IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cat palm leave drying

tanin

Hello,

A few months ago I bought a cat palm and I am noticing that any of the leaves are drying. Not sure if it is natural or more than there should are drying.

I water when the soil is dry, the room is a southern room with much light.

Any ideas on how to save him, if he needs to be saved?

https://imgur.com/undefinedhttps://imgur.com/J8UjEtZ

IMG_5655.jpg

IMG_5656.jpg

Edited by tanin

Cat palms are a bit unusual in the palm world. They may be classified as rheophytes, which means that they are native to areas of very wet soil conditions, think river banks with occasional saturated soils.  I think you are letting it get too dry. This one would not mind sitting in a a saucer with a bit of water at the bottom.  It may also be reacting to dry air. Any hot air ducts blowing on it? They can take some direct sun but don't need it, bright light is good enough.  Winter sun may burn it if there are no shears in the windows.  Good luck!

• Like 1

I agree with the diagnosis of oasis371.  This is a very thirsty species.   Welcome to Palmtalk !  :)

San Francisco, California

The other common if not notorious palm that frequently under watered indoors is the Majesty Palm (another water LOVER).  Unfortunately, I think there is confusing information out there on palm watering.  MOST palms appreciate a very well draining soil that dries somewhat between waterings but NO palms abide by dry roots. Even those that are native to DESERT regions (such as several species of Phoenix dates), are tapping into ground water.  And then there are the true water lovers that prefer nearly always moist soils. One size does not fit all palms. Aside from palms, I see a lot of people posting pics of plants that look chronically under watered.  Maybe we went from over water growers to under watering.  Another big issue is that some of the commonly available commercial soil mixes are TERRIBLE.  One popular brand is almost pure peat moss and becomes extremely hydrophobic in sunlight, especially outside.  You could literally be standing over the plant with a hose on it, and the soil stays desert DRY.  Good luck with your Chamaedorea cat palm!

• Like 1

There's a cat palm at Leu Gardens that is literally growing in running water at times, definitely stays wet, so I don't see how you could ever over water this one.

PXL_20210612_143730065.thumb.jpg.6b37dc495f017150a0e818911d45736e.jpg

PXL_20210612_143732880.thumb.jpg.aa8f9064713e3a35247477ca19760219.jpg

• Like 1

@tanin nice to meet you!

Could you provide a close up of the bases of your potted palms?

Those don't look like Cat Palms (Chamadorea cataractarum) as much as Archontophoenix, to me.

ID will help.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

17 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

@tanin nice to meet you!

Could you provide a close up of the bases of your potted palms?

Those don't look like Cat Palms (Chamadorea cataractarum) as much as Archontophoenix, to me.

ID will help.

Here it is:

IMG_5721.jpg

5 hours ago, tanin said:

Here it is:

IMG_5721.jpg

Okay it’s a Chamadorea cataractarum. A naturally clustering species in a riparian habitat ie., along streams and rivers. 

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.