the unique micro-climate that has been cited many times on this board. It is created by the jut of land to the immediate north that creates the lip to the south and mediates cold from the north because the air must travel over the relatively warm water of Lake Okeechobee.

Also, latitude and the warm Gulfstream/ Florida Current moderate cold air quickly in So Fl.

• Upvote 1

What you look for is what is looking