IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

In depth analysis of the Athens Riviera climate and palm potential

southathens

Also I am thinking we should spam the heck out of this group to persuade a Kasos resident to plant cocos :P

• Upvote 2

How much are land plots in Kasos? I'm asking for a friend.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

previously known as ego

4 minutes ago, Victor G. said:

When I return to Greece permanently, I have set my mind to plant many mangoes in Dikastika.

And when I say I'll do it, I'll do it. All summer people were laughing at me when I said I will break the road to install underground piping (to water the plants automatically) and pour concrete on top. Until I did it. Took me 7 hours under the scorching July sun.

So I hope one day I can say the same things as this guy on FB. And of course, invite you all (for mangoes)

Yeah try it! But bear in mind that Voula has a much milder climate than Dikastika so you might need to put some extra effort!!!

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ego said:

How much are land plots in Kasos? I'm asking for a friend.

Hahah. I think Kasos must be the cheapest place in the Dodecanese to buy land 

Just now, Manos33 said:

Yeah try it! But bear in mind that Voula has a much milder climate than Dikastika so you might need to put some extra effort!!!

In Dikastika, summer never leaves! (maybe except for this winter). But let's see

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Manos33 said:

Also Voula has soil :D

• Upvote 1

previously known as ego

1 minute ago, Victor G. said:

@egoI see you liked the group too much! :P

In the boiling sticks the iron

• Upvote 1

previously known as ego

4 minutes ago, Manos33 said:

Hahah. I think Kasos must be the cheapest place in the Dodecanese to buy land 

As Konstantinos would say, for a reason.

previously known as ego

1 minute ago, ego said:

As Konstantinos would say, for a reason.

Yeah, because you can't actually find land on Kasos. Its an arid rock :P

9 minutes ago, Manos33 said:

Nevertheless Manos, I maintain the opinion that Dikastika has surprisingly mild climate, incomparable to the nearby places. I don't have the evidence to support that, as I'm keeping records since only two years. This is more of an opinion based on experience.

It could be of course that I'm wrong, but my gut says otherwise.

In a few years and after I've collected enough data, I will share them so we can see what's really happening.

I must say though the place made it very well through this harsh winter, if you exclude the snow on January (which didn't damage the plants)

1 minute ago, Victor G. said:

Nevertheless Manos, I maintain the opinion that Dikastika has surprisingly mild climate, incomparable to the nearby places. I don't have the evidence to support that, as I'm keeping records since only two years. This is more of an opinion based on experience.

It could be of course that I'm wrong, but my gut says otherwise.

In a few years and after I've collected enough data, I will share them so we can see what's really happening.

I must say though the place made it very well through this harsh winter, if you exclude the snow on January (which didn't damage the plants)

There is evidence. Inforest shows that Dikastika is 10a while the surrounding area, even to the south is 9b. So yes, it is warmer apparently.

previously known as ego

8 minutes ago, Victor G. said:

Nevertheless Manos, I maintain the opinion that Dikastika has surprisingly mild climate

Yes, I believe Dikastika is pretty mild but I think the area just south of you around the Shinias forest might be even milder. There is a hill or small mountain that seems to shelter this area pretty well. 

Edited by Manos33

4 minutes ago, ego said:

There is evidence. Inforest shows that Dikastika is 10a while the surrounding area, even to the south is 9b. So yes, it is warmer apparently.

True, but as good as inforest may be, I doubt that the actually could implement such a small microclimate in their algorithm. At least I guess so.

There's another evidence for me: look at the forecasts on windy.com and Poseidon. Check nearby locations as rafina, near makri, nea stryra, etc. Now check dikastika. I'll always be a bit higher (the Minimum). Just a tiny bit

1 minute ago, Manos33 said:

Yes, I believe Dikastika is pretty mild but I think the area just south of you around the Shinias forest might be even milder. There is a hill or small mountain that seems to shelter this area pretty well. 

Again from experience, whenever I drive the car, the temp always falls by 1-2C when passing the forest. I believe the opposite: it's colder than the surrounding areas.

There's also a weather station called Moraitis. It always has much lower readings that mine, or of nea makri

2 minutes ago, Victor G. said:

Again from experience, whenever I drive the car, the temp always falls by 1-2C when passing the forest. I believe the opposite: it's colder than the surrounding areas.

There's also a weather station called Moraitis. It always has much lower readings that mine, or of nea makri

I don't mean the forest per se. I mean the Shinias beach itself. The small mountain shelters it much better that it does Dikastika. You are much more exposed to the cold snaps from Evoia in my opinion. 

Edited by Manos33

3 minutes ago, Manos33 said:

I don't mean the forest per se. I mean the Shinias beach itself. The small mountain shelters it much better that it does Dikastika. You are much more exposed to the cold snaps from Evoia in my opinion. 

Ah okay I know exactly which location you mean now. Could be, yeah. Could even be that's it's sheltered that good that it's almost 10b.

Unfortunately there isn't a weather station there, so we can't have data to compare.

Tell you what: I'll plant mangoes and papayas in both places and we'll see which will have the minimal damage. That way everybody wins

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Victor G. said:

Ah okay I know exactly which location you mean now. Could be, yeah. Could even be that's it's sheltered that good that it's almost 10b.

Unfortunately there isn't a weather station there, so we can't have data to compare.

Tell you what: I'll plant mangoes and papayas in both places and we'll see which will have the minimal damage. That way everybody wins

It's a protected Natura park! :D

previously known as ego

4 minutes ago, Victor G. said:

My boyfriend has a summer house in Marathonas (which we hardly ever visit but that's a story for another time). I remember distinctly that when we go for swimming in Shinias beach its always higher than Marathonas by 1-2C. The small land strip just south of that mountain/hill at the edge of the Shinias beach must have the most favourable climate in the area.

7 hours ago, Manos33 said:

My boyfriend has a summer house in Marathonas (which we hardly ever visit but that's a story for another time). I remember distinctly that when we go for swimming in Shinias beach its always higher than Marathonas by 1-2C. The small land strip just south of that mountain/hill at the edge of the Shinias beach must have the most favourable climate in the area.

Κυνόσουρα peninsula?

previously known as ego

23 minutes ago, ego said:

Κυνόσουρα peninsula?

Νο just before Κυνόσουρα between Shinias beach and the parking 

8 hours ago, Manos33 said:

I remember distinctly that when we go for swimming in Shinias beach its always higher than Marathonas by 1-2C.

Marathonas is relatively cold in winter!

It's not uncommon for the temperature there to drop below freezing, while along the coast it could be 2-3C. We've been living in Dikastika for a year now (not consecutively, it was two long summers) and I've been watching how the clouds move. I believe there is a constant air current from the mountains to the beach, just like in the photo. I've counted many times that we were in Nea Makri or Marathonas (we drive every 2-3 days there for supermarket) and it was raining or with heavy clouds. Even in the summer (nea makri is very rainy in the summer). When we got back to Dikastika - sunshine, and the rain never came.

That is something you can also see from the vegetation. Nea Makri and Marathonas have a lot of green with tall trees while Dikastika is small bushes that require very little water. It has of course to do with the soil too, but it's not like Nea Makri has it perfect.

So this air draft is what I believe brings such low temperatures there. On the other hand Marathonas is much hotter that Dikastika in the summer (we almost never exceed 32-33C)

IMG_20220324_085031.jpg

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ego said:

28% humidity here right now. Just 400m from the sea. 

23% in Dikastika! But it will rise again quickly.

I had average humidity in January 70%

I have hanged a sheet next to my indoor plants and I keep it wet so the evaporation increases humidity in the room. Quite unsightly but does the job. With the sheet humidity is 50%. Without it falls below 40%.

previously known as ego

Άσχετο. Αν κάποιος θέλει να παραγγείλει από canarius, πείτε μου να παραγγείλουμε μαζί. Έχουν 150 ευρώ ελάχιστη παραγγελία δυστυχώς. Έχουν κάποια είδη που δε βρίσκω αλλού.

previously known as ego

1 hour ago, ego said:

Άσχετο. Αν κάποιος θέλει να παραγγείλει από canarius, πείτε μου να παραγγείλουμε μαζί. Έχουν 150 ευρώ ελάχιστη παραγγελία δυστυχώς. Έχουν κάποια είδη που δε βρίσκω αλλού.

Θα το τσεκαρω αν και παίζει να πάω μόνο Ρόδο το Πάσχα και να μην έρθω Αθήνα δυστυχώς.

Προσπαθώ να κανονίσω αυτές τις μέρες και ψάχνω και εισιτήρια.

Αν βρω, ίσως πάρω κι εγώ κάτι ψιλό από εκεί. Αν βρεθεί κάποιος άλλος όμως να πάρει, μην με περιμένεις

• Like 1

Are these Robustas? 

1113705583_Screenshot2022-03-25at3_56_23AM.png.84db1accf669fc1264935da9be59af4b.png

I hope you guys like this infographic!!!

963360743_AthensHeatFacts.png.c359bf238b5fb7df1ea8702b6b9e0e60.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Manos33 said:

You'd make a passionate meteorologist. Dunno about the trees, I still can't tell a livistona from a washingtonia... let alone filifera from robusta etc. For some reason I'm not into fan palms.

• Upvote 1

previously known as ego

Btw is that website, freemeteo.gr any good? It gives some hard to believe numbers, such as -7 in Rafina in 2017...

previously known as ego

4 hours ago, Manos33 said:

Hard to tell from the picture, whether they are pure robusta or filibusta with a dominant look of robusta.

58 minutes ago, Phoenikakias said:

Hard to tell from the picture, whether they are pure robusta or filibusta with a dominant look of robusta.

I think they are more robusta like

Edited by Manos33

1 hour ago, Manos33 said:

I think they are more robusta like

Actually no objection, it is just that in horticulture hybrids are more than pure specimens.

• Upvote 1

23% humidity. God save us. I was looking forward to warmer temperatures so I could take my tropical hibiscus, my croton, kentia and Ficus out but now I'm worried they will become bone dry

previously known as ego

2 minutes ago, ego said:

23% humidity. God save us. I was looking forward to warmer temperatures so I could take my tropical hibiscus, my croton, kentia and Ficus out but now I'm worried they will become bone dry

I need to move my station further away from concrete. It's registering 24,8C and 18% humidity at the moment

41 minutes ago, Victor G. said:

I need to move my station further away from concrete. It's registering 24,8C and 18% humidity at the moment

It's a hot and dry day throughout Greece today. In Attica the warmest area so far is the Elefsina area and Nea Smyrni with around 23C

Locally in the rest of the country over 25C in some NOA stations 

Edited by Manos33

4 minutes ago, Manos33 said:

It's a hot and dry day throughout Greece today. In Attica the warmest area so far is the Elefsina area and Nea Smyrni with around 23C

Locally in the rest of the country over 25C in some NOA stations 

Yeah but I don't think it's 25C in Dikastika. The station is just situated badly. I'm hoping to come during Easter to move it and do some other stuff there as well. If not Easter, then a bit afterwards.

At this rate, I will break the record of 48C this summer (pause for laughs)

• Upvote 1

18%. There is not one good day for tropical plants in this country :rolleyes:

previously known as ego

Well it was hot day for March today. Its not like we have everyday so low humidities. Locally Attica managed up to 24C in the Elefsina area today due to the Foehn winds which are particularly dry...In fact Elefsina Airport today was down to 15% at some point

Edited by Manos33
  • Like 1