IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Roystonea Regia. Help!Lo

Peachs

Is it able to adapt to an interior with lots of light and with a temperature of + 20 °C all year round?  

No direct sun, no humidity outside and in a pot.

I mean that as a species it can adapt to those conditions, even if it grows much slower.  

What is your opinion?

Roystonia is not suitable as an interior palm. It is massive and does not want to be restricted by those growing conditions. It can certainly survive for a while but it will not be happy past the first few years. And you will not be happy when it’s trying to push through your ceiling. What is your goal? Did you get a seedling but you can’t plant outdoors? Or are you considering getting one? There are many other choices that would well work indoors.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Johnny Palmseed said:

Roystonia is not suitable as an interior palm. It is massive and does not want to be restricted by those growing conditions. It can certainly survive for a while but it will not be happy past the first few years. And you will not be happy when it’s trying to push through your ceiling. What is your goal? Did you get a seedling but you can’t plant outdoors? Or are you considering getting one? There are many other choices that would well work indoors.

I have a high area (4 meters) and Regia seems cheap ($ 80 3 meters).  If you think palm will die soon, better another option.

@Peachs how about a picture of your space?

We could advise better.

Roystonea probably will grow, but it will be but a shadow of its potential inside. They need sun and space.

There’s many other palms that will be much better.

Maybe advise as to other palm species carried in local retailers?

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

2 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

@Peachs how about a picture of your space?

We could advise better.

Roystonea probably will grow, but it will be but a shadow of its potential inside. They need sun and space.

There’s many other palms that will be much better.

Maybe advise as to other palm species carried in local retailers?

It is the reduced space of ascent to the upper floor (stairs) where there are 4 meters.  

Currently I have a Kentia in that area but it is extremely slow, it has 2 meters of free height left.

I am looking for a palm tree that is fast growing, but withstands the shade.  I mean, I don't want to wait 20 years for me to be 3-4 meters...

2 hours ago, Peachs said:

It is the reduced space of ascent to the upper floor (stairs) where there are 4 meters.  

Currently I have a Kentia in that area but it is extremely slow, it has 2 meters of free height left.

I am looking for a palm tree that is fast growing, but withstands the shade.  I mean, I don't want to wait 20 years for me to be 3-4 meters...

Okay.

You might want to consider an Archontophoenix species. They’re fast, but they won’t overwhelm your space as quickly. @sashaeffer one of our resident indoor master gardeners, could give a better idea how fast.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

On 11/27/2021 at 8:39 PM, D Palm said:

They grow really fast in the ground outdoors, full sun. Humidity helps. It will struggle in a pot, indoors. 

On 11/27/2021 at 1:33 PM, Johnny Palmseed said:

On 11/27/2021 at 10:22 PM, DoomsDave said:

Okay.

You might want to consider an Archontophoenix species. They’re fast, but they won’t overwhelm your space as quickly. @sashaeffer one of our resident indoor master gardeners, could give a better idea how fast.

Finally, A. Alexandrae.

7078-DF40-59-E1-4-A33-9397-7-C81-E1-C914

I hope he does well.  Soon I will transplant to a larger pot.  The goal is for it to grow fast, it is 2 meters above it.

• Like 2

@Peachs give it a big pot and put a deep dish or tub at the bottom to hold extra water.

Keep watered.

zoooom to the moon!

Another good thing is that "Archies" will grow well in the shade much better than Royals.

C7316427-4E21-43E1-8F83-66531AF26528.thumb.jpeg.65ff454959f6945c4398d4e44f558110.jpeg

• Like 4

This past early spring, in my neighbor’s front shrubbery, a little sprout of a palm stuck a frond out of the brush in full sun.  I thought maybe they planted a small Majesty Palm from one of those multi-plant arrangements people get for the office or home table.  

Here’s what it looks like today.  8-10 feet tall from maybe 18-24 inches when I noticed it in the spring.  I asked him about it, and he didn’t plant it.  He thought it was a baby foxtail that sprouted randomly, I told him that I thought it was a Royal offspring from the giants across the street.   

I’ve never seen a palm grow so big, so fast.  No fertilizer, no care.  Just a random weed that popped up.  It happens all the time here, but Roystonea regia is native here…..  so it has an edge.   78DA9B15-7DE7-4AA5-BC6E-380AB860B82B.thumb.jpeg.4554c1cb376e53c9b4d0764de867e32a.jpeg

Last year at this time, if you looked there, it wasn’t seen.   

Here’s some Bismarkia weeds nearby…..  came back after a good weed-whacking. 63B6F1E7-BC25-47EA-B3C7-28C6B3156BF3.thumb.jpeg.b0bfb124f7f1f1a5d16bfac19e89dccb.jpeg

Here’s the king of all palm-weeds, Ptychosperma elegans that popped up in a pot of bromeliads…  I pull the sprouts every day, everywhere.  FA56CCED-5625-4D18-86B3-77B53CC1D0C6.thumb.jpeg.edf467327149136e9f601375001c8af4.jpeg

I think anything is a better choice than a Royal, for indoors.   

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, Looking Glass said:

This past early spring, in my neighbor’s front shrubbery, a little sprout of a palm stuck a frond out of the brush in full sun.  I thought maybe they planted a small Majesty Palm from one of those multi-plant arrangements people get for the office or home table.  

Here’s what it looks like today.  8-10 feet tall from maybe 18-24 inches when I noticed it in the spring.  I asked him about it, and he didn’t plant it.  He thought it was a baby foxtail that sprouted randomly, I told him that I thought it was a Royal offspring from the giants across the street.   

I’ve never seen a palm grow so big, so fast.  No fertilizer, no care.  Just a random weed that popped up.  It happens all the time here, but Roystonea regia is native here…..  so it has an edge.   78DA9B15-7DE7-4AA5-BC6E-380AB860B82B.thumb.jpeg.4554c1cb376e53c9b4d0764de867e32a.jpeg

Last year at this time, if you looked there, it wasn’t seen.   

Here’s some Bismarkia weeds nearby…..  came back after a good weed-whacking. 63B6F1E7-BC25-47EA-B3C7-28C6B3156BF3.thumb.jpeg.b0bfb124f7f1f1a5d16bfac19e89dccb.jpeg

Here’s the king of all palm-weeds, Ptychosperma elegans that popped up in a pot of bromeliads…  I pull the sprouts every day, everywhere.  FA56CCED-5625-4D18-86B3-77B53CC1D0C6.thumb.jpeg.edf467327149136e9f601375001c8af4.jpeg

I think anything is a better choice than a Royal, for indoors.   

For most purposes, I agree that P. elegans is better, but Peachs wants rapid vertical height, and a king type is a LOT faster.

1 hour ago, DoomsDave said:

@Peachs give it a big pot and put a deep dish or tub at the bottom to hold extra water.

Keep watered.

zoooom to the moon!

Another good thing is that "Archies" will grow well in the shade much better than Royals.

C7316427-4E21-43E1-8F83-66531AF26528.thumb.jpeg.65ff454959f6945c4398d4e44f558110.jpeg

Thank you ;)

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

For most purposes, I agree that P. elegans is better, but Peachs wants rapid vertical height, and a king type is a LOT faster.

Oh, I was just showing random pop-ups around the house.  I’ve grown to actually hate P elegans, as they are causing problems out back, and the birds put the seeds everywhere.   They are also planted everywhere here, and seem to be the most common messy volunteer in my neighborhood.  

They can be a nice vertical smaller palm in the right spot, when cared for and maintained.  

I love the look of King family palms, but they need tons of water in my sand here.  I gave away my Cunningham in a pot to a friend who really wanted to give it a go in the yard.   I think I like them because they are pretty rare around here.  I think we are all attracted to cool stuff that is uncommon for us locally to a certain degree.   Sometimes it’s forbidden fruit for a logical reason…. Lol.   

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2