IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Golden Cane Palms in Pots

Jtalty

Hello.
I was wondering if these long pots are large enough for these golden cane palms 80cm long x 36cm wide? I want to put two containers of palms in each pot as a privacy wall. I was told they aren’t big enough and I need round pots but am worried these won’t fit in my space. I would like the trees to grow taller over time and not need to re-pot again. Any advice very appreciated. 
thank you!! https://imgur.com/a/eXjEINt

If you live in a climate where you can leave pots of D. lutescens outside all year round, just put them in the ground and they'll grow much faster. This is a suckering species, which will eventually fill up pretty much any domestic-sized pot. Are you growing them outside or inside? I can't think of any good reason why round pots should be important.

I only have a courtyard without dirt so need to be outside in pots unfortunately. Do you think two of them would fit ok in one of those rectangle pots or need something bigger? Thank you for your response. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/11/2021 at 11:14 AM, Jtalty said:

I only have a courtyard without dirt so need to be outside in pots unfortunately. Do you think two of them would fit ok in one of those rectangle pots or need something bigger? Thank you for your response. 

Sorry, I wasn't notified of your reply. If these pots are the white ones in the photo, they do look rather small. They'd probably be all right for a couple of years, but you'd certainly have to repot at some point in the not-too-distant future. Going for deeper pots will buy you more time, and also wider if possible. Bear in mind your nursery pots are full of multiple individual palms, all of which will sucker and expand exponentially with time (if conditions are right). These palms really can form very robust clumps. If you want them to get tall, they'll need space for roots to support the foliage.