IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Zone 7b palmettos?

ky_palm064

Besides the well known Bald Island ecotype, Plant Delights (NC, USA) nursery had the Mt. Holly, Rock Hill, and Tifton Hardy palmettos on their website. Any experience with these?

You seem to be in 6B.  I have a small Palmetto in 7A and it will need some protection.  In 6B most winters it will need to be covered.  it will take 3 years for you to have a 3 foot tall palm from the Plant Delights ones.  Here is a pic of mine after about 3 seasons from Plant Delights.  

Tropicals 9-2021-2.jpg

• Like 3

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

12 hours ago, Allen said:

You seem to be in 6B.  I have a small Palmetto in 7A and it will need some protection.  In 6B most winters it will need to be covered.  it will take 3 years for you to have a 3 foot tall palm from the Plant Delights ones.  Here is a pic of mine after about 3 seasons from Plant Delights.  

Tropicals 9-2021-2.jpg

Yes I'm in 6b. I appreciate your advice. I'd love to try a palmetto, but I was mostly wondering if folks in slightly warmer areas than mine, had tried these palmettos grown from seeds of survivors of cold snaps (grown in areas colder than the native range). I thought this might be a good topic that hasn't been covered before. I've seen topics on Brazorias, Riversides, Birminghams, Louisianas etc.

29 minutes ago, ky_palm064 said:

Yes I'm in 6b. I appreciate your advice. I'd love to try a palmetto, but I was mostly wondering if folks in slightly warmer areas than mine, had tried these palmettos grown from seeds of survivors of cold snaps (grown in areas colder than the native range). I thought this might be a good topic that hasn't been covered before. I've seen topics on Brazorias, Riversides, Birminghams, Louisianas etc.

I don't remember anyone on here with one from Plant Delights more than a few years old.  They are more cold hardy when trunk is at ground level.  They take many years to get a trunk of any size.  Most trunked Palmetto you see are dug from FL where they are like weeds but may be many decades old.  Palms grown from seedlings in a colder area will be more cold hardy because of their better root structure than palms put in at a larger size.   Palmetto are a 8A palm and I know PD says 7B on some but who knows.  I think they are more 7B when they are small.  When trunked 10F is around their practical limit, when sized like mine 5F or so maybe.  

• Upvote 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

I think the main factor in getting them to survive in a colder zone is planting in a microclimate. Against a foundation on a south facing wall can make a huge difference than being planted in a super exposed place in the garden. Overhead cover is very important. If planted as an understory palm under a mature pine tree for example would shield a palm and for arguments sake let’s say a half zone of hardiness in my opinion. A very cold winter could kill them regardless, look at what happened in Texas last year. Palmetto seemed to make it where other palms didn’t, but there were still some that died. I would have previously thought a palmetto would be bulletproof Dallas area and south. To the main point, planted out in the open in zone 7b seems like a matter of time until the cold gets it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

21 hours ago, teddytn said:

I think the main factor in getting them to survive in a colder zone is planting in a microclimate. Against a foundation on a south facing wall can make a huge difference than being planted in a super exposed place in the garden. Overhead cover is very important. If planted as an understory palm under a mature pine tree for example would shield a palm and for arguments sake let’s say a half zone of hardiness in my opinion. A very cold winter could kill them regardless, look at what happened in Texas last year. Palmetto seemed to make it where other palms didn’t, but there were still some that died. I would have previously thought a palmetto would be bulletproof Dallas area and south. To the main point, planted out in the open in zone 7b seems like a matter of time until the cold gets it.

Yes, I really agree. My minors and my Louisiana in my south micro-habitat are about 2-3 times bigger than minors from the same source and age, grown in open or shaded areas of my yard.

In my 6b climate, I've thought that a courtyard micro-habitat in a downtown, would be the best try for a trunking palm.

BUT, on January 19th, 1994, central Kentucky had a nice 20 inch (.5 meter) blanket of snow. Above the blanket, it was -22f in Louisville, -27f in Frankfort, -36f in Shelbyville, -40 f/C unofficially in Henry county (all sites 400 to 800 feet ASL).

https://www.wunderground.com/history/monthly/us/ky/louisville/KSDF/date/1994-1

I didn't have any palms then!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ky_palm064 said:

Yes, I really agree. My minors and my Louisiana in my south micro-habitat are about 2-3 times bigger than minors from the same source and age, grown in open or shaded areas of my yard.

In my 6b climate, I've thought that a courtyard micro-habitat in a downtown, would be the best try for a trunking palm.

BUT, on January 19th, 1994, central Kentucky had a nice 20 inch (.5 meter) blanket of snow. Above the blanket, it was -22f in Louisville, -27f in Frankfort, -36f in Shelbyville, -40 f/C unofficially in Henry county (all sites 400 to 800 feet ASL).

https://www.wunderground.com/history/monthly/us/ky/louisville/KSDF/date/1994-1

I didn't have any palms then!

I survived that. I was in high school and missed the whole week of school. Then I went to college in northern Wisconsin lol.
There were large Trachycarpus planted a few years after that at a car dealership or restaurant on the east end of Louisville that lasted a winter or two. I even planted a trachy that survived a mild winter and moved it to Texas but texas heat or saline city water was too much for it. 

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Like 1

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

16 hours ago, Will Simpson said:

My Tifton Hardy has been a real winner here . 

When did you plant that one and did you plant it from one of Plant Delights small sizes?  

On 11/26/2021 at 9:19 AM, Allen said:

When did you plant that one and did you plant it from one of Plant Delights small sizes?  

It was from PDN , and in a tiny pot about 8 years ago . It may not look it , but it is 7' to the tip of the tallest frond now . 

Will

• Like 3

• 9 months later...
28 minutes ago, N8ALLRIGHT said:

Updated pics?

Here's my 7a one but I guess you want to see Will's

IMG_3249.JPG

Edited by Allen
  • Like 2