IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Temperature Today

SALOttawa

It’s -9 degrees Celsius (15 Fahrenheit)this morning in Ottawa Canada, but my Washingtonia Robusta is happy at 8 degrees (46 Fahrenheit) in its winter protection!

what is the temperature at your location? And what kind of palms are you protecting this winter?

08D0DC4E-920E-4F79-B5F4-CDDB3823B929.jpeg

D8377494-409E-4F06-83D4-136729D477B1.jpeg

5D7B28C3-8E8A-4C38-B86F-EC46A82F1FDF.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Lets see...63F yesterday and about 27F now at 6:44am.

Palms etc are

T.Latisectus

T.Takil.

T.Manipur (Naga Hills)

T.Oreophillus

T.Princeps

T.Princeps x Wagnerianus

T.Geminisectus

2 C.Cooperi 

C.Brownii

I would love to have those temperatures! In fact, we have ice on the river for the first time, this morning. Obviously, it is not frozen over yet, but, there is a thin film of ice to about 75 yards out.

I've moved my 8 ft Ravenea rivularis palm into my unheated garage for the season. Currently 46°F / 7°C at 6 am. Expecting 52°F / 11°C daytime high today.

Nice work on the enclosure!

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

Good deal on keeping the palm warm. I have a pindo which I may or may not have to protect, all depends if theres a very cold arctic chill this year or not. Usually not, but always possible. Looking decently warm heading into December.

Screenshot_20211128-110605_The Weather Channel.jpg

3 hours ago, SALOttawa said:

It’s -9 degrees Celsius (15 Fahrenheit)this morning in Ottawa Canada, but my Washingtonia Robusta is happy at 8 degrees (46 Fahrenheit) in its winter protection!

what is the temperature at your location? And what kind of palms are you protecting this winter?

08D0DC4E-920E-4F79-B5F4-CDDB3823B929.jpeg

D8377494-409E-4F06-83D4-136729D477B1.jpeg

5D7B28C3-8E8A-4C38-B86F-EC46A82F1FDF.jpeg

Ah Ottawa and it’s “warm” winters. I remember them so well....not. Lived in Sandy Hill down near the Russian embassy with the Brazilian one relight behind us. Loved to skate the canal but walking to work when it was like -20c was not fun at all. Still I was younger then and did not feel it as bad. I think -9 is a bit cold for you at this time of year, no?

It has yet to dip below 0 in my little part of the country. Currently 8C outside. With how wet and grey our fall has been I’d trade a little colder weather if it came with some sunshine though. I do miss those sunny, crisp days when I used to live in Ontario. 

0 of my in-ground palms receive any protection (T. fortunei, C. humilis, B. odorata, S. minor, S. palmetto, and my mule palm). I do have a greenhouse with many palm babies, some not terribly cold hardy. I have a thermostat connected to old style Christmas lights that kicks in whenever the temp drops below 2C outside the greenhouse. It does a good job at keeping everything warm when it does eventually get cold out. 

Zone 8b, Csb (Warm-summer Mediterranean climate). 1,940 annual sunshine hours 
Annual lows-> 19/20: -5.0C, 20/21: -5.5C, 21/22: -8.3C, 22/23: -9.4C, 23/24: 1.1C (so far!)

Temperatures have been all over the place and we've already gotten our first frost. I'm protecting a few small palms with 5 gallon buckets and mulch - arenga engleri, Syagrus romanzoffiana, and a couple Phoenix species. Two lytocaryum Hoehnei have lights wrapped around them and a good bit of mulch at their bases. They'll get some additional overhead protection when it rains

Screenshot_20211128-135211_Weather.jpg

• Like 1

-9 can be cold for this time of year in Ottawa, but you never know. We actually had quite a mild autumn with only a couple of nights of frost until about two weeks ago.

It’s almost 1am here in Enterprise Alabama and it’s currently cold!! Apparently it’s getting below freezing tonight. 

and I don’t protect any of my palms. They have to take what nature gives them and if they don’t make it one year then they’ll get replaced with something more cold hardy. 

18D094F5-A14C-492A-B109-55D5D9979E47.png

Edited by Jtee