IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pindo and Trachy etc. in 'desert' garden Beaverton Oregon

MarkbVet

5 minutes ago, Trustandi said:

@MarkbVet sounds good. I would like to get some in Spring. I get some rooted aloe striatula if you would like. 

I wish I could take a peek at your gardens.  Hehehe.   

Sure--- yours grows unprotected from rain?   If so, I'd do a trade of the aloe for a ferox pup or two.

10 minutes ago, Chester B said:

Ok slow grower than.  Here's a video of my agave from July, its actually grown a fair amount since then and has produced even more pups.  I bought it from Xera at least 4 years back, and I kept it in a pot the first couple.  I decided to plant it out and this is it's third winter.  I am surprised at how well its done, I actually wasn't expecting it to survive.  I had some other unknown agaves that all perished so I wasn't expecting much.

It looks a lot like my hybrid--- I may have sharkskin and just forgot the hybrid origins lol.  Mine has absolutely no leaf damage though, and though similar in size to yours,  has only produced 2 offsets I think.  Maybe fewer leaves too...  gotta look at my prior picture again.  I noticed you planted yours right in front of your sotol, exactly as mine is positioned, go figure!   Hehe I thought the growth rate on my clinic ferox was pretty good, leaves sharkskin in the dust anyway.  but yeah, from baby to huge takes awhile.   The pic of my 'barely visible' hybrid is in the post i did called: Dasylirion and Nolina in my Beaverton Oregon garden

Edited by MarkbVet
  • Like 1

On 1/5/2022 at 5:45 PM, MarkbVet said:

In person would be fine too, as long as you let me peek at your garden in return!  Could do a trade, pup for pup also.  I thought I had sharkskin, hybrid plant from plantdelights  ( (they now renamed it "Sharkskin Shoes' as they realized the sharkskin moniker was for a different cultivar that they don't carry).  But I may not have it...  the sharkskin is  a hybrid of Agave nickelsiae x Agave asperrima, and i'm pretty sure what I have was a hybrid of some large agave x victoria-regina.  I'm sorry, due to the house fire, all my records are packed away, so I can't check what it is.  When I saw it at plantdelights years ago, I thought 'what the hell' and got one, thinking it would die, and it's lived for years, growing very slowly, but unique look-- very thick, very tough rigid leaves, and now has a few offsets even though the mother plant still ain't very big.  I think the hybrid I have is visible in the pic I posted of the blue Dasylirion, right in front of that sotol.  Does it look like yours?  Regardless,  if yours is winter hardy,  I'd do a trade!

Edited by MarkbVet

In person would be fine too, as long as you let me peek at your garden in return!  Could do a trade, pup for pup also.  I thought I had sharkskin, hybrid plant from plantdelights  ( (they now renamed it "Sharkskin Shoes' as they realized the sharkskin moniker was for a different cultivar that they don't carry).  But I may not have it...  the sharkskin is  a hybrid of Agave nickelsiae x Agave asperrima, and i'm pretty sure what I have was a hybrid of some large agave x victoria-regina.  I'm sorry, due to the house fire, all my records are packed away, so I can't check what it is.  When I saw it at plantdelights years ago, I thought 'what the hell' and got one, thinking it would die, and it's lived for years, growing very slowly, but unique look-- very thick, very tough rigid leaves, and now has a few offsets even though the mother plant still ain't very big.  I think the hybrid I have is visible in the pic I posted of the blue Dasylirion, right in front of that sotol.  Does it look like yours?  Regardless,  if yours is winter hardy,  I'd do a trade!

Edited by MarkbVet

On 1/5/2022 at 5:58 PM, Chester B said:

Ok slow grower than.  Here's a video of my agave from July, its actually grown a fair amount since then and has produced even more pups.  I bought it from Xera at least 4 years back, and I kept it in a pot the first couple.  I decided to plant it out and this is it's third winter.  I am surprised at how well its done, I actually wasn't expecting it to survive.  I had some other unknown agaves that all perished so I wasn't expecting much.

Ok, here's my agave hybrid, what do you think, same as your 'sharkskin'?  

Sharkskin agave.jpg

Edited by MarkbVet

I

Edited by MarkbVet

Sorry for the repeated posts-- my computer freaked out or somethin' 

Edited by MarkbVet

2 minutes ago, Chester B said:

@MarkbVet your agave doesn’t look exactly like mine. Narrower and pointier leaves. 

yep...similar though, and in person it's still the chunkiest and stiffest leaves of any agave I've grown...could be individual variation between plants, or... a different variety.  Hopefully will get my records back when I move back into the house; everything is stored right now.  Hope to move back in mid March or so,   therefore by the time we'd be doing plant swapping, I'll know what I have!   What do u think of the Medjool date palm, everything I'm seeing says hardy to zone 8b/15F.  That's the best of all the Phoenix palms as far as I know.  Doubt it's tolerate of cold wet winters though. 

4 minutes ago, MarkbVet said:

yep...similar though, and in person it's still the chunkiest and stiffest leaves of any agave I've grown...could be individual variation between plants, or... a different variety.  Hopefully will get my records back when I move back into the house; everything is stored right now.  Hope to move back in mid March or so,   therefore by the time we'd be doing plant swapping, I'll know what I have!   What do u think of the Medjool date palm, everything I'm seeing says hardy to zone 8b/15F.  That's the best of all the Phoenix palms as far as I know.  Doubt it's tolerate of cold wet winters though. 

I sent you a private message,but the medjool have 0% chance of surviving in our climate.  Far too wet not hot enough. I’ve literally grown dozens and they all died. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Chester B said:

I sent you a private message,but the medjool have 0% chance of surviving in our climate.  Far too wet not hot enough. I’ve literally grown dozens and they all died. 

Well, you're persistent, I'll give you that. 

On 1/4/2022 at 10:48 PM, Trustandi said:

I am jealous of your spikey garden, it is impressive. Do you protect your Agave salmiana? I lost my favorite Agave mr.ripple last year. 

What was labeled with me as salmiana ferox went unprotected* through a 'surprise' 18f a few days ago and, as you can see in the pic, damage seems minimal. Can't say the same for the americana.

You can also see it is having a pup. For some reason, I was under the impression they'd rarely pup but I guess I'll have to update my knowledge on that part.

On 1/4/2022 at 10:55 PM, MarkbVet said:

The salmiana var. ferox (now re-identified by Plantdelights as  Agave X pseudoferox “green goblet”

Hmmm, I did not know that, thanks. I am still confused as I have the 'green goblet' too and the S. v ferox looks very different (more fleshy leaves with a rubbery feel). I'll have to check where I got either and see if there may have been a labeling error somewhere. What I have labeled as 'Green Goblet' looks a lot like what @MarkbVet showed in his picture.

To be continued...

* (no overhead cover from other trees as well, though shielded from wind by nearby cedars and brush)

ferox.jpg

Edited by Swolte
grammar
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, MarkbVet said:

Well, you're persistent, I'll give you that. 

What can I say I like dates, and then I have all the pits leftover.  Can’t help myself.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Swolte said:

What was labeled with me as salmiana ferox went unprotected* through a 'surprise' 18f a few days ago and, as you can see in the pic, damage seems minimal. Can't say the same for the americana.

You can also see it is having a pup. For some reason, I was under the impression they'd rarely pup but I guess I'll have to update my knowledge on that part.

Hmmm, I did not know that, thanks. I am still confused as I have the 'green goblet' too and the S. v ferox looks very different (more fleshy leaves with a rubbery feel). I'll have to check where I got either and see if there may have been a labeling error somewhere. What I have labeled as 'Green Goblet' looks a lot like what @MarkbVet showed in his picture.

To be continued...

* (no overhead cover from other trees as well, though shielded from wind by nearby cedars and brush)

ferox.jpg

Yes, this plant is not the 'green goblet' as the teeth serrations on the sides of the leaves are way more prominent on your plant. Plantdelights has sold agaves resembling yours in the past, I don't recall what they were called.   In the past,  Plantdelights sold me the "green goblet' as A. salmiana var. ferox 'green goblet',   and now have decided they mis-identified those plants, hence changing it to 'Agave X pseudoferox Green Goblet".   So,  my plants are still 'green goblet' but not A. salmiana.    You may have my same green goblet plant,  AND you may have A. salmiana, which still exists (I just don't have one).   They likely resemble each other, as these 2 plants seem to (similar color etc)  which is why Plantdelights got them confused originally.  RE: pups,  I can't speak to your plant in the picture (A. salmiana?)  but my green goblet plant has pups like crazy!  

Thanks, I agree they are different! I just went outside with my headlights on to snap a picture of my 'Green Goblet' for comparison. I got my Goblet from the Peckerwood botanical garden (formerly the Yucca Do site, where this one was first introduced!). You are probably correct that the pic I shared earlier is indeed A. Salmiana. I got mine from TheCactusRoom on Etsy where it was listed as Agave Salmiana v Ferox. When examining pictures of Salmiana, I think that fits with what I have.

Not sure if some of our Agave experts @Tracy want to chime in here!

Goblet.jpg

Unfortunately I am not able to help.  I know a few common Agave species but have not delved much deeper  into them.  Your plants are attractive no matter the species.  I can understand wanting to get the id accurate so you can pass on the knowledge of which species and hybrids are successful in your climate.

• Like 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Hey I just realize I have a A. salmiana var. ferox mediopicta. Mine is hardy to 0-10F and has a bright yellow stripe down the center of each leaf. photo is mine and I don't think it grow as big??? Maybe 6'. When the sunlight hits it it is beautiful plant. I am growing in a tall container since not sure where to put plant in the ground.  Will look really good with silver looking foliage like chamaerop cert. 

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600-1.jpg

Edited by Paradise Found
  • Like 4

Correction: The photos are not mine, but from the net.  But my plant looks like that one.  Just not as yellow, but some yellow 'aurea' on the leaves. 

Here is another photo from S.M.G.  Only grows to 4' tall and 5' wide. 

Agave_salmiana_medio_picta.jpg

• Like 1

@MarkbVet it looks like I will have to get some agave pups from you. Cistus nursery just replied to my email; they don't grow or carry the agave protoamericana & Pseudoferox. I will send you the aloe in March. 

sounds good!   I'm hopefully moved back into my house by mid-late March, will be very busy around then, getting everything moved back in!  Also safest to do cuttings when warm/dry....  probably April would be good.   I've got some LARGE offsets that I've gotta get rid of or they're gonna push other plants out.   Harder to dig those up though... we'll see!     Mark

• Like 1

On 1/9/2022 at 6:22 PM, Swolte said:

Thanks, I agree they are different! I just went outside with my headlights on to snap a picture of my 'Green Goblet' for comparison. I got my Goblet from the Peckerwood botanical garden (formerly the Yucca Do site, where this one was first introduced!). You are probably correct that the pic I shared earlier is indeed A. Salmiana. I got mine from TheCactusRoom on Etsy where it was listed as Agave Salmiana v Ferox. When examining pictures of Salmiana, I think that fits with what I have.

Not sure if some of our Agave experts @Tracy want to chime in here!

Goblet.jpg

Yes this looks like Agave X 'pseudoferox' Green Goblet, which is what I have.  Sold by PlantDelights in the past.

On 1/10/2022 at 10:36 AM, Paradise Found said:

Hey I just realize I have a A. salmiana var. ferox mediopicta. Mine is hardy to 0-10F and has a bright yellow stripe down the center of each leaf. photo is mine and I don't think it grow as big??? Maybe 6'. When the sunlight hits it it is beautiful plant. I am growing in a tall container since not sure where to put plant in the ground.  Will look really good with silver looking foliage like chamaerop cert. 

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600-1.jpg

That's a great plant;  if/ when it has pups I'd trade you for my Green Goblet pups or A. americana Var. protoamericana pups!   In our wet climate I've not had as much success with any variegated Agave types, even A. parryi, as that color trait seems to be associated with less cold hardiness, at least when it's wet cold.  If your plant can take our winters unprotected, then I'm all in-- it's one of the most vividly colored variegated cultivars I've seen.  Beautiful.  If you plant it outdoors, provide great drainage, ideally sandy soil, elevated or sloped bed, south exposure, many hours of sun daily.  

On 1/15/2022 at 9:09 PM, MarkbVet said:

That's a great plant;  if/ when it has pups I'd trade you for my Green Goblet pups or A. americana Var. protoamericana pups!   In our wet climate I've not had as much success with any variegated Agave types, even A. parryi, as that color trait seems to be associated with less cold hardiness, at least when it's wet cold.  If your plant can take our winters unprotected, then I'm all in-- it's one of the most vividly colored variegated cultivars I've seen.  Beautiful.  If you plant it outdoors, provide great drainage, ideally sandy soil, elevated or sloped bed, south exposure, many hours of sun daily.  

I look at this agave everyday when passing by it and it is one of the most vivid agaves out there. Sure I will take if it pups. I have agave rum runner and it pups like crazy, mine still a little to small to pup. 

• Like 1