Sign in to follow this  
Arecaceae78743

Robusta Survives in Waco ???

Arecaceae78743

Yesterday I was on a trip to Dallas and on the way up I spotted some sort of Washingtonia behind a Hooters of all places just of the 35 in Waco. I didn’t have time to snap a picture, but sure-enough it was pushing green that was visible from the highway. 

I believe it’s a Robusta Hybrid from looking at google maps past years, but you make your own analysis 

https://www.google.com/maps/@31.510344,-97.1422238,3a,75y,312.74h,91.55t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s-rdviw3CVORwxs_MRJTvlA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Oh and there where also some W.filiferas and CIDPs that recovered nicely at Quality Inn & Suites Near University 

Blurry picture on the way back  <_<

972D1310-B241-4870-A38F-8930E3FBC6F2.jpeg.0f07151c71742d8612eafa21aa70d3ea.jpeg

Edited by Arecaceae78743
  • Like 1

Collectorpalms

That Washingtonia has been posted on here before. It is protected from arctic northerly winds and is stuck up against the building.

still it’s a surprise it’s alive. But I say by looking at the crown it was not weighted down by an inch of ice like the ones here,

I also saw a few palms recovering in Waco in May. But a lot of dead. Took lots of pictures. I may be back there before Christmas and may try checking them out.

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• DreaminAboutPalms
      By DreaminAboutPalms
      This Washingtonia hybrid seedling is about 9.5 months old and I noticed about a month ago how the trunk was starting to curve. This morning I was removing the oldest frond noticed that the boot ripped right off revealing what looks to be like the trunk rotting on bottom of one side, it’s all black.

not sure if this is from bugs, or if that spot just kept getting wet. Other than this the palm looks fine. Newest frond is steadily growing 

• UK_Palms
      By UK_Palms
      Apparently this has developed into a thing now in the UK. Well southern England anyway... just crazy...
      Ashley Road, Ryde

New Esplanade Court, Paignton

The White House / Cary Court, Torquay

The Earls Court pool CIDP is about 15-20 foot now, but it is dwarfed by the 30 foot Robusta. That CIDP will start putting on 3 foot of growth per year now though at that size, like the others. 

Splashdown Quaywest waterpark in Paignton has a lot of CIDP's growing there, which will be as big as some of the others I have posted in another decade or so...

North Ford Road, Dartmouth

Anyone got any photos of big CIDP's towering over pools? These UK ones are a work in progress still obviously. I know a lot of people are against the idea of growing CIDP's next to pools and having them tower over eventually like the ones in the first picture I posted. I know some people feel the same with Washies and many other big/tall palms. Personally, I love the look of it. 

• DreaminAboutPalms
      By DreaminAboutPalms
      https://www.nwestiowa.com/news/sibley-man-cuts-down-unlikely-palm-tree/article_6fc173c0-ecb8-11e9-81e5-efee02cc76e9.html

this man in Sibley Iowa (Zone 4) grew a Washingtonia to 20 feet tall by building a greenhouse over it in the winter time. Unfortunately he cut it down but still has a smaller second one