IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Is this Yucca Rostrata?

RichAZ

Howdy!  Bought this super blue yucca which was labeled Yucca Rostrata but now I’m not so sure.  Looking down at it there are multiple individuals growing and Rostrata is supposed to be a single trunked species. What do you think? 

36CB5070-FCEB-44AA-BE88-2476E31DB946.jpeg

69040D72-16E5-4C5E-A087-C8F067365449.jpeg

Just now, RichAZ said:

Howdy!  Bought this super blue yucca which was labeled Yucca Rostrata but now I’m not so sure.  Looking down at it there are multiple individuals growing and Rostrata is supposed to be a single trunked species. What do you think? 

36CB5070-FCEB-44AA-BE88-2476E31DB946.jpeg

69040D72-16E5-4C5E-A087-C8F067365449.jpeg

Thinking it isn't, ...at least a pure  rostrata.. Could be some sort of cross involving something like Y glauca or pallida ( or another low growing, offsetting Yucca sp. ) though. Nice regardless.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for your feedback.  Whatever it is, it’s amazingly blue.  Trying to figure out how wide it’s going to get if it isn’t Rostrata.  

26 minutes ago, RichAZ said:

Thanks for your feedback.  Whatever it is, it’s amazingly blue.  Trying to figure out how wide it’s going to get if it isn’t Rostrata.  

If a cross w/ one of the low growing, suckering sp.  i'd mentioned, shouldn't get too wide / tall.. Depending on what side of town you're on, wouldn't doubt you could find examples of Yucca pallida planted in commercial or city designed landscapes.. They've planted them everywhere here in Chandler recently, lol. ( think they chose the wrong Bougainvillea for a newly installed street median project just south of Alma School and Chandler Blvd too.. Already wayy too big for the planting space ) Regardless, that Yucca doesn't get massively wide / take up tons of space.. VERY blue foliage.  Glauca would take up roughly the same space, but has narrower, slightly more gray green looking leaves, at least one i have does.

• Like 1

The width of the leaves appears to be too wide for even a mature rostrata. Some crosses can get very wide. Not saying that what you have is a faxoniana x rostrata cross but they supposedly get 6 feet or more wide. That would be assuming multiple seeds germinated in the same pot and weren’t separated at the nursery (common practice in my experience)@Silas_Sancona has you on the right track for sure though. 

• Like 1

Tough to tell from the pics but looks like a clump of Yucca rigida.  Pretty common in the garden centers around here.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chester B said:

Tough to tell from the pics but looks like a clump of Yucca rigida.  Pretty common in the garden centers around here.

Don't think i have seen more than one Y rigida plant per pot in any of the Nurseries here.. You might be seeing Y. pallida.. Apparently everyone has been flooding various markets w/them lately.. From what i have seen, -at least here, Leaves often exhibit similar coloration when young ( Know a nursery that forgot to label the two, was tough to tell them apart when placed next to one another off the delivery truck ) Add " Twisted Leaf Yucca " ( Y. rupicola ) to the mix, ...and you start scratching your head a bit ..when they aren't labeled, lol..

Thanks for all the ideas guys.  I'm not sure what to think about this little guy anymore.  It's likely there was a labelling issue since there were maybe a dozen yuccas of this general size and appearance grouped together and they all had different labels.  On the other hand, I really looked at it yesterday and based on the thin leaves, color and slight twist I'm starting to think maybe it really is a Rostrata after all.  Maybe they planted a few in the same container and just left them like that?  Seems wasteful.

• Like 1