Sign in to follow this  
Will Simpson

Washy hardiness opportunity :

Will Simpson

I got down to 24F the night before last , and it will be well above that for the next few weeks , it looks like ,  so  I should  finally be able to  find out if my Washy is hardy at 24F or if damage starts , etc.  I always thought it was frond hardy to 23F , and now I will have a perfect opportunity to at least take 24F off of the damage question about its hardiness . If it handles 24F well it might look decent well into December or into January  .

I'll  watch it over the next few weeks and see what 24F does to it . 

51704922894_4d24517672_b.jpg

• Like 4

PalmatierMeg

Looks like it handled a quick dip to 24F. The issue is how it will handle many consecutive hours/even days of temps below 30F.

Will Simpson

I'll protect the trunk , which I have to do at least  50% of the winters here , if I see something  below 16F . I've been lucky the last 2 winters with a low  of 19F for the winter of 2019-2020 ,  and a low of 16F for last winter . 

Will

Edited by Will Simpson

UK_Palms

As Meg says, a late fall freeze down to 24F isn't so much of a problem when the following day warms up to 50-60F and then no more freezes for a week or two. The problems will come later in winter when you start having a low of 23-24F followed by a high of only 34-35F during the day and then another low of 24F the following night. Basically 18 hours below freezing at a time. If you guys get snow as well it will trash the fronds, so it will be near impossible to tell what temperatures damaged the fronds, since the snow will damage them regardless. Unless you only get a light dusting. Mind you the Robusta's in London didn't take damage last winter, despite it being a pretty long, harsh winter with lows down to 23F. There's lots of variables at play and perhaps there is more Filifera genetics in that hybrid than you think...

• Like 2

Will Simpson

I had a  several day cold snap in 2019-20 ,  and had a rare  20F Llow on November 13th . That 20F did zap it . The one other temperature lower than that in that winter  was a January or February 19F . That pissed me off to have that palm turn ugly on  November 13th  .

I get a good feel for what damages it as I assess it going into December .

Thanks ,

Will

Edited by Will Simpson

Jimhardy

geeeez.    Its not like your some newbie asking for advice or something..and

you just plated the palm at that size haha.....mine was always good to 23F and

then the leaves would take some damage....anyway,I think you have been more than

successful at growing that Washy there and knowing what to do over the years to keep it alive.

Las Palmas Norte

As pointed out, it duration of the freeze. You can put a delicate butterfly in a freezer for a few minutes with no issues. Beyond that, well ...

Will Simpson
On 11/25/2021 at 5:33 PM, Jimhardy said:

geeeez.    Its not like your some newbie asking for advice or something..and

you just plated the palm at that size haha.....mine was always good to 23F and

then the leaves would take some damage....anyway,I think you have been more than

successful at growing that Washy there and knowing what to do over the years to keep it alive.

I have learned a lot over the years but it's nice to have a 24F and then not see colder temperatures  for a few weeks later to see what a 24F does to the fronds . Maybe later I'll have a 23F and then some milder weather to see exactly what 23F does to the fronds . So far so good at 24F Jim  .

Will

• Like 2