IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sprouting Dypsis seeds

DoomsDave

Some Dypsis sprout easily like plumosa and decaryi; others just rot like Onilahensis droopy and others.

What do you do to sprout them? Special soil? Temperature?

• Like 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

My primary methods:

Typically use 50/50 standard potting mix/vermiculite or perlite, especially for the smaller seed species.  Keep it moist, either baggy or open air, and crank the temperature to about 90F.  Make sure to keep about an inch or two of potting medium between your seeds and the bottom of the container or bag if you're using a heat mat.  This is what I used for the batch of Teddy Bears I shared with you and just pulled two germinated seeds out of the bag.

For larger seeds like Dypsis decaryi, you can grab a bag of the cheap big box Orchid moss, cut the top of the bag and dump a 24 oz. cup of water in and let it soak for about 10-15 minutes.  Grab a handful of the soaked orchid moss, put your thumb from your opposite hand longways across the orchid moss, squeeze hard until all of the water comes out.  The orchid moss will still be moist, but not wet.  Lay a bed of this in the container or baggy, set the seeds on top, then grab another handful of orchid moss and repeat for the top dressing.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Seems to me that there are a few exceptions for using higher heat with a few of the Dypsis.  Baronii and perhaps malcomberi(?) come to mind as germinating better at room temperature.  May be others.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Jon Sunder

1 hour ago, DoomsDave said:

Some Dypsis sprout easily like plumosa and decaryi; others just rot like Onilahensis droopy and others.

What do you do to sprout them? Special soil? Temperature?

I used baggy method, sphagnum moss with perlite mixed in and dampened.  I occasionally spray into the baggy to add moisture, but use a dilute hydrogen peroxide for adding moisture and reduce the probability of them molding.  I had a similar issue with Dypsis onilahensis, but success with D heteromorpha and D prestoniana.  Ahh... gas water heater in a closet, so I put the baggies in aluminum foil and set on top of the water heater.  Still waiting to see what happens with the lanceolata seeds from this season.  Your question is almost two parts... which are the easy ones and which are the hard ones that take some unusual tricks or patience.  I assumed that I did  a poor job cleaning my D onilahensis seeds, but maybe that wasn't the issue.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

DYPSIS PEMBANA:  seeds from @NatureGirl and seedlings from @PalmatierMeg

I used a converted ice chest with 40 watt drop light, lid raised 1+ inches and the temp. is 85 deg. F 24/7, 50-50 Peat / Perlite mix, open plastic tub (no drainage so moisture is more critical - so no standing water, heavy misting daily).  Photo is 1 month after first sprout.  I HAVE A WAY TO CAUSE THE DEATH OF SOME OF THESE SEEN AND THOSE PURCHASED FROM MEG.....I use 16 oz. styrofoam cups with 4 drain holes in the bottom for potting up from the community pot, moist soil mix, poke a finger hole to allow roots to lower and put more soil mix around those roots.....BUT I LEARNED THAT I DO NOT PACK ENOUGH OF THE SOIL AROUND THOSE ROOTS, so an air pocket is present causing the death.  I am making the mix a little more moist and pushing the outer most soil inward on the roots.  The family photo of germinated seeds and seedlings was taken in September and most are now creating their 3rd set of leaves.

post-6612-0-85594400-1404520491_thumb.jpg

475967029_D.Pembana12-19-2020.thumb.JPG.d8b21d2f867b8f669af0eca04d54a117.JPG

119845664_D.Pembana9-21-2021.thumb.JPG.667b7ca6b8e5d711af8cbdd2fe7b452c.JPG

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Survived Feb. 9, 1971 & Jan. 17, 1994 earthquakes   Before Palms, there was a special airplane

619382403_F-117landingsmallest.jpg.0441eed7518a280494a59fcdaf23756d.jpg

DYPSIS DECARYI (Triangle Palm).  I did NOT germinate these, but purchased them as seedlings from Ed @The Germinator and would like to have him give us the details....These are the strongest, healthiest species I have ever potted up and maintained as I have NOT LOST A SINGLE PALM.  ONLY A GUESS FROM ME:  It appears Ed filled a 10" container (perhaps a 2 gallon) with his soil mix, sowed the seeds on top with perhaps a little of the soil mix covering them all and kept his many containers outside in the shade to germinate.  First photo is Ed's with donor behind the container.  Next photos are day one of repotting each as individuals.  The vertical height is 24 inches and almost not enough.  The last photo shows the ones that have completed second phase of growth.

1839567012_dyp.decar1.jpg.bdcebe62f999643b6702e92bf52dee28.jpg

1264537823_dyp.decar3.thumb.JPG.ae2ad42f0aa44a7d53158ef927003465.JPG

2043440425_dyp.decar5.thumb.JPG.08c103aaef852e61c7d5107db5d95807.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Survived Feb. 9, 1971 & Jan. 17, 1994 earthquakes   Before Palms, there was a special airplane

619382403_F-117landingsmallest.jpg.0441eed7518a280494a59fcdaf23756d.jpg

Received this summer freshly picked seeds of Dypsis onilahensis and sowed them directly in a pot (no baggy method) with a substrate 50% perlite and 50% zeolite and a pinch of good quality coir. Pot placed in a shady spot inside my cold frame receiving every second day during summer and two times weekly during autumn few spray drops from a sprinkler. Had 100% germination rate and seedlings are still alive and healthy. Three of them which had pushed their tap root above soil level were potted up individually but they rotted fast.

Edited by Phoenikakias
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/30/2021 at 2:43 PM, Phoenikakias said:

Received this summer freshly picked seeds of Dypsis onilahensis and sowed them directly in a pot (no baggy method) with a substrate 50% perlite and 50% zeolite and a pinch of good quality coir. Pot placed in a shady spot inside my cold frame receiving every second day during summer and two times weekly during autumn few spray drops from a sprinkler. Had 100% germination rate and seedlings are still alive and healthy. Three of them which had pushed their tap root above soil level were potted up individually but they rotted fast.

They still look health, despite that temperature falls every night to single digits.

20211206_133829.thumb.jpg.fc77843825129234fa2d795642806125.jpg

• Like 4