IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Nothing’s quite as pretty as Maxie in the morning

DoomsDave

On 12/18/2021 at 7:09 PM, DoomsDave said:

Here’s Slapsie Maxie again, this morning different angle.

B40E2B0A-22CC-46FB-A295-9D7A862F242C.thumb.jpeg.db0bb9a81e0e5d495693420d4a859396.jpeg

Not much difference (in the sky). Does it ever rain there?

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Phoenikakias said:

Not much difference (in the sky). Does it ever rain there?

It’s been raining the past couple of days. About 4-5 cm.

Best Christmas present ever; we’ve really been short on rain in California, especially in the south where I am.

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I don’t usually bother to post pics of my itty-bitty California garden with very few palms. Here is Howea-ville with a few P. Roebelenii that were here before me, on a blustery Christmas Eve morning.

C57AB445-A94D-4CB5-ABE2-8206CF6AC38A.thumb.jpeg.ff3dd0bf73d7d1e77f4fcbe3e0aac99d.jpeg

DBD9A04E-162D-4AD6-8AC0-A8B5132A30E9.thumb.jpeg.0f08fb0d5503521713c8eeba7043b451.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Lest anyone disbelieve here’s a picture from a gloriously rainy Christmas Eve.

035544E1-403A-4586-A3CC-089288CAE7AF.thumb.jpeg.4ff5d59c12e275c0ee21047900489c72.jpeg

• Like 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

• 3 weeks later...

Pritchardia flynnii in the morning sunlight

Bananas in the morning light (yummy for breakfast with my guavas)

Early morning view looking east up my street along the side of my property and beyond.

20220114-BH3I6499.jpg

20220114-BH3I6486.jpg

20220114-BH3I6483.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

9 hours ago, Tracy said:

Pritchardia flynnii in the morning sunlight

Bananas in the morning light (yummy for breakfast with my guavas)

Early morning view looking east up my street along the side of my property and beyond.

20220114-BH3I6499.jpg

20220114-BH3I6486.jpg

20220114-BH3I6483.jpg

Tracy, a very palmy house in what appears to be a palmy neighborhood. Nice morning view indeed.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Shooting wide allowed me to get a lot of things stuffed in close all fitting into the photo frame.  Another distorted view of the morning light on some clumping Dypsis, a Cycas debaoensis, Chambeyronia (Kentiopsis) oliviformis, and a few other miscellaneous plants. (If you click on the photo, it will load a much crisper file than the thumbnails shown with the text).

20220128-BH3I6721.jpg

• Like 2

‘Twas an insanely beautiful morning today after a somewhat cloudy day yesterday…Here’s a few random photos from around the yard A couple small B. Alfredii glowing in the morning sun, a few shots of my little aloe garden, a howea fosteriana frond plus a shot of my “pinot noir” Aechmea blanchetiana to throw some variety in there:shaka-2:

CA425ED2-4B2D-4EAB-926D-CB4861C02C7D.jpeg

FEFC4B4A-0A2E-41FC-8DE9-DF4118EC7B38.jpeg

D7792238-7567-498E-91E8-E10B68E3FCC4.jpeg

F23A3DC5-917F-4936-B096-8CB7711931BE.jpeg

571BCEE5-6CE0-4A05-9912-5FDE4999C6E9.jpeg

B70BF50A-5BED-4AF0-96C8-8085B799F55D.jpeg

7C622C1B-F960-42E8-801B-CBC671F55855.jpeg

ADF9D28C-8C93-41EB-88C6-D374A41559D1.jpeg

97E7F06D-BCF5-4FDF-97AC-BCF5850ABFBC.jpeg

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Billy said:

Twas an insanely beautiful morning today after a somewhat cloudy day yesterday…

That it was, just enough cloud coverage to make for a little color in the sky before the sun rose.  I was walking by with the dogs this morning and didn't see any signs that the Eugenia were being removed yet, so either you haven't started the project of opted to treat them with something to kill them first instead.  I was searching among the bromeliads in the front to see if I could find any Alcantarea imperialis, but didn't spot any among your diverse selection.  I always enjoy the broms mounted on top of the king palm stump, gives it the appearance of a crown. 

• Like 1

We've only removed three of them so far and there's probably another 20+ stumps to go so it'll just be a matter of time but I've been lagging on it. I think I'll take your advice and try to chainsaw out as much as possible and then rent a small stump grinder from HD to get rid of the rest. In the meantime I'm brainstorming other areas to squeeze in more palms and hopefully spruce up the curb appeal. I can't stand the queens but my pops planted em and he's attached to them so I'll just work on incorporating rare palms wherever I can. You've inspired me with the crazy collection you have going! Definitely going to chainsaw out a few roebellinis in the front to open up space and be able to add some new palms. I've got a list going of potential candidates but I'm definitely open to any suggestions as you obviously have success with growing tons of palms in our climate. I'm thinking of throwing a blue chamaerops humilis out in the front to get some silver blue color going, maybe a rhopalostylis, pritchardia, chambeyronia macrocarpa or houailou, and as far as dypsis there's at least 10 that I'm interested in (heteromorpha, pembana, prestoniana, onilahensis, leptocheilos, saintelucei, lanceolata, robusta, decaryi, etc.) As far as the alcantarea imperialis, she's hiding behind a few ti plants. I got it at Gardens by the Sea last winter and it's probably tripled in size since then! Give a holler next time you're walking by Hope all is well

• Like 1

Here’s a couple photos of the imperialis (one from last night and one from this morning) It’s been in this same spot and seems to like it but I’m thinking if I move it out into more direct sun it may turn more red? Definitely a possibility…

9079407F-AE73-4839-808E-2A72CDFBDED1.jpeg

8792DD01-BDE6-47C4-88CD-015D90C2F429.jpeg

• Like 3