RJ

New palm plantings - South Carolina

RJ

Actually planted these this spring. I planted a filabusta but a rabbit or something ate it to the ground. :wacko:

I also planted butia but it drowned in all the rain we got this spring. I’ll try again this upcoming spring. 

Below is a mule , planted as a two gallon maybe, it took right off without skipping a beat. 

7BC05826-37D6-4540-9F43-25BEFE7946B0.jpeg

CECE6514-0311-479C-86FB-054294F6F31E.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

RJ

Sabal causiarum as a large liner, growing very quickly for a sabal 

2D7741C3-AE03-4EE7-B95A-86E43B59E067.jpeg

Edited by RJ
  • Like 5

RJ

A minor actually planted two of them 

0836AC22-57A6-43C6-8D7A-25AAE2000777.jpeg

• Like 5

RJ

Trachy 

0E13F27A-7F4E-4786-B395-E121494681AB.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

RJ

Big double trachy 

5EE82FEC-4524-44F4-AD5E-66990241A16B.jpeg

983CCD8D-B2C7-4652-96CC-39D65DD19CC6.jpeg

• Like 6

RJ

Also planted a filifera but that was eaten as well. I’ll try again in the spring. 

my folks are right next to the lake and are considerably warmer than most of the surrounding area . They still haven’t had a frost or any temps below the upper 30’s. 

Edited by RJ

OC2Texaspalmlvr

Nice start, I'm guessing this at your new casa correct ? Planting your bulletproof palms makes the most sense. I'm sure he had been itching to get some in the ground like myself. Looking forward to all the other palms you have ready to get in the ground. Causiarum was my first planting more to come this next spring =) 

T J 

20211023_134420.jpg

• Like 3

RJ
13 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

ground

Nah, this is my folks place. They just moved down here last year from the northern tundra. Had enough of snow and my kids(3) are their youngest of 13. 

should be breaking ground on my place in the next  couple weeks or so. 

good choice on your first palm gonna be a monster . B) How is your soil there?

how do you like ranch life? That’s what we’re building. I really like them but all the ones around here are like 40 years old. You just never see them built anymore. 

Edited by RJ

OC2Texaspalmlvr
3 hours ago, RJ said:

should be breaking ground on my place in the next  couple weeks or so. 

good choice on your first palm gonna be a monster . B) How is your soil there?

Dang you haven't caught a break on your house build huh. Glad to hear your about to start tho , so many palms itching to be set free haha 

So I was pleasantly surprised to find my new soil isn't straight gumbo clay like my last place. Seems to be a lil bit more workable and much easier to dig =) 

T J 

RJ
1 minute ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Dang you haven't caught a break on your house build huh. Glad to hear your about to start tho , so many palms itching to be set free haha 

So I was pleasantly surprised to find my new soil isn't straight gumbo clay like my last place. Seems to be a lil bit more workable and much easier to dig =) 

T J 

A lot of the issues with the delays are the lead times currently for products. For instance my windows and doors are 13 weeks out :crying:. We are hoping to be in July next year.  Looking to put a pool in as well, but dam they’re expensive right now. Like everything else I suppose. 

RJ

OC2Texaspalmlvr
1 hour ago, RJ said:

A lot of the issues with the delays are the lead times currently for products. For instance my windows and doors are 13 weeks out :crying:. We are hoping to be in July next year.  Looking to put a pool in as well, but dam they’re expensive right now. Like everything else I suppose. 

RJ

The delays are absolute BS and a whole other subject at hand haha We are actually about to break ground on our pool here in a week or so. We got lucky found a start up pool company that only charges 12% over contractor cost so we're building a 22k gallon pool for 53k instead of 80k like all the other pool companies we got quotes from smh 

T J 

• Like 1

RJ
11 minutes ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

The delays are absolute BS and a whole other subject at hand haha We are actually about to break ground on our pool here in a week or so. We got lucky found a start up pool company that only charges 12% over contractor cost so we're building a 22k gallon pool for 53k instead of 80k like all the other pool companies we got quotes from smh 

T J 

Nice ask them if they travel to SC :P

did you go fiberglass?

Edited by RJ
  • Like 1

OC2Texaspalmlvr
18 minutes ago, RJ said:

Nice ask them if they travel to SC :P

did you go fiberglass?

Haha yeah the company still all have regular jobs and literally are doing this as a sufe hustle !!! We are doing gunite pebble tech , so rebar and the whole nine , concrete pond haha 

T J 

• Like 1