Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Fallen Munk

This season's Jubaea germination

Recommended Posts

Fallen Munk

Placing a marker here to document this seasons Jubaea germination method.  A few hundred seeds mixed with wet Hydroton in a styrofoam cooler.  I'm putting the cooler on top of my water heater.

My previous method of cracking the seeds open to remove the shell would have been too much work for this many seeds.  

jubaeaseeds.jpg

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Las Palmas Norte

Awesome! I ordered some Jubaea seeds from Whatcom Seed in Eugene, but they're out of stock.:( I will have to track some down somewhere.

Keep us posted on their progress. Cheers.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jesse PNW

Have you germinated Jubaea seed before? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fallen Munk
3 hours ago, Jesse PNW said:

Have you germinated Jubaea seed before? 

Yes.  I previously have removed the shells though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fallen Munk
5 hours ago, Las Palmas Norte said:

Awesome! I ordered some Jubaea seeds from Whatcom Seed in Eugene, but they're out of stock.:( I will have to track some down somewhere.

Keep us posted on their progress. Cheers.

 

I buy mine on ebay.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Las Palmas Norte
3 minutes ago, Fallen Munk said:

I buy mine on ebay.

Thanks. I will check that out.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bruce Steele

I have a collection of Jubaea seeds from four different trees in Santa Barbara. The round ones upper right are from a tree at the lawn bowling park. The single large round one is from a tree on private property close to the Mission Rose Garden. The left side seeds are from two trees on the lawn by the Mission Rose garden. I don’t usually crack the seeds to germinate them but I cracked a few of the seeds from the Rose Garden trees and they have double or triples inside them. The round seeds I have germinated from the lawn bowling park tree never have doubles or triples. 
 The wooden mallet and stone bowl work nicely cracking nuts. Those I damage get chopped finely , sautéed with butter and added to cookies. 
I was eating Jubaea seeds before I started trying to germinate them. I wish I had started growing them thirty years ago when I discovered they were eatable little coconuts. 
 I have five young Jubaea growing that I germinated a few years ago. They were in a greenhouse when we hit ( 120 F in the shade )  a couple years ago. So they scorched their leaf tips but survived it.  I think they are much happier in the ground . 

 

 

image.jpeg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NWpalms@206

Jubaea propagation must take the patience of a saint and I commend you. It must be like watching a kid grow up, and at about the same speed. Im always in awe when i see a 3-4 ft Jubaea and get told its about 15 yrs old! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bruce Steele

I have gardened and farmed my own land to keep a vegetable stand with corn, tomatoes, onions and everything needed to make a farm stand generate return customers. But I was younger then . Gardening is a lifetime of effort and the trees we leave behind like  Jubaea, or a twenty foot Mango where I used to live in SB , or old pear trees, or the Bunya Bunya and Moreton bay fig trees waiting in the greenhouse, those are the few things that outlive us. We may keep heirloom garden seeds going but  collecting and germinating Jubaea from historic landmark trees is kinda like deep time seed saving. There are names and legends of the men who planted them.  Without the effort of those first fifteen years waiting for a trunk to appear the trees won’t have stories to tell our grandchildren. 
 

 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NWpalms@206
38 minutes ago, bruce Steele said:

I have gardened and farmed my own land to keep a vegetable stand with corn, tomatoes, onions and everything needed to make a farm stand generate return customers. But I was younger then . Gardening is a lifetime of effort and the trees we leave behind like  Jubaea, or a twenty foot Mango where I used to live in SB , or old pear trees, or the Bunya Bunya and Moreton bay fig trees waiting in the greenhouse, those are the few things that outlive us. We may keep heirloom garden seeds going but  collecting and germinating Jubaea from historic landmark trees is kinda like deep time seed saving. There are names and legends of the men who planted them.  Without the effort of those first fifteen years waiting for a trunk to appear the trees won’t have stories to tell our grandchildren. 
 

 

Palm Tree Pioneers, I have much respect and appreciation for those efforts that built the foundation for our palm community. If I plant a seedling jubaea now it would be around for my great grandkids, and maybe their kids! That’s pretty cool. I think I will, was offered a 2 leaf strap seedling jubaea but I turned it down, a little discouraged by how long It would take to grow. But I think I’ll go back for that soon. It’s gonna grow up someday somewhere so why not my place! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Scott W
1 hour ago, NWpalms@206 said:

Jubaea propagation must take the patience of a saint and I commend you. It must be like watching a kid grow up, and at about the same speed. Im always in awe when i see a 3-4 ft Jubaea and get told its about 15 yrs old! 

Oddly I don't recall them.being that difficult, but then again that was nearly 20 years ago, so my memory is a little hazy :floor:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
matthedlund
1 minute ago, Scott W said:

Oddly I don't recall them.being that difficult, but then again that was nearly 20 years ago, so my memory is a little hazy :floor:

They're not difficult to germinate so long as you have lots of seed and you forget about them for 6 months in that tub in the greenhouse.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NWpalms@206
49 minutes ago, matthedlund said:

I've also got fresh seed from the Fall available now. https://www.wanderlustnursery.com/shop/products/p/chilean-wine-palm

Still have that Jub seedling I saw with the Catarinas and JBxSS? Now I kinda regret leaving it.  I think I’ll pick that up sometime and try to avoid staring at it to grow! For the Long term, for the great grandkids lol. 

Edited by NWpalms@206

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NWpalms@206
29 minutes ago, Scott W said:

Oddly I don't recall them.being that difficult, but then again that was nearly 20 years ago, so my memory is a little hazy :floor:

I wouldn’t know but it just seems a painstakingly long process to get a jubaea from seed to decent specimen. Had planned on just buying a box jubaea and skip 10+ yrs but it would be cool to grow from seedling also. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bruce Steele

An open tub with lots of seeds in the greenhouse worked for me. I am currently trying the bottom heat 90F daytime 65F night temperatures in baggies perlite/ peat on heating pads. I cracked some this year as an experiment. 
I will move them into the greenhouse when the greenhouse temperatures warm up at night. I would like the greenhouse to mimic the 90-65 fluctuation . 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chester B

Fresh seeds are key. Probably the easiest Palm I’ve ever germinated. Almost 100% in just over a month. No heat, nothing. I set them on top of damp soil in a ziploc container in a spare room and voila. 

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
matthedlund
36 minutes ago, bruce Steele said:

An open tub with lots of seeds in the greenhouse worked for me. I am currently trying the bottom heat 90F daytime 65F night temperatures in baggies perlite/ peat on heating pads. I cracked some this year as an experiment. 
I will move them into the greenhouse when the greenhouse temperatures warm up at night. I would like the greenhouse to mimic the 90-65 fluctuation . 

 

I think the warm day/ cool night cycle is the best approach. 90F might be too high though, I would probably stick to the low 80's. I've also found that if you have seed that's been reluctant to sprout after some time, a gentle drying and rehydrating will get some of them to pop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
matthedlund
3 hours ago, NWpalms@206 said:

Still have that Jub seedling I saw with the Catarinas and JBxSS? Now I kinda regret leaving it.  I think I’ll pick that up sometime and try to avoid staring at it to grow! For the Long term, for the great grandkids lol. 

Oh I've got tons of seedlings, they're all just about a year old from germination. I usually sell them in 1 gallon pots at 2 years. It'll be here and I'm planning on bringing in a few 15 gallon plants in the spring. I've had a few folks inquire now this winter.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NWpalms@206
7 minutes ago, matthedlund said:

Oh I've got tons of seedlings, they're all just about a year old from germination. I usually sell them in 1 gallon pots at 2 years. It'll be here and I'm planning on bringing in a few 15 gallon plants in the spring. I've had a few folks inquire now this winter.

Sounds good. Sign me up, I may even be interested in a bigger box jubaea like I said before, if you can get your hands on one. And I’ll get a seedling too, no rush if theres plenty, Thanks! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MarkbVet

@NWpalms@206  if you can't get a large Jubaea elsewhere,  Oregon Palms near Salem has them, I think 15 gallon and 24 inch large box.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NWpalms@206
2 minutes ago, MarkbVet said:

@NWpalms@206  if you can't get a large Jubaea elsewhere,  Oregon Palms near Salem has them, I think 15 gallon and 24 inch large box.   

Thanks I’ll give them a look.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NWpalms@206

Seems like a solid place, I’d love to see a pic of one of their 24” box jubaea 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chester B

@NWpalms@206 You can also contact Palmscape in Boring,Oregon. Jaime carries big Jubaea there as well. 

Worth seeing who is willing to offer the best price  considering these aren’t cheap palms. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MarkbVet
50 minutes ago, NWpalms@206 said:

Seems like a solid place, I’d love to see a pic of one of their 24” box jubaea 

As you figured out, it's in Woodburn,  a smidge closer than Salem.  They had Trachys of course,  and I think Pindo's, some exotic yuccas, and lots of C. humilis var. cerifera, and lots of Jubaea.  Their Jubaeas are good sized; didn't get any pics, but the 15 gal. (my choice due to cost and ease of moving the pots) were maybe 3.5-4.5 feet across (leaf span) best I can recall, like a big Sago palm.   The 24 inch boxes were of course bigger, with short trunk beginning I think.   Yes I wish they had pics of those.   Not sure how many are in stock at end of winter; in the Fall they had them out in a gravel parking lot area, but also had big greenhouses behind there.  Not sure how many plants they leave out over the winter versus protected in greenhouses.  Hope to get a 15 gallon this spring/summer from there.  ChesterB says their prices are good for the size plants they sell.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chester B

I bought a couple Chamaerops humilis argentea from Oregon palms at a plant sale.  I spoke with the owner for a while and left with a good impression. He started as a palm enthusiast and it grew from there.  Based on what I’ve seen their prices are competitive. The palm growers out here all know one another and trade or sell plants to one another and I’m sure all know what each other’s going rates are. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...