Sign in to follow this  
Arecaceae78743

Palms in Big Bend National Park

Arecaceae78743

I had know before that palms grew in El Paso and Del Rio but it did not occur to me that they would grow in the big bend. It would make sense because the location dips south and has the Davis mountains blocking north winds and there are lower points in elevation such as by the rio grande where it would stay warmer. The zone is considered 8b by the usda. 

Here are some pics before the big freeze (not mine)

B46569F3-09BD-4D29-811E-448CAA91B0DC.thumb.jpeg.122ebd395a15845f2fefc3868411dc34.jpeg

C4D14D10-B599-4121-8697-25103B1D8D4C.thumb.jpeg.9ea2bb392207b00bae9ad258ba3d8bd6.jpeg

and some after pics but they survive.

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/102077751

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/101993528

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/101993501

Edited by Arecaceae78743
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 2

thallo

I saw these palms on the way to the hot springs during two of the greatest camping trips of my life back in the mid 90s! I hope they made it and thanks for sharing!

• Upvote 1

Austinpalm

Have seen these palms on many trips to the hot springs.  They have grown much since I first saw them back in the late 70's.  Glad to see they came thru this past February alive.  There are/were many palm tree planted in Terlingua and Lajitas (two small towns to the west of the park).  Interestingly, Brahea bella is native just south of the Rio Grande.  But I do not believe it has ever been reliably reported in Texas.  Could be wrong though. Thanks for posting.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• K2HI
      By K2HI
      Can anyone ID this palm?  It is growing very well near Pacifica, California. My daughter and son in law just bought a house nearby and would love to plant one. I’ve informed them that if this is a date palm (what species/cultivar?) that this is probably a very old tree. I would like to get a positive ID on this as I think it is a magnificent, absolutely gorgeous palm!  I wish we could grow date palms here as we love dates, and date palms are really beautiful, but our collection of palms is growing fast. Mahalo nui loa for your help!

• treelover
      By treelover
      how to grow ajwa date from seed?
    • Centraltxpalm
      By Centraltxpalm
      I was wondering why desert palms arent grown indoors more often. It seems a common problem with indoor palms is low humidity. But all that I can think of come from wet environments. Could a brahea or washingtonia do well indoors. Well not exactly a desert palm, they are related to one, the pygmy date is probably the closest and they seem to do well indoors. Perhaps the thorns or light issues are why.
    • Little Tex
      By Little Tex
      Found This palm survived unprotected in Southern Humble Texas
      There was 2 queens one died, and dead washingtonia next to it which makes it remarkable this one survived.

• Xerarch
      By Xerarch
      Nicest Aceolorrhaphe wrightii I have noticed, all survived but this is the only one I’ve seen where the existing trunks survived, even a big one on the island died to the ground and started regrowing. There were only ever a handful around to begin with that I’m aware of.