Dimimelbourne

Yellow and pale looking leaves on my Cyrtostachys renda

Dimimelbourne

After a close inspection, I’ve noticed some of my indoor palms are looking a little pale. My Cyrtostachys renda which was looking really good indoors until recently had started sporting these yellow splotches. 
I know I had a spider mite outbreak recently so I assumed it was down to that. When I look closer though, I am not so convinced spider mites are the only issue I’m facing here. 
Could this yellowing coupled with some brown tips be a fungal issue? 

45E1DDE6-20C2-4A91-8FC0-E2F43B940983.jpeg

4E8EF585-CBA4-4B3C-BFF4-CB81C93A4A35.jpeg

41FBBB09-4BC3-428C-B9FA-B9F19FC12B42.jpeg

6976891E-1889-417A-AA69-AF792005881F.jpeg

Dimimelbourne

Any suggestions?

Rickybobby

What’s your watering schedule like?

Dimimelbourne

I always keep it in a very shallow tray of water as these are semi aquatic. I only water it maybe once a week or whenever the shallow tray gets completely dry. I’ve done it like this for a long time and it’s never had any issues until recently. 

Rickybobby

From my experience keeping that palm indoors in semi aquatic will still rot the roots. Lack of air movement. Lack of heat and sunshine all together could be the issue. Have a root inspection and see what’s up. Palms in pots usually stay pretty wet on the bottom anyway so once that oxygen is consumed out of that water the roots suffer and die 

Dimimelbourne

I may have to ditch the water tray.  Just crazy how it’s always done so well until now. I have been home a lot less so I possibly missed something in regards to air flow or temperature at some stage. Thanks for your suggestion.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Dimimelbourne
      By Dimimelbourne
      It’s been getting slightly warmer here in Melbourne, so I thought I would take the opportunity and give some of my indoor palms a shower. 
      It’s been a pretty hectic year and I haven’t been as vigilant as I could have been. Unfortunately my C. Renda looks like it’s been a snack for some kind of pest over winter. I gave it a really good spray with the hose so I’m hoping that bumped most the pests off. I’ll try and do this more regularly now that it’s warmer. 
      I repotted my Licuala ramsayi earlier this year, it was in some very dry soil mix and when I took it out of the pot, all the media just fell away from the roots. I tried to pack in as much soil around the roots as possible but I think many of the roots weren’t able to get enough water. I lost most the leaves but it’s slowly growing back in which I’m so happy about.
      The Burretiokentia was given to me by a friend nursery owner. It had been on a steady decline since it got to them (probably the shock of coming into our temperate climate.)  I am hoping it’s going to start showing some signs of bouncing back now it’s getting warmer… or at least until I move to Cairns in 4weeks!
       I keep these tropical palms indoors in a heated room, they have large west facing frosted windows and my C. Renda usually sits in a small tray of water.
      Please feel free to share comments or experiences of your own on this :-) 

• Monocot49
      By Monocot49
      Been growing my favorite palm (C. Renda) indoors. I love seeing them put on new growth and how the new roots start to take on a red color as well. 

• PsyPalm
      By PsyPalm
      Hey guys!
      I bought a small (7") c. renda seedling from Hawaii about 10 months ago and have been trying to keep it happy here in my Seattle apartment.  It's definitely had some ups and downs but I finally have it in a setup that it actually seems to like and wanted to share it on here. It's been in this new pot and setup for approx. 4 months now and it's FINALLY starting to push out new growth.
      I have it potted in a 10" lechuza classico self watering planter.  It's planted in a homemade pon mixture composed of equal parts white pumice, black lava rock, red lava rock, (all of these 1/4" size), akadama, and zeolite.  I keep the reservoir in the planter constantly full with filtered water, and I take out the inner pot weekly to flush the substrate and rinse away any salt buildup.  Once monthly I'll replace the water in the reservoir and add a half strength dose of FloraGro 2-1-6 hydroponic nutrient solution.
      I've also added a 6" wide seedling heat mat to keep the root structure from getting too cold (winter in Seattle can be very tricky).  I basically wrapped/duct taped it around the inner lechuza container so it's warming the root structure and ran the power cord out the watering hole. (see picture)  I have it positioned next to my work desk with a mild red/blue grow light directly next to it.
      After a bumpy first 6 months it seems like she's finally happy, I'm noticing new leaf spikes on three of four trunks and they are coming in at a decent growth rate.  The red color is also starting to develop nicely on the largest trunk.  Anyway, just wanted to share my grow with you guys!  It's definitely my most intricate/experimental setup, I'll keep this thread updated with her progress over the coming year
      I always love to see how people are growing this palm indoors so please add pics and descriptions of what has/hasn't worked for those of you who have experience with it!  Thanks for looking
      Loch
      Seattle, WA

• Dimimelbourne
      By Dimimelbourne
      So I’ve had this beautiful palm for a few weeks now I think it’s doing really well.
       I bought it as a lipstick palm but multiple people have told me it’s more like to be a “Delight” form. Characterised by the orange crown shaft and bronze color of new emerging leaves. I have been keeping it in a shallow tray of water almost constantly and either have it outside in a sunny spot or inside by a big bright window if the temps drop below about 60f.
      It’s summer here in Melbourne so it will be interesting to see if it will survive the winter, even indoors but so far I’m really impressed. All the fronds seem super healthy and every stem seems to have a new emerging leaf. 
      I have heard this form of C Renda is more hardy in relation to temperatures but I am not sure I want to let my guard down and just leave it outside. Especially as we have a really volatile climate here in Melbourne.
      Just sharing some weekend appreciation
      Dimitri