IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

C. Macrocarpa in Atlantic Beach

NickJames

My friend @shminbabe has a c. Macrocarpa that she is worried about. 

per her words; the newest growth has “gone limp” 

It’s been cool in Atlantic Beach but certainly nowhere near frost or freeze territory. She has an amazing microclimate. 

does the palm look okay?

D34D8746-3E66-45F8-B874-63895BB16752.jpeg

CC06D41E-6073-4576-8D88-B1F877C38F33.jpeg

0E5BDF7F-AB27-4DC7-AE60-66D2F0741D85.jpeg

3B06CC13-13E5-4339-A8CA-456370B1E679.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

I have one that had a frond come out like that and that one frond still looks limp but the next one came out fine I Don’t know why it did that but I think it will be ok.

• Like 1

Looks a little wimpy to me. These are pretty hardy palms, generally easy but that one looks like it's suffering a bit. It's not the weather.

• Upvote 1

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

Interesting someone is having a go with this palm in Jacks. I know it tends to be warmer by the coast but did not think the area could support this one. Interested to see how it fairs.

On 11/25/2021 at 11:41 PM, NickJames said:

My friend @shminbabe has a c. Macrocarpa that she is worried about. 

per her words; the newest growth has “gone limp” 

It’s been cool in Atlantic Beach but certainly nowhere near frost or freeze territory. She has an amazing microclimate. 

does the palm look okay?

D34D8746-3E66-45F8-B874-63895BB16752.jpeg

CC06D41E-6073-4576-8D88-B1F877C38F33.jpeg

0E5BDF7F-AB27-4DC7-AE60-66D2F0741D85.jpeg

3B06CC13-13E5-4339-A8CA-456370B1E679.jpeg

NickJames: Could you please tell me what a C. macrocarpa is?  There are several palms with the species name of "Macrocarpa". 

46 minutes ago, Johnny Palmseed said:

@howfam it is a Chambeyronia Macrocarpa.

Thanks for the clarification.  There is a chance for some success with this palm if properly situated (microclimate) and established, especially in Atlantic Beach. Good luck with it, and please keep us updated on its status.

Hmmm 

Howdy @NickJames good to see you again!

Chambeyronias seem to like clay or clayish soil and a lot of moisture but also decent drainage.

I suspect @shminbabe has soil that might be sandier than the palm likes.

I’ve raised hundreds and they sometimes do that if they thrive a while and get too dry, usually when the potting soil deteriorates.

This one isn’t in a pot, I know. 

Maybe try a top dressing of some humus or decayed leaves around the base?

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

11 hours ago, howfam said:

Thanks for the clarification.  There is a chance for some success with this palm if properly situated (microclimate) and established, especially in Atlantic Beach. Good luck with it, and please keep us updated on its status.

No problem but I doubt this has any long term likelihood of survival. Atlantic Beach is surrounded by water but it’s still Jacksonville. I lived there before moving to Merritt Island and did the zone pushing thing for a while. Until we got a week of temps in the teens. I lost pretty much everything and did not have anything as exotic as this. The USDA zones have been pushed northward based on average minimum temperatures but it doesn’t change the actual minimum temperature that is likely to occur on any given day. Look at what happened in Texas. It has been colder than normal for November and while I haven’t been paying attention to Jacksonville temps, we are around 50 degrees at night. 150 miles south of Atlantic Beach and it’s only November. I never saw a Chambeyronia in Jacksonville and never saw a mature one until we moved here. Of course, there are likely examples between here and Jacksonville but I think this is pushing the zone beyond what is sustainable.

Hi guys, I'm the one with the Chambeyronia Macrocarpa aka Flamethrower palm in Atlantic Beach, Fl.  I planted it last April and it was grown from seed on Pine Island, FL.  It is planted under a tall canopy of Magnolia and Live Oak in a maritime forest microclimate about three blocks from the coast.  It is supposed to be cold-hardy to the upper 20s.  I really do have a microclimate going here and yes, it IS cold early this season.  We've have some nights in the 40s already.  I was surprised when this gorgeous frond opened; I thought it might go dormant until Spring.  But it unfurled and was gorgeous red, and that night it was cold, and the next day it was just...limp.  As described.  I am perplexed and concerned!

So I'll try a top dressing of peat moss...and a little prayer!

I also have two Spindle palms, a picabeen, and a king alexander growing here so it should be interesting.  And a coconut palm b/c it was left behind all alone at Home Depot last spring. I know that one is doomed, but it's a fun experiment nonetheless.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, shminbabe said:

Hi guys, I'm the one with the Chambeyronia Macrocarpa aka Flamethrower palm in Atlantic Beach, Fl.  I planted it last April and it was grown from seed on Pine Island, FL.  It is planted under a tall canopy of Magnolia and Live Oak in a maritime forest microclimate about three blocks from the coast.  It is supposed to be cold-hardy to the upper 20s.  I really do have a microclimate going here and yes, it IS cold early this season.  We've have some nights in the 40s already.  I was surprised when this gorgeous frond opened; I thought it might go dormant until Spring.  But it unfurled and was gorgeous red, and that night it was cold, and the next day it was just...limp.  As described.  I am perplexed and concerned!

I also have two Spindle palms, a picabeen, and a king alexander growing here so it should be interesting.  And a coconut palm b/c it was left behind all alone at Home Depot last spring. I know that one is doomed, but it's a fun experiment nonetheless.

I admire your determination and perseverance in growing zone pushed palms. There are people here in Jacksonville with mature Royal palms 20 -plus years in the ground. Dr. Rossi in Hastings has done an amazing job of growing tender palms in Hastings - North Florida.  The palm society meeting at his place next Saturday should be interesting to anyone wanting to grow tender palms. Keep up the good work and keep us updated on the Chambey's progress.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, shminbabe said:

Well it sounds like you could have a chance I guess. A good microclimate and perhaps slightly hardier examples of palms might make a difference. How is the soil in that area? Sandy and dry? One problem with palms in the winter is getting the balance right with watering. Too much and they rot out, but too little and they desiccate. And did you previously fertilize your palms? The Florida sand does not hold any nutrients. Peat moss is a good soil amendment although it works better to add it before planting. By itself it tends to be light and dry and will probably blow away if not tilled in. You could try adding a light coat of pine bark chips as mulch as well. Good luck with your venture and definitely keep posting the progress.