IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Nearby grower/seller of unique palms is moving, which should I buy up before he goes?

Gottagrowemall

I’m in 9b Flagler county very close to 9a but only a couple miles off the coast. I grew up here and remember temps below 30 Maybe once which lasts for an hour at longest. Most years our low is 35.

anyways here’s a list of some of the palms he has for sale that I am unsure about but don’t want to miss out on if they could survive here for awhile. If you’re interested in his palms his business is Ormond palm And botanical company.

solitaire palms

Montgomery palms

cabada palms

Mcgathur palm

royal palms 

ive already bought a couple Alexander’s, an alfreddii, and a maypan coconut from him. Just curious if any of those palms would be worth trying here and what their scientific names are also. Thanks for any help 

Edited by Gottagrowemall

1 hour ago, Gottagrowemall said:

solitaire palms

Montgomery palms

cabada palms

Mcgathur palm

royal palms 

ive already bought a couple Alexander’s, an alfreddii, and a maypan coconut from him. Just curious if any of those palms would be worth trying here and what their scientific names are also. Thanks for any help 

Solitaire palm = Ptychosperma elegans

Montgomery palm = Veitchia arecina

Cabada palm = Dypsis cabadae

McArthur palm = Ptychosperma macarthurii

Royal palm = Roystonea regia, oleracea, etc.

I think these are all rated for zone 10a except for Roystonea regia which should do well in 9b.  Comments I've seen regarding Dypsis cabadae not doing well in 9b SoCal might not apply for 9b Florida which is obviously different.

Edited by Fusca
  • Upvote 1

Jon Sunder

8 hours ago, Fusca said:

Solitaire palm = Ptychosperma elegans

Montgomery palm = Veitchia arecina

Cabada palm = Dypsis cabadae

McArthur palm = Ptychosperma macarthurii

Royal palm = Roystonea regia, oleracea, etc.

I think these are all rated for zone 10a except for Roystonea regia which should do well in 9b.  Comments I've seen regarding Dypsis cabadae not doing well in 9b SoCal might not apply for 9b Florida which is obviously different.

Thank you, I’ve never seen a royal for sale anywhere around my area but I’ve heard there are mature species as far north as Jacksonville so maybe I’ll go pick one up. 

If you are in 9a, then all of these are questionable even the royal. Yes there are a couple royals growing in Jacks but based on more knowledgeable people on here, it’s likely due to a nice microclimate. No harm in trying though.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, KDubU said:

If you are in 9a, then all of these are questionable even the royal. Yes there are a couple royals growing in Jacks but based on more knowledgeable people on here, it’s likely due to a nice microclimate. No harm in trying though.

this ^^^^

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

Dypsis Cabadae seems to be similar to Lutescens in cold hardiness, i.e. severely damaged by frost and temps in the upper 20s.  I am trying it here in the Sanford area, borderline 9b/9a.  If you get into the low 20s on a regular basis then it'll get killed to the ground...and might regrow.

I am also trying Ptychosperma Macarthurii here, and it did ok at 28F and frost last year as a 2' tall clump.  But it may have been protected from frost by nearby Philodendron and a 12-15' tall Asian Lemon bamboo.  It's probably also a "burn to the ground" type in the low 20s, and significant damage below 28.

• Upvote 1

Are you referring to Ganz Nursery in Ormond Beach?  If so he's a great guy.  Everything at his place has been through frost events so you know what will do fairly well for our area.  

Edited by Kekoanui
  • Upvote 1

On 12/19/2021 at 5:53 PM, Merlyn said:

Dypsis Cabadae seems to be similar to Lutescens in cold hardiness, i.e. severely damaged by frost and temps in the upper 20s.  I am trying it here in the Sanford area, borderline 9b/9a.  If you get into the low 20s on a regular basis then it'll get killed to the ground...and might regrow.

I am also trying Ptychosperma Macarthurii here, and it did ok at 28F and frost last year as a 2' tall clump.  But it may have been protected from frost by nearby Philodendron and a 12-15' tall Asian Lemon bamboo.  It's probably also a "burn to the ground" type in the low 20s, and significant damage below 28.

I’m like you, I have a lot of bamboo and cover plants where I could sneakily place them but I might pass for now. I’m glad you’re trying them though!

8 hours ago, Kekoanui said:

Are you referring to Ganz Nursery in Ormond Beach?  If so he's a great guy.  Everything at his place has been through frost events so you know what will do fairly well for our area.  

Yes the son. Not the senior, I’ve never been to the seniors place. I believe his is called big league garden center? His son is the one I’ve gotten most of my cool palms or any crown shafted palms