IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dioon Holmgrenii Transplant Issues

Bruce48

Hi All- I recently transplanted a large (10”+ caudex and starting to trunk) Dioon Holmgrenii and leaves have gone from upright to almost horizontal and flattening out. The plant was transplanted 6 days ago along with a few other large dioons that are looking great.

Soil has plenty of pumice mixed in and I have 50+ Cycads in the yard all looking fine so I don’t believe moisture/soil is an issue. Plant is female and I know they start to flatten out when coning but I am concerned about how quickly the leaves moved from upright to flat and floppy after transplanting. Also concerned about the floppy leaves putting pressure on the caudex. Any tips are appreciated. Should I cut the bottom row of leaves off and tie up the center?

They were only moved a few miles from Lakeside, CA to Santee, CA and I really want to keep this one happy. 

6C5AE6F9-17C7-4E93-B93D-4DF99BBA1241.jpeg

FEC29E08-E35B-4A90-B920-C84D3D809F42.jpeg

B19B7E0D-A731-4904-B1FF-9406D7783B27.jpeg

284E3E6E-5E9E-4AF5-89B1-2036EDE8B652.jpeg

331310CB-6C8D-4CF8-92B2-E637E781EBCD.jpeg

2CF7EF98-B916-479C-A8E5-B5CFBE2C6371.jpeg

030E6AF9-FEC3-444E-938A-89BB210495B8.jpeg

29930870-6E61-44B9-A5DD-ADF977094958.jpeg

2B9E4904-4F72-4E13-9080-CDCC3E2C0656.jpeg

Edited by Bruce48
Spelling

22 hours ago, Bruce48 said:

I recently transplanted a large (10”+ caudex and starting to trunk) Dioon Holmgrenii and leaves have gone from upright to almost horizontal and flattening out. The plant was transplanted 6 days ago along with a few other large dioons that are looking great.

I would just keep an eye on it and watch for signs of anything going on with the center of the caudex.  I might even consider treating it like transplanting a pup if it continues to go down hill and trim off the leaves.  I think that is a little premature at this point though.  I don't know how your nights have been but we have had a mix, some very warm, and like last night we had clear and cold, but the clear nights this time of year are always the coldest near the coastal lagoons when offshore winds transport cold air all the way to the coastal low spots.  I doubt that weather related issues are the problem and if you have experience with other cycads, you know not to over water them (both literally and figuratively).  Keep the caudex dry this time of year and patience are my suggestions.  Good luck and post an update either way if this becomes its normal until it flushes again,  or if you have any new issues arise Bruce.

• Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

I bought two potted Dioon Spinulosum from PT member ChuckG about 2 years ago.  One was heavily rooted through the pot and into the soil.  It "collapsed" in about the same way, and we hypothesized that it lost water pressure to keep the fronds upright.  It stopped "collapsing" at around horizontal, and stayed that way for almost a year in ground.  It flushed about 15 nice fronds last spring, and again this spring.  So it could be from a sudden loss of roots.

@TracyThanks for the advice. I trimmed off the bottom ring of leaves and tied up the most recent flush just to relieve pressure on the caudex. Nights have dropped to low 40s with high 30s and rain in the near forecast. Definitely keeping it dry and I will post an update if anything changes.

BE861F1B-0B7B-49A9-9B12-3E92D631367A.jpeg

F24B917A-0D18-4CCA-ADE4-C710E437F6E4.jpeg

• Like 1