IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

In depth analysis of the Athens Riviera climate and palm potential

southathens

4 minutes ago, ego said:

It's def a cocos, the yellow variety! No other palm has yellow-orange stems

Canary has!

Especially the old stems

Just now, Victor G. said:

Canary has!

Especially the old stems

True but looks totally different

previously known as ego

3 minutes ago, ego said:

True but looks totally different

Yeah I agree but wait to see pictures first

Might be a canary after all

I knew it from his first post about his friend in Ierapetra that it was Aprils fool. :P

Btw you guys crack me up with the cocos manifera lol 

Edited by Manos33
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Phoenikakias said:

Not in the extent of the dry 2021 nonetheless.

Yes, last year was hellish. I lost count how many days in June, July, and August Athens recorded over 40's.

Here is the Filothei Davis which registered the highest T in Athens last August with 46.1C just look at how many days it was over 40C and before that 40s in July and again more in June... 13 days in total over 40C

Even the nearby to my house Davis station in Glyfada reached 45.2C 

1252320688_Screenshot2022-04-01at11_35_45PM.thumb.png.7b62a77a1d5240d61d1ed914d93e490b.png

Screenshot 2022-04-01 at 11.41.13 PM.png

Screenshot 2022-04-01 at 11.41.46 PM.png

Edited by Manos33

Sorry for being off topic. I wanna ask a question. My area is literally covered in pine pollen these days. Everything has turned yellow. Plants leaves have been covered. I have been told that pollen can damage other plants or that they dry faster. Is it true? Should I put my tropicals back indoors?

previously known as ego

2 hours ago, ego said:

Sorry for being off topic. I wanna ask a question. My area is literally covered in pine pollen these days. Everything has turned yellow. Plants leaves have been covered. I have been told that pollen can damage other plants or that they dry faster. Is it true? Should I put my tropicals back indoors?

I do not think so. My Chamaedorea collection ie always covered with pine pollen this time of the year (as understory plants in habitat they should enjoy also here some kind of canopy and guess the most comon montane tree in southern Attica lol) and I have not yet observed any negative efffect. Besides Sabal spp love as backfill male pine flowers.

1 hour ago, Phoenikakias said:

I do not think so. My Chamaedorea collection ie always covered with pine pollen this time of the year (as understory plants in habitat they should enjoy also here some kind of canopy and guess the most comon montane tree in southern Attica lol) and I have not yet observed any negative efffect. Besides Sabal spp love as backfill male pine flowers.

Good to know. Should I open a thread especially for Greek subjects btw? Where people who live in our kind of environment can discuss Mediterranean subjects? 

previously known as ego

4 minutes ago, ego said:

Good to know. Should I open a thread especially for Greek subjects btw? Where people who live in our kind of environment can discuss Mediterranean subjects? 

There is a greek forum, but it's more oriented towards weather rather than plants. Also the people there LOVE winter and snow, which personally I find disgusting.

Anyways, we've opened a thread for tropical plants and climate there (biktoras1995 is me)

https://weather-club.gr/main/index.php?/topic/423-στατιστικά-και-τροπικές-καλλιέργειες-που-μπορούμε-να-φτάσουμε-το-ελληνικό-κλίμα-στο-όρια-του/page/2/#comment-300799

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

March's maximum temperature deviation from mean values 2010-2019.

Can we safely say it was a freezing March?

tmax_dev_mar2022.jpg

It is officially the third coldest March for Athens from 1890

4 hours ago, Victor G. said:

There is a greek forum, but it's more oriented towards weather rather than plants. Also the people there LOVE winter and snow, which personally I find disgusting.

Yeah but I always make sure that I galvanise heat lovers in Greece. Ok we are a minority but a strong one! Around 20-30% . Greeks are predominantly snow and winter lovers I think mostly as a collective desire to have what you don't get much in Greece...which is winter vs endless Greek scorching summers. 

And to remain on topic for us heat lovers below you can find Greece's heat records per month (I posted them also on the Greek forum). Note that Greece has 9 out of 12 monthly European heat records. Spain has 4 (two are shared with Greece) and Portugal has one.

1581363209_Screenshot2022-04-02at9_07_25PM.thumb.png.0397f18efbb24d8eff5e3a123b54dcef.png

Edited by Manos33
  • Like 1

I never said I'm a heat lover lol. I want mild temperatures. Basically I like any weather my plants like. Warm but not hot and humid. Won't happen. 

Btw guys let's arrange a meeting some day. 

previously known as ego

19 minutes ago, ego said:

I never said I'm a heat lover lol. I want mild temperatures. Basically I like any weather my plants like. Warm but not hot and humid. Won't happen. 

Anything under 40C is just not worth it.

Oh I happen to be in Athens or Dikastika I'm in!

It's looking more and more difficult coming in Easter though (unless tickets suddenly become cheap). Maybe beginning of May then for a weekend

• Upvote 1

On 3/28/2022 at 3:16 PM, ego said:

Στο Μαραθώνα όμως τα αρεκάστρουμ τα έπαιξαν αυτό το χειμώνα παρόλο που ήταν πιο μεγάλα. Αρκετά στο Ναύπλιο επίσης. 

Παρεμπιπτόντως τι ξέρουμε για rhapis multifida? Πολύ όμορφος φοίνικας και υποτίθεται ότι αντέχει το 

I use Rhapis in my garden for creating a hedge. Canes are now over 2m tall. 

20220402_222210.thumb.jpg.a007c86584b839fc617b3aab52c405cb.jpg

42 minutes ago, ego said:

It's ok I give u 2 more months of  reading my posts before u become a hard core heat lover :P

I am in for a meeting in Athens but given I work 3 different jobs and also having to balance time for my boyfriend, budgeting for time becomes a challenge.  Also by the end of April I will be a dad!!!!Oh yeah! So my life is kinda hectic right now, maybe around the summer would be better?

We will arrange it for whenever we have time. Mano, wow, 3 jobs?? When do you sleep? I hope all goes well with the pregnancy and you be a proud dad soon! 

previously known as ego

Just now, ego said:

We will arrange it for whenever we have time. Mano, wow, 3 jobs?? When do you sleep? I hope all goes well with the pregnancy and you be a proud dad soon! 

One day job, two remote jobs. It's a difficult task! The pregnancy so far is going great!Thanks!!!

17 minutes ago, Phoenikakias said:

I use Rhapis in my garden for creating a hedge. Canes are now over 2m tall. 

20220402_222210.thumb.jpg.a007c86584b839fc617b3aab52c405cb.jpg

Is this multifida or excelsa? If it's 2 m tall and you started from seeds (?) these must be quite old. 

Which supplied do you buy rare palms like this in Greece? 

previously known as ego

8 hours ago, ego said:

Is this multifida or excelsa? If it's 2 m tall and you started from seeds (?) these must be quite old. 

Which supplied do you buy rare palms like this in Greece? 

If multifida is synonym to humilis, then the big clump is multifida.  The lower one in same picture is excelsa.  Both clumps originate from transplants of  small cane. They are not very slow in our climate. Antemisaris has right now a big stock of humilis and excelsa.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ego said:

More like this one I think: 

Ha, ha, ha spot on!  BTW you have adjusted perfectly the location info in your profile!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Phoenikakias said:

Ha, ha, ha spot on!  BTW you have adjusted perfectly the location info in your profile!

Well, according to inforest which, like the Pope, is never wrong, the border between 9b/10a is next to my house. I hope to move to a "proper" 10a soon. I know, it won't be real 10a still...

I don't think we will ever find out about the Aegean cocos anyway, if Manos has 3 jobs and awaiting a baby hahaha.

Edited by ego

previously known as ego

13 minutes ago, ego said:

Well, according to inforest which, like the Pope, is never wrong, the border between 9b/10a is next to my house. I hope to move to a "proper" 10a soon. I know, it won't be real 10a still...

I don't think we will ever find out about the Aegean cocos anyway, if Manos has 3 jobs and awaiting a baby hahaha.

Have you found a place or are you still torn between the beauty of Oropos and the mildness of Loutsa?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Victor G. said:

Have you found a place or are you still torn between the beauty of Oropos and the mildness of Loutsa?

Finding a place to buy in Greece is not a quick process. Estate agents who don't have the site plan, owners who suddenly ask for more money... etc

I'm still waiting. I'd choose Loutsa any time btw :)

previously known as ego

3 minutes ago, ego said:

Estate agents who don't have the site plan, owners who suddenly ask for more money.

I bet you wouldn't have these problems in Kasos :yay:

16 minutes ago, ego said:

Finding a place to buy in Greece is not a quick process. Estate agents who don't have the site plan, owners who suddenly ask for more money... etc

I'm still waiting. I'd choose Loutsa any time btw :)

Think of the bright side. There are people who spend a fortune to buy an apartment in Monaco , which has a very mild winter climate and then they find themselves in this odd situation like 1985 and of course there is not money back guarantee:floor:

FB_IMG_1648977682946.thumb.jpg.4f1c9b4f46bd1822a10b1d734eced0c8.jpgFB_IMG_1648977691537.thumb.jpg.0d67bf266ed88b2d0f776d2beb43f43d.jpgFB_IMG_1648977701527.thumb.jpg.d0efbd14465a63c5f7975e6425df3926.jpgFB_IMG_1648977707724.thumb.jpg.29a357a4f5f0cf0865faba99a32f0ec0.jpgFB_IMG_1648977714408.thumb.jpg.179656506daf76e6fa5709a02b3cc38e.jpgFB_IMG_1648977719977.thumb.jpg.14150ea967f0c92245ea09042cb1f7bd.jpg

FB_IMG_1648977730173.jpg

Edited by Phoenikakias

21 minutes ago, Victor G. said:

I bet you wouldn't have these problems in Kasos :yay:

Just checked... 800 sq.m. in Fry, inside city limits, 28.000 euro. That's cheap!

previously known as ego

2 minutes ago, ego said:

Just checked... 800 sq.m. in Fry, inside city limits, 28.000 euro. That's cheap!

"City" limits!? With 335 inhabitants (2001 census though) it hardly classifies as a village!

1 minute ago, Victor G. said:

"City" limits!? With 335 inhabitants (2001 census though) it hardly classifies as a village!

It's a technical term. And the 335 people in total are the reason why I'm not going :sleep:

previously known as ego

3 minutes ago, ego said:

It's a technical term. And the 335 people in total are the reason why I'm not going :sleep:

No, you got it all wrong. 335 people only in Fry.
The island has over 1000 inhabitants in total (1084 to be exact).

Anyway, I've been looking at it in TRIPinVIEW and it really looks amazing!

• Like 1

On an unrelated topic, Berlin is experiencing extremely mild winters in the last years (last year being an exception when it got down to -16 I think).
Check out the temperatures for winters 2020 and 2022 (especially the absolute low temperatures).

Crazy for an inland city sitting at 52 degrees latitude with oceanic climate.

I've talked to some Germans and Greeks that are living here for a long time and 10-15 years ago, nobody would believe these temperatures (especially the mean high temperatures)

Καταγραφή.PNG

Καταγραφή1.PNG

Edited by Victor G.

5 hours ago, Victor G. said:

No, you got it all wrong. 335 people only in Fry.
The island has over 1000 inhabitants in total (1084 to be exact).

Anyway, I've been looking at it in TRIPinVIEW and it really looks amazing!

Btw I think the correct spelling in English is Fri

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

@Manos33 Manos my friend I've saw that Greek Forum from above (thanks to Google Translate) and I have to clarify something, keep in mind that the Málaga coconut is not located in Málaga but in a milder area called Rincón de La Victoria, also keep in mind the Wikipedia article has the 1981-2010 Málaga Airport averages, as you know (as it happens with Rhodes or Thessaloniki) the airport is far from representing the city itself, moreso when it's in Churriana, a smaller town SW of Málaga that is much less protected than Málaga itself. 

Here you have the Infoclimat averages of Puerto de Málaga, which is much more protected than the airport and influenced by the UHI from Málaga. Keep in mind this also comes from an official AEMET / WMO station as Málaga Puerto is a station you can find in the website of AEMET, but it's always much milder than the airport, as expected: 

http://www.aemet.es/es/eltiempo/observacion/ultimosdatos?k=and&l=6172O&w=0&datos=img&x=h24&f=temperatura

Here you have the 1999-2021 averages from Puerto de Málaga, they say it's 1981-2010 but it's not (if you manually search the data you'll see it's 1999-2021) 
https://www.infoclimat.fr/climatologie/normales-records/1981-2010/malaga-puerto/valeurs/08479.html

As you can see the Dec-Jan-Feb high average is 18.43ºC at the port, 18.83ºC if we make it a Quarter and if we include March. 
All of the record lows are wrong/missing so as you can see it's plain 0,0 in all of the 12 months. The high ones are on spot as they show data from 2002 to 2021.

Just today the Airport had a low of 7.5ºC and the Port had a low of 9.8ºC (both official AEMET stations) as you can see in the AEMET link from above.
In fact, Rincón de La Victoria, where the coconut is located, had a a low of 11.4ºC thus being 4ºC warmer than Málaga Airport and 1.6ºC warmer than the Port!
http://www.aemet.es/es/eltiempo/observacion/ultimosdatos?k=and&l=6175X&w=0&datos=img&x=h24&f=temperatura

I live in Altea, Spain 38°34'N 0º03'O. USDA zone 11a. Coastal microclimate sheltered by mountains. 
The coconuts shown in my avatar are from the Canary Islands, Spain ! :)

28 minutes ago, Manos33 said:

Btw I think the correct spelling in English is Fri

True. I spelled it with y cos it comes from the word frydi > fry'i > fry. But then it will sound like [frai]

• Like 1

previously known as ego