IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

First copernicia in the ground

Makko16

Got my first copernicia palm this week. Fell in love with the copernicia fallaensis when I first saw it at Fairchild gardens this year. Now I just need some patience while I wait for it to grow lol 

Adding a pic of the ones at Fairchild since there’s a little more to see there…

AF6BE8F9-C752-475E-9E08-38690EE51194.jpeg

DB02477F-2B0D-4B9E-B0A0-A84A16D6FC50.jpeg

• Like 14

bailey is not a small palm, I advise you(in florida) not to plant any palm with a crown closer than 15' trunk to trunk and preferably more.  Bailey will be about 20' wide as an adult.  Baileys and other cubans look best, IMO, in full sun with a sky background so  you can see that mesmerizing moiré pattern made by the leaves.

• Like 2

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

2 hours ago, sonoranfans said:

bailey is not a small palm, I advise you(in florida) not to plant any palm with a crown closer than 15' trunk to trunk and preferably more.  Bailey will be about 20' wide as an adult.  Baileys and other cubans look best, IMO, in full sun with a sky background so  you can see that mesmerizing moiré pattern made by the leaves.

The only good argument that exists against more palms no matter how many you already have.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sonoranfans said:

Thanks. I chose that spot for the fallaensis with a measuring tape and all to make sure I have 20’ of canopy room for her. Here’s a daytime pic. The other spot I considered was the front island in center but was worried it would block the house for next 13 years u til it gets enough height. Although, to your point, the silhouette against the sky would be better… 

B0BFFB28-E488-4484-8F4E-3AEB6AD79217.jpeg

DFDCE6E2-AFB0-4971-92EB-893C34DD5A49.jpeg

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Makko16 said:

Thanks. I chose that spot for the fallaensis with a measuring tape and all to make sure I have 20’ of canopy room for her. Here’s a daytime pic. The other spot I considered was the front island in center but was worried it would block the house for next 13 years u til it gets enough height. Although, to your point, the silhouette against the sky would be better… 

B0BFFB28-E488-4484-8F4E-3AEB6AD79217.jpeg

Lol!  That’s how I plant stuff.  The neighbors think you’re crazy…. Til years later.  

• Like 2

sometimes that silhouette is just mesmerizing.  Here is my fallaensis early in the morning with the moon.

IMG_8311.JPG

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Tom Blank

9 hours ago, sonoranfans said:

sometimes that silhouette is just mesmerizing.  Here is my fallaensis early in the morning with the moon.

IMG_8311.JPG

Beautiful! Thats the goal, I just need to stop looking at it so it grows faster lol

• 2 weeks later...

Update: took @ahosey01 advice and decided to add another one and planted them both in front island. Had to be careful when transplanting the first one to the front but it went smoothly since it was only in ground for a week. Any recommendations on how often to water them in this beginning stage? Every day for first 3 weeks? 
 Also it might be hard to tell in pic but they’re planted 18’ apart from one another so plenty of room to grow. Grass is long I know, cutting tomorrow lol

A1A09771-C34B-4482-BE80-316744FD910D.jpeg

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Makko16 said:

Update: took @ahosey01 advice and decided to add another one and planted them both in front island. Had to be careful when transplanting the first one to the front but it went smoothly since it was only in ground for a week. Any recommendations on how often to water them in this beginning stage? Every day for first 3 weeks? 
 Also it might be hard to tell in pic but they’re planted 18’ apart from one another so plenty of room to grow. Grass is long I know, cutting tomorrow lol

Going to try and plant a C baileyana (similar enough) myself in the spring.  9A zone, but warm winter days and dry temps - so we’ll see how successful.  I love the whole damn genus.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Makko16 said:

I'd water depending on temps if its good drainage.  What kind of soil do you have?  If its rocky wet soil I saw in miami area, less water is needed.   Spacing looks very good, sunlight appears appropriate(a lot), they will barely touch at 18', mine is 20'+ wide so it reaches out ~10'.  They should be amazing trees in 10-15 years.  Just remember, feed these palms, they are potassium pigs.  I feed my fallaensis 4-5x more fertilizer than any other palm except a 15' bailey, it has a huge root area to feed.  I use only palm food around the palms, NO grass fertilizer as it may cause deficiencies.  The grass will eventually be underneath, it will be a bit thinner when those puppies reach 20' LOL!  

Tom Blank

16 hours ago, sonoranfans said:

I'd water depending on temps if its good drainage.  What kind of soil do you have?  If its rocky wet soil I saw in miami area, less water is needed.   Spacing looks very good, sunlight appears appropriate(a lot), they will barely touch at 18', mine is 20'+ wide so it reaches out ~10'.  They should be amazing trees in 10-15 years.  Just remember, feed these palms, they are potassium pigs.  I feed my fallaensis 4-5x more fertilizer than any other palm except a 15' bailey, it has a huge root area to feed.  I use only palm food around the palms, NO grass fertilizer as it may cause deficiencies.  The grass will eventually be underneath, it will be a bit thinner when those puppies reach 20' LOL!  

Good info thanks! Soil is rocky wet sand type once you pass the topsoil and they’re in full sun all day. Hadn’t thought of the lawn fert around these palms but will watch for that next time I throw down.

9 hours ago, Makko16 said:

Good info thanks! Soil is rocky wet sand type once you pass the topsoil and they’re in full sun all day. Hadn’t thought of the lawn fert around these palms but will watch for that next time I throw down.

yeah lawn lime has 10:1 CA:Mg, this is pushes the plant towards Mg deficiency as Ca competes.  Proper ratio for palms is 3:1, though some palms are notably more resistant than others to this kid of deficiency, though cuban copernicias are among the more sensitive to deficiencies.  Your natural rocky limestone soil in miami has a great mix of Ca:Mg I understand.  

• Like 2

Tom Blank

• 1 year later...