Sign in to follow this  
TheMadScientist

COLD ALERT-Seedling Protective Measures

TheMadScientist

8 years ago this month, the COLD ALERT, that I don't believe got to 30 deg. F, destroyed all 100 Hyophorbe verscheffeltii  that had grown to 8 inches even though I moved them all into the race car trailer prior to sun set.  This brought me to a palm hiatus (I hurt for those in TEXAS this year).  Starting in 2009, I kept to Humilis, Odorata, Theophrasti, Canariensis.  The last few years, I'm back to the challenge of nature, but with caution.  The local Los Angeles weather guys predict highs and lows from Santa Barbara to San Clemente and inland approx. 80 miles listing each city, but they can be off 10 degrees F.  1 week ago, they said 49 deg. F and it got to 40 deg. F....no problems yet.  I took proactive measures 3 days ago.  Last night they said 40 deg. F and it got to 33 deg. F., I can't trust these weather guys.  Days still making it to high 60's to low 70's.  The following photos were taken after moving them all back outside for mild sun and minimal watering, back inside before 3 pm.  Those in the garage have a low of 55 deg. F, but I don't know what the race car trailer temperature is.  We never see rain, but in 2 days Tuesday, we are expecting 2-3 inches which will all come within 10 hours which is NOT good for seedlings.  What are the Protective Measures you are taking???

These are the race car trailer palms.

outside3.thumb.JPG.1519f7a6fdb59d6421f3176aab4ae160.JPG

The next 2 photos are the palms that go into the garage.

outside1.thumb.JPG.f1af9b344b6e5528023052c80b866b3c.JPG

outside2.thumb.JPG.79eda6e93ad984828414d4b991ee8ed6.JPG

• Like 4

Palmarum

For the plants in the garage, make sure to raise them off the concrete floor, even if just a couple inches.

Ryan

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

amh

I have a general rule of thumb in my area and that is to "subtract 10 degrees from the forecasted low". I just bring everything into the garage in the evening and bring it out in the morning.  The trailer should provide frost protection and protect the plants from short, mild freezes, but an insulated garage or spare room is best. 

I applaud your styrofoam cup use for seedlings, 16 or 20oz?:D

Edited by amh

PalmatierMeg

How about a heater in the trailer or garage? That's not many plants - I've move 10x+ that many when faced with freezes and hurricanes. Take them indoors.

TheMadScientist

This FEEDBACK is priceless now that I'm in the middle of having to deal with species that are borderline.

@Palmarum, I hadn't even considered issues with the concrete floor....BUT, I was accidentally LUCKY because of all the STUFF in the garage, I had to set up 5 card tables (27 inches off the floor) to straddle my junk and clear off 3 large shelving units.

@amh.  You challenged me to verify the size of cups....always thought they were 16 oz., but they are 20 oz.  Bought a case of 500 long time ago from a Big Box Store known as Smart and Final.  Laid out a production line of cups upside down, soldering iron with 1/4" tip and as quick as I could move, burned 4 drain holes in each bottom.  You can see how well they fit into the "milk crates" 15/crate and in minutes go back and forth into the garage.  The Pembana's take the most time as I don't have enough crates, but they are less weight so I can grab 4 cups in each hand.

THANK YOU ONCE AGAIN.

@PalmatierMeg, thank you again for the great seedlings and knowledge to this forum.  The garage at 55 deg. F has the water heater in it.  The problem for me with the trailer, the extension cord needs to be 200 feet and lay across the drainage path from flowing rain.  Also, being in the middle of the LAND THAT QUAKES, we are overdue for another "Q" and I have a 1949 Mercury Woody in the trailer....if it tipped over and caused a fire......a grown man crying is not pretty.

Edited by TheMadScientist

NOT A TA

Another thing you could possibly do if you want a little more warmth is warm up the car (if there is one) in the garage or trailer. With no wind once the door is closed, the area will stay warmer than outdoor overnight.

• Like 2

amh

The 16oz are more stable, while the 20s can get top heavy.

Big fan of the cups myself.

On 12/13/2021 at 11:08 AM, NOT A TA said:

Another thing you could possibly do if you want a little more warmth is warm up the car (if there is one) in the garage or trailer. With no wind once the door is closed, the area will stay warmer than outdoor overnight.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Marius

I saw this on Instagram: 

A5732B1F-63AC-4460-AF7D-1E008D1D5294.png

Palmarum
On 12/13/2021 at 12:08 PM, NOT A TA said:

Running the car in the garage could create a buildup of carbon monoxide. Not good for plant or person.

I have done something similar by running an electric clothes dryer with the exhaust hose pointed into the garage instead of outdoors. Running it a few times during the night would increase the temperature a bit, including the use of floor fans to move the air around.

Ryan

Palmarum
9 minutes ago, Marius said:

I saw this on Instagram: ...

Very cool... that'll do it for sure.

Ryan

• Like 1

NOT A TA
On 12/21/2021 at 12:50 AM, Palmarum said:

Running the car in the garage could create a buildup of carbon monoxide. Not good for plant or person.

Warm up the car with the garage/trailer door open, heat in car on full blast to heat up interior & windows of the car, shut off car, close garage/trailer door. The warm engine, exhaust system, engine, radiator, and interior, glass, etc. will slowly radiate heat for a long time.  I just assumed folks would know not to run the car in an enclosed space.

TheMadScientist

We got an invite for 3 days for a FREE stay at AIRBNB in Paso Robles (central Coronafornia) with reservations to wineries.....so I bought 14 ga. extension cords with drop light for 300 watt bulb and it raised the temperatures 7-10 deg. F saving the trailer palms.  Garage stayed at 55 deg. F for the low.  THANK YOU ALL AGAIN FOR MEANINGFUL ADVICE.

Palmarum
5 hours ago, NOT A TA said:

... I just assumed folks would know not to run the car in an enclosed space.

I would hope so as well, but it happens quite a lot. If it isn't a car, it is a generator, etc.

Ryan