IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Is this brahea brandegeei?

DesertCoconut

I went to Treeland in Mesa, AZ today. They have a "palmy oasis" as I like to call it with about 20 different species of palms most of which are not available at local nurseries (including Treeland, ironically). I could identify most all of them, but this one had me stumped until I went searching for pictures on Google. I was pretty sure it was a brahea, but the trunk was so slim and retained leaf bases all the way down. It was about the thickness of a telephone pole (or maybe even a little thinner) all the way to the ground with no huge bulge at the base like most other slim-trunked palms. (I'm looking at you W. robusta!)  My conclusion from my research turned up brahea brandegeei. Did I get it right? If so, I need to go find some of these because I'm running out ground space for tall palms and this one could fill in some tight spaces perfectly. I also find it more attractive than a robusta.

20211123_104354.jpg

20211123_104623.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DesertCoconut said:

I went to Treeland in Mesa, AZ today. They have a "palmy oasis" as I like to call it with about 20 different species of palms most of which are not available at local nurseries (including Treeland, ironically). I could identify most all of them, but this one had me stumped until I went searching for pictures on Google. I was pretty sure it was a brahea, but the trunk was so slim and retained leaf bases all the way down. It was about the thickness of a telephone pole (or maybe even a little thinner) all the way to the ground with no huge bulge at the base like most other slim-trunked palms. (I'm looking at you W. robusta!)  My conclusion from my research turned up brahea brandegeei. Did I get it right? If so, I need to go find some of these because I'm running out ground space for tall palms and this one could fill in some tight spaces perfectly. I also find it more attractive than a robusta.

20211123_104354.jpg

20211123_104623.jpg

Don't think it is.. But..   Been told numerous times this specimen, up at the Xeric Demo Garden ( at the library in Glendale ) is B. brandegeei.  Scratch my head whenever i see it vs. other specimens i have seen.

DSC03745.thumb.JPG.1b603352146297f4fd5ff7af25ee68bf.JPG

DSC03746.thumb.JPG.0b5c50f950c5313eeb2031d40fe214ac.JPG

DSC08451.thumb.JPG.5afb21720e9708e796e29e12ca05ebfe.JPG

Regardless of which one is legit ( vs. a possible cross w/ another Brahea sp ), been hoping this thing would produce seed since i first saw it years ago.. Never seen any on it when i've visited, nor signs of seed stalks ( could be purposely removed )

If he's around when you're visiting, the owner of Treeland should know which Brahea it is for sure ( ..and possibly the one at the Xeric Garden.. He might have installed it, years ago..  )

Edited by Silas_Sancona
edit

Yes it’s a Brahea Brandegeei. I’ve spoken personally to Keith (Owners Son), and he told me it’s a BBrandegeei. I actually purchased my Brandegeei there from him. Treeland has a bunch of different palms in the back of the nursery that aren’t for sale to the public. If you find Keith and make conversation and start a relationship with him, he’ll take you back there and purchase directly through him.

heres my Brandegeei from treeland.

A601AC37-91D6-447D-8833-CD1518763884.jpeg

• Like 5