IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Carpenteria Palm in Sarasota / Myakka

coco305

Was wondering if a carpenteria palm would survive in Myakka City Florida? 

It looks like they are hardy in zone 10b but myakka is technically zone 9b. 

It is possible to push an entire zone for this palm?  I don't want to have to do any kind of work to winterize the plant, such as add heaters or blankets or Christmas lights.  I want to be able to plant and forget basically.  

I know the picabeen / Bangalow palm is more hardy and looks similar, but the carpenteria looks slightly more tropical to me. 

Ideally I would have a red lipstick palm or a acai palm but both of these would only grow in a actual tropical place and not Sarasota. 

Cheers

Cold ToleranceCarpentaria Palm is not very cold hardy. It can tolerate cold weather only down to 30F. It is great for USDA Zones 10a (30 to 35 F) to Zone 11 (above 40 F). It is also susceptible to trunk cracks in cool weather (cracks opens the trunk to decay organisms), so make sure to provide cold protection if you expecting cold temperatures.

Sarasota, close to the coast? possibly... Wouldn't doubt there are a few around town that escaped my attention while i lived in the area.. Myakka City? ...first thought would be to say " i'd highly doubt it ",  but .. Might look around the area to see if there is anything growing there ( in Myakka ) that has a similar cold tolerance. If so, perhaps planting where sheltered from the coldest nights ( under high canopy, protected from strong north / west wind, etc ) might help..