IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Accenting your palms

coco305

I was wondering what other plants you have in your garden to accent your palms. 

I am thinking of having bird of paradise and white bird of paradise. as well as gardenia, and some orange trees. 

what are the best plants to grow underneath palms?  

There are a lot of tropical “companion” plants for palms. If you want that look, many have Bromeliads, Crontons, Ti’s, BoP’s (you mention), Agave’s, Cyad’s, Bamboo, Heliconia’s are just some. One also has to consider your zone of course. 

• Like 3

Your location will define the limits of what you can use. Can you grow orchids outdoors? For me they are a favorite for mounting on textured palm trunks at about eye level for some eye candy. Lately I have a developing addiction to Vireya, tropical rhododendrons.  Vreisea bromeliads are lovely accents for their patterned foliage, and hibiscus are fine for taller accents. Certain gingers are quite lovely; I really like a tall purple flowering one that has variegated foliage. It appeared in the garden on its own, so I hope it doesn't become a management problem. Ti plants are so easy, and come in so many color variations.

Examples below -- orchid, ti plant, bromeliads along a path, hibiscus, vireya

IMG_7010.thumb.JPG.8b2ed0a00af0dfef96ad7ebe7b1dd2a0.JPG

DSC_0299.thumb.jpg.34292366d3d07950394f61fff376c3ef.jpg

DSC_0304.thumb.jpg.d054dd7d483d229bfccc42b31a6b4585.jpg

DSC_0339.thumb.jpg.7fe02ffb83c09270eb39eda734aaeaf6.jpg

IMG_7117.jpg10-1-2021.thumb.jpg.7e83e708da4c9955ca24aa3a1c76a5a0.jpg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 3

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

20 hours ago, coco305 said:

what are the best plants to grow underneath palms?  

9 hours ago, KDubU said:

One also has to consider your zone of course. 

7 hours ago, Kim said:

Your location will define the limits of what you can use.

It really comes down to where you are located as other posters have already mentioned.  We can all share our favorite companion plants, but without knowing where you are located, we may be suggesting some poor options for your climate.  Is the 305 in your name an area code?  If so, you may want to elaborate a little more as there can be micro-climates that will make some options better than others.  Plenty of people on this forum from in and around the 305 area code if my guess is right that will be happy to elaborate if that is where you are.

Here in Southern California, I have gone in a very different direction with plenty of cycads, aloes, plumeria, some species of bromeliads and orchids.  What works for me here wouldn't work in many other places just as what works around Miami would probably struggle here.  One other comment is which palms are you accompanying, as that may determine nice contrasting shapes as well as colors.  If you have predominantly feather leafed palms, adding some big leafed plants like Ficus dammaropsis or aroid plants would be nice contrasts.

• Like 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Bromeliads.   Plumerias.  agaves.   Cordylines I went With as they all very colorful and use very very little water!!!  Can’t beat that right ? 

A lot of people use Cycads as well.  I am a few.   Again a low water option to plant around palms.  

I love Elephant ears but they need water and don’t grow as well in So cal as they do High Humidity areas. 

• Like 1