IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Looking for Mule Palms

azjim66

Hi Everyone!

I just joined after finding this site. What a great resource.  I live in Peoria and just built a new house so we have a tree less back yard.  I am very interested in the Mule palm. I have see some huge ones at Moon Valley but those are wayy too pricey for me.  My last house I had great success with Queens and Pigmy's all from Costco and they all grew pretty fast.  Does anyone know where Mule palms are available? I was looking to probably plant myself so 15g-20g would be the max size probably.  Do they grow as fast as Queens?  Thanks in advance for any tips!

Jim

53 minutes ago, azjim66 said:

Hi Everyone!

I just joined after finding this site. What a great resource.  I live in Peoria and just built a new house so we have a tree less back yard..  Do they grow as fast as Queens?  Thanks in advance for any tips!

Jim

Welcome to Palm Talk!

They grow at a rate faster than the mother Butia but slower than the Queen.

Don't have a source for any mules at the moment...though my local Lowe's had one recently.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, azjim66 said:

Hi Everyone!

I just joined after finding this site. What a great resource.  I live in Peoria and just built a new house so we have a tree less back yard.  I am very interested in the Mule palm. I have see some huge ones at Moon Valley but those are wayy too pricey for me.  My last house I had great success with Queens and Pigmy's all from Costco and they all grew pretty fast.  Does anyone know where Mule palms are available? I was looking to probably plant myself so 15g-20g would be the max size probably.  Do they grow as fast as Queens?  Thanks in advance for any tips!

Jim

Whatever you do, do not ever go to Moon Valley.  The most unethical business practices, fake bro-science masquerading as expertise, and a rapacious approach to business that has literally suffocated local mom and pop nurseries.  I can recount to you stories from others in the trade that would make your head spin.  I would never badmouth a palm seller on PalmTalk in my life - with the sole exception of Moon Valley.  I have absolutely no nice words for them and never will.

Lowe's and Home Depot will both carry Mules, likely during the spring.  I believe a PTer actually supplies the Lowe's contract.  The Home Depot at I-17 and SR-74 in Anthem carries mules - and they generally look decent.  Whitfill Nursery also has mules, though generally they're expensive.  You can probably mail order one from Jungle Music, that's how I got my JxBxS (or BxJxS, I always forget).  Pacific Palms on the north side of the valley (near the home depot I mentioned) generally has them as well, and I believe I saw a ton at Treeland in Mesa the other day.  In fact - now that I'm recounting it - I know I did.  A ton of them.  And Treeland generally has fair prices.

Hope this helps!

Edited by ahosey01
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

I think @ahosey01 made good suggestions for your area.  If you don't have any luck locally and don't mind starting smaller (and probably smarter since they grow fast) you could order one online.  I've read good things about www.mulepalmsofmississippi.com on this forum.  Not sure of their prices but I have ordered from www.mulepalm.com and was very happy with their palms.  $85 for a 3-gal mule palm including shipping.  One of their partners Erik is a forum member here but recently retired from the nursery.  I assume that they still ship but I'm sure a phone call would verify that.  Good luck!  :greenthumb:

• Like 2

Jon Sunder

1 hour ago, ahosey01 said:

Whatever you do, do not ever go to Moon Valley.  The most unethical business practices, fake bro-science masquerading as expertise, and a rapacious approach to business that has literally suffocated local mom and pop nurseries.  I can recount to you stories from others in the trade that would make your head spin.  I would never badmouth a palm seller on PalmTalk in my life - with the sole exception of Moon Valley.  I have absolutely no nice words for them and never will.

Lowe's and Home Depot will both carry Mules, likely during the spring.  I believe a PTer actually supplies the Lowe's contract.  The Home Depot at I-17 and SR-74 in Anthem carries mules - and they generally look decent.  Whitfill Nursery also has mules, though generally they're expensive.  You can probably mail order one from Jungle Music, that's how I got my JxBxS (or BxJxS, I always forget).  Pacific Palms on the north side of the valley (near the home depot I mentioned) generally has them as well, and I believe I saw a ton at Treeland in Mesa the other day.  In fact - now that I'm recounting it - I know I did.  A ton of them.  And Treeland generally has fair prices.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for all the info. Much appreciated and I know all about Moon Valley.  My wife and I have gone in there to look but we never buy. It has a greasy used car sales feel to the place.   I have done business with Whitfill in the past and had no concerns but they are not cheap.  I will check out the other locations you mentioned for sure.

1 hour ago, Scott W said:

Welcome to Palm Talk!

They grow at a rate faster than the mother Butia but slower than the Queen.

Don't have a source for any mules at the moment...though my local Lowe's had one recently.  

Thanks!  I see Bismarcks and Pindo's  along with the usual AZ assortment at the Lowe's and HD up where I am but have never spotted a Mule there yet.

39 minutes ago, Fusca said:

I think @ahosey01 made good suggestions for your area.  If you don't have any luck locally and don't mind starting smaller (and probably smarter since they grow fast) you could order one online.  I've read good things about www.mulepalmsofmississippi.com on this forum.  Not sure of their prices but I have ordered from www.mulepalm.com and was very happy with their palms.  $85 for a 3-gal mule palm including shipping.  One of their partners Erik is a forum member here but recently retired from the nursery.  I assume that they still ship but I'm sure a phone call would verify that.  Good luck!  :greenthumb:

Thanks!

@azjim66 desert horizon nursery and the plant stand of arizona carry them as well. Just an FYI. Plant stand supplies a lot if not most of the home depots in Tucson. Prices are up there but obviously not as expensive as Moon Valley.

Also welcome to Palm Talk!

10 minutes ago, azjim66 said:

Thanks!

I didn't think to mention Patric Shaffer.  He creates several different hybrid palms including regular mules using the more attractive Butia yatay as the mother palm.  He is not a business but rather a private individual who shares his talents as a service to the palm community.  He sells liner palm seedlings starting at $50 + shipping and are also expertly packaged.  There are several threads in the Cold Hardy forum discussing his different hybrids. 

• Like 5

Jon Sunder

@azjim66 nice to meet you and welcome!

• Like 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Mules are now available at Lowes and Home Depot in Florida. 17 gallon or something containers?

At my last home, the crown was so heavy on the one I got that for the first few months I would have to constantly reset it after strong winds. It seemed to grow robustly in the short time it was mine. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NickJames said:

Mules are now available at Lowes and Home Depot in Florida. 17 gallon or something containers?

At my last home, the crown was so heavy on the one I got that for the first few months I would have to constantly reset it after strong winds. It seemed to grow robustly in the short time it was mine. 

This is Arizona so we get real wind for like 12 minutes twice a year during monsoon storms.  And even those are a regular central Florida afternoon. ;)

3 hours ago, azjim66 said:

Thanks for all the info. Much appreciated and I know all about Moon Valley.  My wife and I have gone in there to look but we never buy. It has a greasy used car sales feel to the place.   I have done business with Whitfill in the past and had no concerns but they are not cheap.  I will check out the other locations you mentioned for sure.

I will be going Treeland this week myself.  PM me if you’d like my contact info and I’d be happy to meet up.  I’m picking up a Brahea brandeegii.

• Like 1

On 12/13/2021 at 9:35 PM, ahosey01 said:

I will be going Treeland this week myself.  PM me if you’d like my contact info and I’d be happy to meet up.  I’m picking up a Brahea brandeegii.

Thanks! I may have to check that place out.  It is a haul from where I'm at in NW Peoria by Happy Valley and 303.  

• Like 1