IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Looking for Jubaea x Syagrus Rom

NWpalms@206

On 12/12/2021 at 10:41 AM, NWpalms@206 said:

Hmmm, well maybe the question should be…who actually has a flowering jubaea and how can we get some to Patrick! Looks like he’ll have a line out the door of folks wanting some jxs. Gotta be one somewhere domestic or import jubaea flower? Chile? I’m not educated in import/customs stuff so I don’t know how that would work but just a thought I guess.  And I suppose that would make SxJ if he only had jubaea pollen and used queen mother… wonder that that would be like 

Here’s S x J growing in San Marcos, TX z8b. It has been slower growing than J x S.  This pic was taken the day before the Feb, ‘21 freeze began.  

4349FFBF-4A7E-43F2-90F9-C394F5C29DA1.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Matt N- Dallas said:

Here’s S x J growing in San Marcos, TX z8b. It has been slower growing than J x S.  This pic was taken the day before the Feb, ‘21 freeze began.  

4349FFBF-4A7E-43F2-90F9-C394F5C29DA1.jpeg

Very nice. I was wondering about the SxJ as well. Did this one survive? Curious how it compares to JxS in cold hardiness. JxS or SxJ is about the only hybrid I’m missing now. Hope they’ll make a return in 2022. 

This one and all of my other Patric hybrids survived because I protected them during the Valentine’s week freeze.  Each one was defoliated, wrapped w/ a heating cable, wrapped with cotton painter’s tarps and then a waterproof tarp.  They’ve grown out well this growing season.  I can’t really vouch for comparing the cold hardiness of JxS to SxJ because they’ve not been tested.  I was afraid to test them without protection during the Feb cold break.  

• Like 3

I know they were protected so it's kind of irrelevant, but how cold did it get there in Feb?  I visited west Tx in  (I think?) march and was sad to see all the dead-looking Washingtonias and very sad looking Phoenix canariensis.  

11 hours ago, Jesse PNW said:

I know they were protected so it's kind of irrelevant, but how cold did it get there in Feb?  I visited west Tx in  (I think?) march and was sad to see all the dead-looking Washingtonias and very sad looking Phoenix canariensis.  

In San Marcos, TX (halfway between Austin & San Antonio) we reached an ultimate low of 6*-7*F with a long duration freeze, ice, snow & sleet.  DFW reached -2 to +3F, Austin 6*F, San Antonio 9* to 11*F, Corpus Christi 18*F and the RGV 22* to 23*F.  In N & Central TX it was the coldest outbreak since 1989.