IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Frozen Pots :(

ColumbusPalm

Hey All,

Made a stupid mistake and left out my potted palms too long. It has consistently been getting into 40’s 50’s as highs still so didn’t think this would happen, but the lows in the mid/high 20s froze the soil in my potted Trachys and Sabal. 

Any hope or will they likely all perish? 

Thanks 

Nate 

8 minutes ago, ColumbusPalm said:

Hey All,

Made a stupid mistake and left out my potted palms too long. It has consistently been getting into 40’s 50’s as highs still so didn’t think this would happen, but the lows in the mid/high 20s froze the soil in my potted Trachys and Sabal. 

Any hope or will they likely all perish? 

Thanks 

Nate 

Not really sure, ive never left my Sabal seedlings out long enough to even get frost on them.

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

how large were the pots and palms?  I  have had some really big trunked ones out to 20F that had no problem, but I'd bring smaller ones in.  Medium ones I'd bring in under 25F

IMG_1697.JPG

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

Well that gives me hope, thank you. They can’t have been frozen long. Brought them all in. Anywhere from 1-5 gallon. 

8EEAD767-84E4-481A-B986-874A82AA0CE2.thumb.jpeg.91752d81b6c0586bd6a7279ed51ffcde.jpeg

17 minutes ago, ColumbusPalm said:

Well that gives me hope, thank you. They can’t have been frozen long. Brought them all in. Anywhere from 1-5 gallon. 

Probably OK but wouldn't leave those that size out in freezing again though.

I planted that potted one this year.  Roots seemed OKKKKKKKK

plantedpalm3.jpg

Edited by Allen
  • Like 2

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

They should be fine. The bigger the pot the better regarding the cold, so in a small container, you need to be more vigilant.  I still have out mine against the south side of garage but the pots are big enough that they get enough heat to pull through the night unfrozen.  Yeah, it's been really chilly during recent nights.

CDCD2175-12BF-4921-8BFE-83AA84055BD4.jpeg

Edited by oasis371
  • Like 1

I once left a small Chamaerops Humilis outdoors in a pot and it went down to like 20F. The next morning the pot was frozen solid like an ice block. I brought it indoors to thaw out and it didn't show any problems whatsoever. Stuff like Trachycarpus, Sabal, Chamaerops, Jubaea etc are pretty damn hardy and seem to handle having their roots frozen. Washingtonia on the other hand will not tolerate frozen roots, at least hybrids and Robusta's certainly wont. A low of 25F froze some of my smaller potted hybrids and caused pretty bad damage, although it didn't kill them. If the pot is small, you can always dig a hole and bury it into the ground for 3-4 months with a bit of overhead shelter to keep rain out. 

• Like 1

Dry-summer Oceanic climate (9a)

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

On Dec. 1st, my Washys will to go into a heated, sunny, loft garage until March 1st. along with the Butias, Queens, Canary Dates, less hardy Trachys, Cycads, and Sabals. It's worked for the last 16 years.

• Like 1