IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What is wrong with my foxtail palm?

agt

Do you ever feed that poor thing? If not, get some palm specific fertilizer to it asap. 

• Like 2

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

2 hours ago, Jim in Los Altos said:

Do you ever feed that poor thing? If not, get some palm specific fertilizer to it asap. 

I don’t. I’ll get some asap

18 hours ago, agt said:

C100E559-9B90-4EDF-A5D2-EBF1D57454F2.jpeg

I would like to make a citizen arrest.  LOL.  Looks like some soil is missing from the pot as well.  How long has is been in there?  Are you able to plant it out or possible upsize the planter?  They are very hardy down here so you should be able to turn it around, Best of luck.

• Like 1

Wodyetias are pitifully hungry for fertilizer, water and decent potting soil. That one has been neglected for months to the point of plant abuse. The chances of you bringing it back before you fly north in the spring are nil to none. I suggest you trash it and buy a new one. Foxtails are cheaper than dirt and twice as common.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Looks like it’s got an “everything deficiency”.  The kind of plant you see on the throw-out rack at the nursery.    If you want a strong plant, a do-over is in order.   These are happy, but hungry palms in South Florida.   

But there is something rewarding about taking something like that and turning it around.  I’d hit it with Palm Gain, liquid chelated iron, a Miracle Gro watering can single, water it, and move it to a not-too-sunny spot til it greens up.   It will likely respond well if you can keep caring for it.   

Edited by Looking Glass
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

These palms go south bad without fertilizer. The current fronds will probably stay like that, future fronds will look good if you properly fertilize.

Rare Golden Foxtail! Whew those would be somethin'

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)